Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2017, 09:59 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Actually it's like telling people you went to Harvard because they haven't heard of Wentwort Institute of Technology.
Is it? One can move to the city, nobody can stop you. I can't go get a degree from Harvard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 10:17 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,076 times
Quote:
Actually it's like telling people you went to Harvard because they haven't heard of Wentwort Institute of Technology.
Going to and graduating from harvard is an accoplishment. Being from somewhere is not.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:20 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Is it? One can move to the city, nobody can stop you. I can't go get a degree from Harvard.
He/she seems to have the assumption that to most people living in the big city is more desirable than the suburb and that is why people say the big city name.

Maybe that is true for some cities like San Francisco and New York City but I don't believe it is for the majority. I have met people from just outside Shreveport who say "I live in Shreveport" out of ease not because the city has some great reputation, which it doesn't (not to bash, I actually liked the place myself when I visited).

Old 01-01-2017, 10:22 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
Quote:
That's a terrible analogy. Going to Harvard is an attainment. Your place of residence is not.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:25 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,692,937 times
Because a suburb is a part of the city. There are no real boundaries that divide a city from it's suburbs.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:38 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,954,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Because a suburb is a part of the city. There are no real boundaries that divide a city from it's suburbs.
Taxes, school districts, crime rates. Often transit, urbanity.

Maybe my perception is skewed by having grown up in NYC, and living in Chicago, Boston and Pittsburgh. With the exception of the core Boston area towns (Cambridge, Sommerville and Brookline) there's a substantial difference between those cities and their suburbs.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:40 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
But there are.

I have heard people complain about suburbanites coming into the city and taking advantage of what it offers, while not contributing at all via taxes, etc.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:46 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
But there are.

I have heard people complain about suburbanites coming into the city and taking advantage of what it offers, while not contributing at all via taxes, etc.
How much truth is there, though, to those complaints? Last I checked, Texan cities mainly get revenue from property and sales tax. Property tax is mostly paid by residents but sales tax, I assume, would be paid by anyone who makes any sort of applicable purchases (since some items are tax free).

Plus, there are plenty of people who live in, say, Dallas who go to the suburbs to enjoy whatever they may have.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:50 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
But there are.

I'm assuming you're talking about the 20-35 group. They as a group increase property values, the landlords property tax increase but they pass that on with rent prices. They also don't usually have kids in the school systems.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:23 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,469,703 times
Quote:
Taxes, school districts, crime rates. Often transit, urbanity.

Maybe my perception is skewed by having grown up in NYC, and living in Chicago, Boston and Pittsburgh. With the exception of the core Boston area towns (Cambridge, Sommerville and Brookline) there's a substantial difference between those cities and their suburbs.
There's a huuuuge difference between NYC and its suburbs for sure. Just crossing over the Nassau/Queens border you see a pretty big difference right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City