Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:21 PM

42 posts, read 64,856 times

Advertisements

Me: Mid 20's, college grad, looking to start out in a fun city.

Boulder pro's:

- Highly educated populous
- Interesting fairs/activities, community togetherness and involvement
- Beautiful scenery
- Intelligent cannabis laws (sad this has to be listed, but jail for a joint is a real concern in many states)
- Great food
- Lot's of young people
- Crazy people are fun to watch
- It's a safe city.

Boulder cons:

- Can be pretentious/psuedo-hipster fakeness
- Expensive cost of living
- Not-so-great, but not terrible, economy for young people
- Winter. Brrrr. (although not bitter cold akin to the East Coast)
- Mountains are beautiful, but after that...meh. I don't like hiking alone due to mountain lion horror stories, and skiing isn't my thing.

Tampa Pros:

- Cheaper cost of living
- Beautiful beaches
- Some of the best fishing in the world, even from shore/pier.
- Amazing local sushi
- Not-so-pretentious
- My preferred climate, almost year-round.

Tampa Cons:

- Socially conservative (not highly educated)
- Pretty terrible job market for young people without a solidified resume
- Bugs, bugs, bugs. It's Florida after all.
- No palpable sense of community.
- Not multicultural; no real interest in multiculturalism in most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 10:46 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew sullivan View Post
Tampa Cons:

Do you have a shred of evidence for any of this?? "No interest in multiculturalism," and "no palpable sense of community," wow where do you get off?? I'll give you the point about bugs, perhaps even that the job market is in the dumps, but the rest is absolutely ridiculous.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Do you have a shred of evidence for any of this??
Yes. Let me dig up the poll results from the latest "do you care about your neighbors in Tampa" survey.

Of course these are just my opinions based on research and time spent in both locales. If you disagree, that is OK.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:06 PM

Location: I live in the Seattle neighborhood of Belltown. I live in a nice building called Mosler Lofts.
174 posts, read 590,564 times
Wow! Now this is a good competition! Both of these cities are great places. Do you prefer mountains or water? Does it matter if you have pro baseball, pro football, and pro hockey in your city? In Boulder I guess you could drive to Denver for that. Do you like snow? Do you like boating? Do you prefer far left liberal hippies or more conservative people? Do you want more of a small town feel? Do you like being near a big college and in a college town? Do you like to follow big time college sports like Pac-10 sports? Both of these places are great but are totally different.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBoy98121 View Post
Wow! Now this is a good competition! Both of these cities are great places. Do you prefer mountains or water?
Water, because I fish but don't ski. Mountains are amazing but I just look at em'.
Quote:
Does it matter if you have pro baseball, pro football, and pro hockey in your city? In Boulder I guess you could drive to Denver for that.
No.
Quote:
Do you like snow?
Don't mind it. I hate bitter-cold, though. Prefer the FL climate overall. But the air in Boulder is noticeably better.
Quote:
Do you like boating?
Yes, but I can't afford it so it's irrelevant, lulz.
Quote:
Do you prefer far left liberal hippies or more conservative people?
Liberal.
Quote:
Do you want more of a small town feel? Do you like being near a big college and in a college town?
Don't care. I'm mostly a to myself kind of guy. I like being in college towns, though. It's a more fun atmosphere. People seem happier and more at peace with living in the now.
Quote:
Do you like to follow big time college sports like Pac-10 sports? Both of these places are great but are totally different.
Don't care about sports.

Cool post/breakdown. It's appreciated. This is a tough call.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Yes. Let me dig up the poll results from the latest "do you care about your neighbors in Tampa" survey.

Of course these are just my opinions based on research and time spent in both locales. If you disagree, that is OK.
So you'd take a survey from the Tampa forum of City-Data to mean that people in Tampa don't care about their neighbors, aren't interested in multiculturalism (whatever that means), and that they are socially conservative therefore undereducated?? Welcome to City-Data Andrew, you'll fit right in here with those sweeping generalizations & incredibly ignorant opinions.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
So you'd take a survey from the Tampa forum of City-Data to mean that people in Tampa don't care about their neighbors, aren't interested in multiculturalism (whatever that means), and that they are socially conservative therefore undereducated?? Welcome to City-Data Andrew, you'll fit right in here with those sweeping generalizations & incredibly ignorant opinions.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:43 PM

^ Relax, I sound angry and really I am not. I just wanted to know what you meant by all of those things in your OP. Feel free to answer or not but I have to move on from a thread like this where the person asking the question is already interjecting negative comments.

Quote:
Tampa Cons:

Old 12-10-2010, 07:44 AM

908 posts, read 1,830,866 times
Tampa has one of lowest educated populations in the country.

America's brainiest places to live - Oct. 1, 2010

Old 12-10-2010, 09:34 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,528,188 times
I've lived in Tampa and around it and the OP really isn't too far off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City