Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago Vs. Toronto
Chicago 399 61.48%
Toronto 250 38.52%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 12:52 PM

574 posts, read 689,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Ok it's not exactly a Caribbean beach, but where else can you find a beach like that and be a 2 minute walk from (and have views of) world-class urbanity comparable to Chicago's Gold Coast and Magnificent Mile? Can you think of one other city that offers that combination? Certainly not in North America (and worldwide I can only think of 2-3 cities -- maybe)
Well said. Not many US cities come close to summertime in Chicago and the lakefront is a major contributor to that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 12:54 PM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
There's only one tiny beach like that in Chicago, and it isn't very nice. The nice beaches in the Chicago area are nowhere near the Mag Mile (I assume you're talking about Oak Street beach, which is the only beach near the Mag Mile).

There are plenty of beaches in urban areas next to "world class urbanity". There are beaches in Paris. They suck, but there are beaches.

South Beach has like 1000x better beach/urbanity combo than anywhere in Chicago. Santa Monica (LA) has a better beach/urbanity combo than anywhere in Chicago. Pretty much every Mexican beach city on the Pacific side (but not Cancun and the Riveria Maya) has a better beach/urbanity combo. Even Brooklyn has better beaches and urbanity.
Brooklyn has fun beaches, but not nearly as great and there's fairly little area that really interacts with the water as a beach.

I do think Chicago is something like a stone's throw away from really making an amazing beach/urbanity combo. If they, you know, narrowed LSD and shifted it into a boulevard instead of an expressway. Ad nauseum.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:59 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Brooklyn has fun beaches, but not nearly as great and there's fairly little area that really interacts with the water as a beach.
I don't think Brooklyn has good beaches, but they're a lot better than in Chicago, IMO. And you have interesting urbanity like Coney Island or Brighton Beach; Chicago doesn't have lively urban scenes right next to the beach; it has very quiet residential blocks in rows of 1960's highrise towers (though it creates a very impressive skyline scene).

I used to live near North Street Beach in Chicago and that is clearly a bad beach (though a little better than Oak Street beach; better crowd and people watching). Everyone with money in Chicago just goes to Michigan or Indiana beaches, which are very close, clean and quite nice.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:08 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
There's only one tiny beach like that in Chicago, and it isn't very nice. The nice beaches in the Chicago area are nowhere near the Mag Mile (I assume you're talking about Oak Street beach, which is the only beach near the Mag Mile).
Ohio Street Beach is also near the Mag Mile, but Oak Street Beach is closer by a block or two for sure. OSB is still within a 5-7 minute walk.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:12 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
I used to live near North Street Beach in Chicago and that is clearly a bad beach (though a little better than Oak Street beach; better crowd and people watching). Everyone with money in Chicago just goes to Michigan or Indiana beaches, which are very close, clean and quite nice.
Maybe when you lived there that was true (and it's North Avenue Beach, not North Street Beach), and maybe it is still partially true, but nowadays most people in Chicago with money and a boat don't go very far. A lot of them are cruising in the lake within a few miles of the Chicago shore and/or they are tied up in the "playpen" which is a party atmosphere that you'd more find somewhere else -->

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/uDOFve0RuMI/maxresdefault.jpg
http://www.chicagosceneboatparty.com.../2015/07/7.jpg

The other day I was sitting at the new riverwalk extension and a new 72 foot yacht docked right infront of City Winery too. Also, Oak Street Beach is not that bad at all - I'm not sure why you think it's not very good.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:02 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
I mean, who has given Toronto a second thought outside of city-data and Canada itself? We all live in separate bubbles.

What a harsh, harsh burn.
Huh? I have no clue what the heck you're talking about. If you don't want to engage in a discussion with someone and get unnecessarily defensive than simply don't engage in a discussion with someone. If you don't think anyone comes to Toronto from outside of it (or personally just don't like it) than go ahead and think that way - means zero to me. Not everyone is going to love any one city - no biggie... Now excuse me while my friend from Boston and I get ready to take part in the pan am closing ceremonies dt surrounded by people from all over the western hemisphere including americans lol - nice americans not the c v c online hater type..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Ok it's not exactly a Caribbean beach, but where else can you find a beach like that and be a 2 minute walk from (and have views of) world-class urbanity comparable to Chicago's Gold Coast and Magnificent Mile? Can you think of one other city that offers that combination? Certainly not in North America (and worldwide I can only think of 2-3 cities -- maybe)
I don't know why you guys are getting your panties in a knot because I could give a rats behind about Chicago's manicured beaches or waterfront.. You could put those and its waterfront in Toronto and for me it wouldn't give me cause to celebrate. As I said before, I can think of many other parts of Chicago more interesting than its beaches and nicely manicured civic spaces. If anything it might take away from some of the more interesting things that occur in T.Dot in and around those areas including rave parties and other things not appropriate to discuss but that make it fun and interesting. Hey, if that's what gets you all riled up and excited that's fine - cheaper for me to fly return to Varadero and stay at an all inclusive beach resort than to go to Chicago for a beach vacation - thanks if I go to Chicago it'll be for other things - a beach vacation simply no... I mean is this Copacabana/Ipanema in Rio or something - holy crow.. See what I mean about how riled up you guys get when people aren't gushing over a beach or waterfront in Chicago - man lol its kinda funny to watch how that spirals!

Last edited by fusion2; 07-26-2015 at 02:29 PM..

Old 07-26-2015, 02:15 PM

Is there a nude gay beach in Chicago by any chance? I'm being serious

Old 07-26-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I don't think Brooklyn has good beaches, but they're a lot better than in Chicago, IMO. And you have interesting urbanity like Coney Island or Brighton Beach; Chicago doesn't have lively urban scenes right next to the beach; it has very quiet residential blocks in rows of 1960's highrise towers (though it creates a very impressive skyline scene).

I don't think you have ever lived anywhere ever. I am pretty sure you are a Ukrainian bot trying to get us to make 875 dollars each day for just four hours of work a day! I don't know if you even own a smartphone or have been programmed to feel any emotions. Not just love, but even simpler ones like mild intestinal discomfort from too much sour cream in that burrito, maybe the sour cream had been sitting out a bit, too, I don't know, it did taste a little off.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Huh? I have no clue what the heck you're talking about. If you don't want to engage in a discussion with someone and get unnecessarily defensive than simply don't engage in a discussion with someone. If you don't think anyone comes to Toronto from outside of it (or personally just don't like it) than go ahead and think that way - means zero to me. Not everyone is going to love any one city - no biggie... Now excuse me while my friend from Boston and I get ready to take part in the pan am closing ceremonies dt surrounded by people from all over the western hemisphere including americans lol - nice americans not the c v c online hater type..

I don't know why you guys are getting your panties in a knot because I could give a rats behind about Chicago's manicured beaches or waterfront.. You could put those and its waterfront in Toronto and for me it wouldn't give me cause to celebrate. As I said before, I can think of many other parts of Chicago more interesting than its beaches and nicely manicured civic spaces. If anything it might take away from some of the more interesting things that occur in T.Dot in and around those areas including rave parties and other things not appropriate to discuss but that make it fun and interesting. Hey, if that's what gets you all riled up and excited that's fine - cheaper for me to fly return to Varadero and stay at an all inclusive beach resort than to go to Chicago for a beach vacation - thanks if I go to Chicago it'll be for other things - a beach vacation simply no... I mean is this Copacabana/Ipanema in Rio or something - holy crow.. See what I mean about how riled up you guys get when people aren't gushing over a beach or waterfront in Chicago - man lol its kinda funny to watch how that spirals!
Wait, did someone just say wee-a-boo?

Old 07-26-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Wait, did someone just say wee-a-boo?
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz really Oy.. I know you are a grown up man but seriously is this how you get in real life.. I hope this is just internet persona Oy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City