Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,921,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAjorge View Post
I think hollywood blvd is kinda nice

Hollywood blvd, and times square are like the same thing
except that times square has kind of a cool atmosphere, whereas hollywood blvd just screams "why do i exist?".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,166,303 times
Worst: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina area

Best: Fort Lauderdale-Miami, Florida

Old 03-21-2011, 07:22 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
[*]St. Louis Arch (I really like the way it looks but personally I would rather just drive by then to spend an hour looking at a giant arch)

You're right. The Arch is gorgeous but the subterranean museum of western expansion and grounds need more. And we're working on that.

We recently held an international design competition and winner was selected. The project is slated be completed by 2015.

The City + The Arch + The River | St. Louis Arch International Design Competition

Old 03-21-2011, 07:42 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I love Seattle's Pike Place Market. Many locals go there. I use to go there for the past 12 years to pick up fresh salmon, fresh flowers or just to hang out. My favorite place in Seattle.
I agree. I LOVE Pike Place, and the surrounding neighborhood warren of shops/bars/cafes - some with amazing views.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:36 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,824,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
What would be your top 5 tourist traps in the US and the 5 best tourist destinations? Here are mine (just my opinion so please no hate mail ):

WORST TOURIST TRAPS
  1. Hollywood Blvd. (People taking pictures of the sidewalk and buying cheezy mugs and t-shirts)
  2. Times Square (Same as above for the exception people are now taking pics of themselves surrounded by glorified advertisement)
  3. Pike Place Market (There are many fish markets throughout this country but this is the only one where you'll see fish flying)
  4. St. Louis Arch (I really like the way it looks but personally I would rather just drive by then to spend an hour looking at a giant arch)
  5. LA gang tours
    LA Gang Tours
TOURIST DESTINATIONS THAT DELIVER
  1. Las Vegas Blvd. (You came here to experience a gamblers paradise and live shows, LV won't disappoint you)
  2. Orlando ( You came to experience a land of theme parks you will not be disappointed)
  3. Manhattan (You have come to experience big city life and all the skyscrapers and tall buildings that you can ever imagine Manhattan will not disappoint just stay away from Times Square and experience the rest)
  4. DC (You have come to look at the seat of the federal govt. in the most powerful country in the world with plenty of monuments/museums and free activities throughout the city it's a great way to learn about the U.S. without getting charged an arm and a leg)
  5. Mall of America (You have come to experience the biggest mall in the country, that's exactly what you'll find plus how many malls do you know that have a roller coaster and a high school inside of it?)
Honorable mention to California wine country (getting tipsy while being driven around throughout a beautiful landscape who wouldn't like that?)
Wow The first place I went to when I moved to Seattle was Pike Place Market . Was great went to the Pike Place Brewery .I only remember three fish stands in the market out of hundreds of shops and resteraunts. The market isn't a fish market there is one in the Pike Place Market . The market itself is big 9 city blocks and several stories. I would say the Pike Place Market is not a tourist trap even though it gets 9 million viitors a year. It doesnt cost anything to go and it is a working market and the prices are great.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:54 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Im not sure why so many people keep mentioning times square. To a person visiing ts for the first time,times square will be an impressive sight. Theres simply nothing like it in the US. Its like a slice of tokyo in nyc

The only people that should be avoiding times square are NATIVE new yorkers. Its a good impressive sight for everybody else. The tourist i see there(from all over) look mesmerized in times square. Stop kidding yourselves

Also ts is a place where u look at lights and go to broadway shows not to wine and dine. Times square never promoted itself as a place to dine and enjoy unique culture.its a place just to look at lights

Old 03-21-2011, 09:14 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Im not sure why so many people keep mentioning times square. To a person visiing ts for the first time,times square will be an impressive sight. Theres simply nothing like it in the US. Its like a slice of tokyo in nyc

The only people that should be avoiding times square are NATIVE new yorkers. Its a good impressive sight for everybody else. The tourist i see there(from all over) look mesmerized in times square. Stop kidding yourselves
Sorry...It's just not that exciting. It's even less exciting if you've been to any other major world city or Las Vegas. There's about 99 other sights in New York that are much more worth a visit. I suppose back in the 1970s-Taxi Driver-era a trip to Times Square to watch a grindhouse Kung Fu flick would've be much more of an adventure, but in the post-Giuliani, post-Disney renovation, it's basically the same crappy chain stores and restaurants you have everywhere in the US dressed up with some flashy billboards and lights.

Last time I walked by there when I was in New York they put up some lawn chairs so the hordes of midwestern tourists could get photos of themselves sitting in a chair in New York. Wow...awesome

Old 03-21-2011, 09:16 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Sorry...It's just not that exciting. It's even less exciting if you've been to any other major world city or Las Vegas. There's about 99 other sights in New York that are much more worth a visit. I suppose back in the 1970s-Taxi Driver-era a trip to Times Square to watch a grindhouse Kung Fu flick would've be much more of an adventure, but in the post-Giuliani, post-Disney renovation, it's basically the same crappy chain stores and restaurants you have everywhere in the US dressed up with some flashy billboards and lights.

Last time I walked by there when I was in New York they put up some lawn chairs so the hordes of midwestern tourists could get photos of themselves sitting in a chair in New York. Wow...awesome
Just curious, did they tell you they were Midwestern.....

Old 03-21-2011, 09:25 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Just curious, did they tell you they were Midwestern.....

Yes, they did. They were all from Indiana in town to stand outside a taping of the David Letterman Show.

No, actually I was just using a well-known New York cliché or stereotype as a literary device. For all I know they could have been tourists from Toronto or Phoenix or Portland, Oregon.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:28 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Sometimes I like to go to tourist traps...they can be fun, especially if Ive never been there.

Also, its easy to get cynical about tourists traps in your own town(I know I do about Fisherman's Wharf and Coit Tower and the like) but whenever visitors come over, at least there is no shortage of places to take them. LOL.
I agree. I don't find tourist traps all that bad. I wouldn't mind walking in Times Square, or walking down Hollywood BLVD along those gift shops with the cheesy shirts and novelty shops or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City