Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:17 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
And also there are the days in the summer when it is a comfortable 75-85 in Minnesota instead of 95-105 every day with high humidity like in the Southeast.
whew yes! agreed. Although Detroit (I don't know about Minnesota) get those "heat waves", our summers are much more comfortable. Part of the reason I left Florida. Being extra hot is more annoying to me. Atleast you can bundle up in the winter lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 10:26 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
75 in the summer is pretty rare here anymore, but that is a fantastic temperature! More like 85-90 in July/August. You're right though, every city has seasons that make people miserable. My parents are in San Francisco now and they complain about the rainy season. They also sometimes don't always love the summer since it can be downright chilly at times during the summer in San Fran but overall they love it there. There is no PERFECT place.....except maybe San Diego

Old 03-21-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
whew yes! agreed. Although Detroit (I don't know about Minnesota) get those "heat waves", our summers are much more comfortable. Part of the reason I left Florida. Being extra hot is more annoying to me. Atleast you can bundle up in the winter lol
It's actually warmer here than in Detroit, believe it or not. The average July high is 86 degrees.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:32 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
It's actually warmer here than in Detroit, believe it or not. The average July high is 86 degrees.
Wow! didn't know that. All in all though, from my experience so far, I'd say the midwest definitely has good "four-season" weather. I could deal with the winter. It really isn't as bad as people think. I also agree with you parents. Hurricane season is FL is worst than any snow days up here. I'd take the snow over non-stop heavy rain

Old 03-21-2011, 10:37 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
I went to Pittsburgh on business a couple of years ago, expecting an ugly steel town. I was very pleasantly surprised!

Old 03-21-2011, 11:16 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
I like Newark, NJ where as most people would cringe. The Ironbound section is really a special place to me, awesome cuisine/shopping/nightlife- It's a Little Portugal. And I thought where I was living (Close to Branch Brook Park, in Forest hill) was very charming- Beautiful old Victorian mansions, awesome Latin Cuisine, historic high rises. I will admit that Downtown Newark is mediocre, but it does indeed pack a strong punch in the insurance & real estate industry.

There's NJPAC, the Prudential Center, Rutgers, The University of Medicine and Dentistry, Newark Airport, Newark-Elizabeth-NYC Shipping ports, Newark Penn/PATH.. It has a lot for only being under 25 square miles.

Most People see it from the airport/turnpike, which is basically just the scene of the industrial scene of the largest metropolitan area in the nation. Of course it's not going to be pretty, they have no choice but to seclude it all along the highway/airport in a swamp, this whole area is highly developed. Newark really gets no positive hype at all- It has more going for it than most people expect.
It was also #1 in the country in violent crime reduction recently.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Wow! didn't know that. All in all though, from my experience so far, I'd say the midwest definitely has good "four-season" weather. I could deal with the winter. It really isn't as bad as people think. I also agree with you parents. Hurricane season is FL is worst than any snow days up here. I'd take the snow over non-stop heavy rain
Totally agree!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:51 AM

606 posts, read 1,078,442 times
I like Philadelphia, which seems to be getting a lot of flak on CD recently. The city has more to offer than people often think.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:56 AM

70 posts, read 113,278 times
Quote:
I often find myself being more interested in cities that get a negative view more. Ex: I'm more interested in seeing Baltimore than New York. No offense to NY of course.
Yeah I get what you mean. Living in Central Jersey I always enjoyed going to Philly over NYC. NYC is awesome, but Philly just had such a personality about it, I was always drawn back!

Old 03-22-2011, 10:00 AM

70 posts, read 113,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I like Newark, NJ where as most people would cringe. The Ironbound section is really a special place to me, awesome cuisine/shopping/nightlife- It's a Little Portugal. And I thought where I was living (Close to Branch Brook Park, in Forest hill) was very charming- Beautiful old Victorian mansions, awesome Latin Cuisine, historic high rises. I will admit that Downtown Newark is mediocre, but it does indeed pack a strong punch in the insurance & real estate industry.
Interesting, I've only really seen Newark from the Train Line/Penn Station. I was a little turned off by who/what I saw, but I guess I should give it a chance one of these days. However, it is a bit annoying having multiple people ask me for money by the time I transfer trains, and some of the buildings are in shambles. You won't find anything quiet like Newark when you move to MN Not as much diversity if you will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City