Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 04:23 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,853,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I live in Sugar Land, TX. I claim Houston as my location, everyone in the designated Houston MSA & CSA does. Including Galvestonians.

A bit ironic too, a lot of suburbanites in The Woodlands, Sugar Land, & Katy think they're too good for Houston and its always bashed for being a haywire crazy place yet they still go back to Houston and literally enjoy everything there is to it. As a suburbanite of Houston, I love Houston, think its infinitely better than Sugar Land and everything else in the metro. No complaints about Houston from me.
I've never heard someone from Galveston claim Houston. If I'm not mistaken I think Huntsville is in Houston CSA. I highly doubt anyone from there would claim Houston. I think the only people who are probably claiming Houston are the ones who live in Harris County outside the city limits but also not within an incorporated area. I think a lot of suburban snobs are embarrassed to say they are from Houston. I think they would rather say "I'm from The Woodlands, TX which is just north of Houston". But they don't actually say "I'm from Houston". I don't see how that first statement would be confusing to anyone outside of the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 07:03 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,369 times
As far as nyc

New york is new york. If your not from the five boroughs you cant claim to be from NYC. Anything outside the boroughs has a completely different vibe from the city including northen nj and southern ct

Old 03-19-2011, 07:11 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,739,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There's nothing wrong with this per se. I'm just curious about the areas whose suburban residents claim the city proper rather than the specific suburb they actually live in.

Could someone from Renton, Washington claim Seattle? Or would Seattle residents take umbrage with that?

Could someone from Jersey City claim the Big Apple? It is part of the New York Metropolitan Area and it's closer to Manhattan than Staten Island.

How about someone from Silver Spring, Maryland? Or Aurora, IL? Can they claim DC and Chicago, respectively?
Suburban Detroiters love to claim "Detroit" when they're trying to rectify their relevance to someone outside the region.

Any other time they want nothing to do with the city.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:07 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Sometimes I say "New York", I never say "New York City" since it sounds awkward and long.
Lol I thought I was the only one. I've never had to explain "Brooklyn" so they already know which city.

Usually it's just Brooklyn within the boroughs, or The City whenever I leave the boroughs. People put two and two together and realize where I'm from.

I honestly don't care/mind if suburban ppl claim their biggest city. It saves time and confusing from people who don't know that place. HOWEVER...

The only thing I do dislike (sometimes) is when people from Jersey or CT claim to be from The City and THEN when I ask (because I want to know which borough) they say "Oh well I'm from Jersey/CT but pretty much grew up here, come here every weekend etc." -_____- I don't like that because it's like you're trying to hard for whatever reason. It's a bit misleading in a way but forget about it, it's not a crime.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:16 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,248,986 times
Quote:
That makes sense. But what if you're still domestic? For example, I dated a girl a few years back who said she was from San Francisco (I had never been to the Bay Area at this point in time). When she moved back home, I went out to visit her, and discovered that she was really from Richmond, CA. I felt like I had been duped. I was looking forward to staying in a house like the one from Full House or Mrs. Doubtfire.
Well it depends on the metro. In your case, Bay Area is a better term since everybody knows what you mean.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:45 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Well it depends on the metro. In your case, Bay Area is a better term since everybody knows what you mean.
There's actually quite a sense of regionalism nowadays...especially among the youth, urban and hipster crowd:

Even in the mainstream the region's collective name is pretty clear:

Old 03-19-2011, 09:57 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,100 times
I just say Victorville, 1/2 way between the City of Sin and the City of Angels.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:10 PM

635 posts, read 1,540,572 times
No one knows where Victorville is haha. Unless you always drive between SoCal and vegas.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:15 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,943,066 times
I think if it is a suburb of the Major City there is nothing wrong with saying that you are from the Major City. But, if you aren't even in the immediate area, it would be a bit weird. I could say that city name I live in, but then I have to explain where it is in relation to the major city and explain that I don't even really live in a city because everything is based on the County. Confusing, yes, so I just answer the major city...the only people that ask for more details are those that actually live in the area and know the area I live in.

You can't say that you live in New York City when you live in Ithaca, NY for example.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:25 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with this per se. I'm just curious about the areas whose suburban residents claim the city proper rather than the specific suburb they actually live in.

Could someone from Renton, Washington claim Seattle? Or would Seattle residents take umbrage with that?

Could someone from Jersey City claim the Big Apple? It is part of the New York Metropolitan Area and it's closer to Manhattan than Staten Island.

How about someone from Silver Spring, Maryland? Or Aurora, IL? Can they claim DC and Chicago, respectively?
It's makes perfect sense for people who are from inner-ring "suburbs" to claim the core city. People from real suburbs may also claim the city proper if their town of residence isn't well known.

The New York area has always been an anomaly as its surrounding areas are very distinct and have their own identities that are virtually as old as the core city itself. Someone from from Jersey City isn't going to say they're from New York even though they're technically in its metro and it's located right across the river. Even someone from Yonkers will say exactly where they're from. In fact, the only people I've heard claim NY are those who actually live in one of the borroughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City