Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the leader?
Birmingham 34 48.57%
Knoxville 36 51.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:36 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
This wasn't true 3 years ago, nor is it true today. "Outsiders" (and insiders) can go downtown to enjoy a Barons game, RR park, McWane, music halls and festivals at venues like Iron City or Sloss, many hotels, and on and on. This imaginary line that people think divides all wealth and prosperity and safety between the city property and OTM is a sure sign of someone repeating what they have heard who has no real experience with this city.
Birmingham, Ala. - In Photos: The 10 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities - Forbes

Birmingham ranked 8 on top 10 most dangerous cities list - WSFA.com Montgomery Alabama news.

//www.city-data.com/poverty/pov...m-Alabama.html

https://news.wbhm.org/feature/2016/b...y-communities/

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...uality-of.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 05:48 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
Quote:
I find Knoxville to be kind of eerie. Not sure if I could explain why
I like this comment and it points out that Knoxville is not a bland boomtown. Maybe because most of the downtown construction is from the turn of the previous century. For an understanding of Knoxville's underbelly you can read Cormac McCarthy's "Suttree".

I get a little boggled reading the "no development in downtown Knoxville" comments. The last decade or two has added hundreds of downtown dwellings if not a thousand. But they are in older buildings not new construction so may not ping the radar of someone looking for shiny towers. There is a large new apartment block under construction but it is designed to resemble older architecture so might not be noticeable either.

BTW, for eerie tourism, I recommend Armstrong's Alley between market square and Gay st. High end graffiti in an alley setting. What's not to love?

Old 05-25-2016, 08:24 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
The difference here is, UT is IN Knoxville. As someone who loves sports, that can't be stated enough, as while Tuscaloosa is close, it's still a ways a way. And in terms of what UT brings into the picture, not just with sports but in general, UAB I'm sure is nice, but just can't match it. Knoxville may not be as big, but it's downtown, with the kinda compactness to it and Riverwalk and all just has a nice feel. Now, Birmingham as an entire metro offers more, there's no question. But, the bigger separating fact here, is that for anyone who loves nature, while Birmingham does have nice hills near town, it simply doesn't compare to being able to go to the Great Smoky Mountains every weekend, and Knoxville also has more bodies of water nearby (and running thru it) as well. Not to mention, it has a mix of quaint historical towns AND modern Disneyfied attraction type places within an easy day drive. At the end of the day, people living in Knoxville are living in a vacation destination, that, once you get out on trails, isn't surrounded by tourists, while Birmingham simply isn't. Also, I think weather can be a prohibitive factor in Birmingham from like June-September. Knoxville summers aren't a joke either, but, if you're going to the Smokies anyways, it will be significantly cooler there, and it's cooler in Knoxville than Bham to begin with.

Overall, it just has an outdoorsy/fun vibe, even if not as big of a city as BHam, though it still has many offerings. In Knoxville, though they aren't huge, they have an art museum, natural history museum, zoo, orchestra (playing in a beaux arts theater), virtually all the things Bham has apart from upscale shopping. But, the difference is, Knoxville has different thing also, including an 18th century house of one of the signers of the US Constitution.

This isn't a knock on BHam, and if Knoxville weren't by the Smokies Birmingham would probably win for me as I love the industrial look, but there's just too much going well for Knoxville here.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:44 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I get a little boggled reading the "no development in downtown Knoxville" comments. The last decade or two has added hundreds of downtown dwellings if not a thousand. But they are in older buildings not new construction so may not ping the radar of someone looking for shiny towers. There is a large new apartment block under construction but it is designed to resemble older architecture so might not be noticeable either.
I follow development pretty closely, and when living in Knoxville, I got to see it up close. Yes, Knoxville has added a decent bit of residential stock downtown, and there's something to be said for redevelopment vs. new development (I love that they are saving old buildings)....however, as I commented a few years ago, DT Knoxville has had a hard time landing the BIG developments downtown. Lots of cities are redeveloping buildings, adding lofts, and whatnot...but Knoxville definitely lags behind the trend of urban development right now. Forget about Nashville, but Chattanooga is absolutely kicking Knoxville's tail in this regard. And for the purposes of this thread -- so is Birmingham.

That's not to say DT Knox doesn't have a lot of great things going for it, but it has been curiously slow to develop compared to regional peer cities.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:38 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times
one thing i don't like about either city is the interstates run through or adjacent to the downtown.

to me, knoxville is pretty ugly in the winter, when the trees up on those hills around town loses their leaves.

i think downtown knoxville is probaby safer than downtown b'ham

Old 05-25-2016, 07:35 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
Nashvols, were you living in Knoxville in the 90s when a series of far fetched developments were trotted out, up to and including a planetarium? I happened to be sitting in a city council meeting when the planetarium promoter revealed that the whole point of the planetarium was to sell bonds and if the city wouldn't back them it was a no-go.

So yes, Knoxville/Knox county is fiscally conservative. Even the socially liberal mayor is fiscally conservative. I think we all know which of the two cities has a higher bond rating. Though apparently that hasn't stopped private development in B'ham.

Quote:
Chattanooga is absolutely kicking Knoxville's tail in this regard.
Besides being off topic, is this supposed to be a dig? I personally hate the bland brown developments on Chattanooga's north shore. Consider having one grandpa with a shiny new Cadillac that impresses the country club crowd and another with an old SUV that takes you 4-wheeling in the wilderness. Seems like you put a lot of emphasis on bragging rights. Plus Knoxville has its own dedicated wilderness right in town.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:27 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Nashvols, were you living in Knoxville in the 90s when a series of far fetched developments were trotted out, up to and including a planetarium? I happened to be sitting in a city council meeting when the planetarium promoter revealed that the whole point of the planetarium was to sell bonds and if the city wouldn't back them it was a no-go.
2004-2009.

Knoxville has just been slower seeing the urban boom than other peer cities.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:02 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
<Nothing.>

Someone who is a known hater who posts links with nothing to add is exactly proving my point. I don't live in a Forbes slide show click bait article. IRL this city is nothing like the party line narrative those articles portray. The can twist and weight that data to come up with the results they want. Here's a top ten list of most dangerous cities using FBI data. Oh, crap Birmingham ain't on it...what now?

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201...e_list_of.html

Old 05-30-2016, 03:00 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Someone who is a known hater who posts links with nothing to add is exactly proving my point. I don't live in a Forbes slide show click bait article. IRL this city is nothing like the party line narrative those articles portray. The can twist and weight that data to come up with the results they want. Here's a top ten list of most dangerous cities using FBI data. Oh, crap Birmingham ain't on it...what now?

4 Alabama cities among 30 most dangerous in America | AL.com
The video is real, and the data is accurate.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

The dead, dying and struggling malls of Birmingham | AL.com

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...es-in-key.html

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 06:47 AM..

Old 05-31-2016, 12:05 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times
You don't read your links.

I already addressed the "dangerous city" slideshow trick. Birmingham isn't in the top 10 when you don't exclude data or exclude cities.

Who gives a flip about shut down malls and shopping centers? Every city has them.

Knoxville isn't among the peer cities mentioned in your last link.

Try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City