Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago Vs. Toronto
Chicago 399 61.48%
Toronto 250 38.52%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 09:24 AM

484 posts, read 1,286,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Forgot about 'regular' Greyhound. I was focusing on the cheaper Megabus/Greyhound Neon
But yeah if the demand is not there, then of course there was be little to no service between the two cities. I guess the train is also an option.
I don't think there's currently a train between Toronto and Chicago, I may be wrong but think the furthest Amtrak goes is Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 09:37 AM

349 posts, read 573,391 times
They nixed the train between Chicago and Toronto early 2000's. The most overlooked means of travel between the two is Porter Airlines.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:11 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,713,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
I don't think there's currently a train between Toronto and Chicago, I may be wrong but think the furthest Amtrak goes is Detroit.
Hmm. You would think there would be one, but I had no idea there wasn't one available. Maybe because every time I cross the border I am always crossing via Niagara Falls via car, or bus, or train.... and neglect the Detroit/Windsor border.
The few times that I have crossed at Windsor always has been by car.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:00 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Quote:
Fair enough.

I agree it helps with memory taking pics. On trips that I did not take pics others did and we all shared them. The Miami trip for example 4 others were the pic takers with dslr cams throughout the trip while 2 of us including me did not for the most part (I mostly did the driving, mapping and other things when my hands were full). So 4 out of 6 people taking pics does not really show 6 tourists traveling in reference to that maps criteria for example.
It's not that my memory is awful, it's not. I can usually remember most things said and I rarely have problems remember peoples' names.

It's more city related things I forget. For example, I could have had an amazing time at the Flat Iron District in New York but it would be a blur to me, as would it's navigation (street names and areas), unless I saw a picture I took, which would help me remember of the exact thoughts, place, activities, and ideas I had while I was taking that picture.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:23 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I actually really like that Chicago to Toronto corridor. Always have a lot to see in that trip.
Seriously? I think that's among the most boring drives I've taken in North America.

Chicago to Detroit is pretty boring, flat, non-scenic, but Detroit to Toronto is like the most boring drive imaginable, especially between Windsor and London. There's nothing between those two cities; just flat farmland.

Really the only interesting feature during that whole trip is the Niagara Escarpment, which is cool.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:35 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Seriously? I think that's among the most boring drives I've taken in North America.

Chicago to Detroit is pretty boring, flat, non-scenic, but Detroit to Toronto is like the most boring drive imaginable, especially between Windsor and London. There's nothing between those two cities; just flat farmland.

Really the only interesting feature during that whole trip is the Niagara Escarpment, which is cool.
Yes, Niagara Escarpment HWY 401 near Milton. Most scenic for sure.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:44 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsta View Post
I meant like the conditions of the bridges and roads, which were falling apart when I visited. Parks and civic offices also had some problems with weeds growing through the cracks. I never noticed this before, I"ve been going every year since 2002 or so. Maybe its Rob Ford?
Oh weird - some are like any big city I guess - but they have been doing a lot of work on the Gardner and bridges over it at Dufferin and Jamieson so things are getting better (Especially with the Pan Am Games coming in 2015). It'll be interesting to see the general road conditions in the spring and summer after this frigid winter we're having (freeze quakes for example)

Last edited by fusion2; 01-04-2014 at 03:35 PM..

Old 01-04-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
You are correct. For MSA figures, Buffalo > Grand Rapids.
For CSA figures, Grand Rapids > Buffalo.

Grand Rapids CSA: 1,321,557
Grand Rapids metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Buffalo-Niagara CSA: 1,215,826
Buffalo

I guess it just depends on what you are looking at. Though CSA is a much larger, generous area.
The bottom line is they are both similarly sized and GR is one of the smaller (larger) cities that is close to Chicago - unlike Toronto which really isn't as close to cities of decent size like Chicago.

Last edited by fusion2; 01-04-2014 at 03:14 PM..

Old 01-04-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
Greyhound travels direct from Toronto to Chicago, about 2-3/day, but your right it doesn't compare Toronto- New York with about 8 express buses a day (the NEON service) plus 1 or 2 non express.

Honestly, the demand is not high between Toronto and Chicago (compared to New York). I took the Chicago bus once, I was going to Nashville via Detroit and the bus was practically empty by the time we got to London, Ontario. I think only 3 to 4 people continued on to Chicago.
Oddly enough there is quite strong demand when it comes to aviation between Toronto-Chicago.. Maybe not as strong as Toronto-EWR/LGA/JFK but still isn't light at all. United, American and Air Canada have quite a few daily flights out of YYZ along with Porter out of the Billy Bishop airport in DT Toronto. Toronto is actually ORD's largest International route after London UK.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillstuckinthesouth View Post

Anyway, for this poll, I voted Toronto, which doesn't get enough respect in these C-D polls. Both are great cities, but I actually find Toronto to be more cosmopolitan and interesting.
Both cities are fantastic in similar and also unique ways. There are quite a few Americans in here that I think are big fans of Toronto - and others not as enthralled with it (for their own valid reasons which I respect). The one's that annoy me are those who are just ignorant of the place and level judgments without enough information or no information other than some highly generalized stereotypes that aren't true.. Even when you do your best to try to provide information for them and to set the record straight, they accuse you of being a homer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City