Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the leader?
Birmingham 34 48.57%
Knoxville 36 51.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 08:46 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Birmingham's city proper, and metro area has recorded gains, instead of losses regarding the population. Seems like they're doing pretty fine...
I would say they are doing better than they have in a while in Birmingham. Particularly around UAB and Children's Hospital area. I've been traveling there(I have family livingin Irondale) for close to 10 years and the positive changes are pretty visible right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 08:48 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4242 View Post
Birmingham is in a beautiful natural setting, but didn't the city file for Bankruptcy in the early 2000s or late 90s? The city's history has been chaotic for a long time. For me personally it would be depressing to live in a city where you can't depend on basic city services to be provided.
Jefferson Co, filed for bankruptcy, I believe. And it was maybe a few years ago that that happened not 10+ years ago.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:51 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4242 View Post
Birmingham is in a beautiful natural setting, but didn't the city file for Bankruptcy in the early 2000s or late 90s? The city's history has been chaotic for a long time. For me personally it would be depressing to live in a city where you can't depend on basic city services to be provided.
No. The city has never filed for bankruptcy. Jefferson Co. did and they are out of it and just had their rating raised. Try again.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
He commented on Knoxville having a comparable urban environment in terms of restaurants, bars, parks, nightlife, and street activity. Others have made this comparison that do not have ties to either city.
No, that's not what he said. Why don't you just stick to posting links.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:01 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
stating that Knoxville has plenty of urban activities and options downtown is an objective statement. i don't think B'ham 'wins' for urban activities as somebody said. you can do the same kind of stuff in both cities.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:23 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
No, that's not what he said.
Reread what he said. They were objective statements, Knoxville is comparable to Birmingham. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Quote:
Why don't you just stick to posting links.
You don't get to tell me or anyone else on this forum what to do.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I wasn't, link posting without constructive or relevant input seems to be your strong point. How about this, why don't you just stay out of it and let him answer for himself?

His imaginary negative "rep" that he thinks Birmingham has doesn't keep it from hosting successful street festivals. And people don't get murdered in the process. Knoxville doesn't have the monopoly on happy people feeling safe spending money and carousing the streets of Birmingham eating, drinking and listening to music alone, in groups, or with their families like his post portrayed.

Why don't you get that?

Old 06-11-2016, 09:48 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I wasn't, link posting without constructive or relevant input seems to be your strong point. How about this, why don't you just stay out of it and let him answer for himself?

Quote:
His imaginary negative "rep" that he thinks Birmingham has doesn't keep it from hosting successful street festivals. And people don't get murdered in the process. Knoxville doesn't have the monopoly on happy people feeling safe spending money and carousing the streets of Birmingham eating, drinking and listening to music alone, in groups, or with their families like his post portrayed.

Why don't you get that?
Let me say it one more time. Knoxville and Birmingham are peer cities. Knoxville and Birmingham are comparable. There is NOTHING negative or derogatory about this. Comparing both cities is the ENTIRE premise of this thread. When you state something as fact about a city, and then others have shown contradictory information to your statements, it does not mean they hold anything personal against you. It means you have failed to consider others' perspectives. You don't have to like Knoxville at all, but that doesn't mean you get to dismiss others' posts as "nonsense."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City