Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago Vs. Toronto
Chicago 399 61.48%
Toronto 250 38.52%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 06:20 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
There's only one tiny beach like that in Chicago, and it isn't very nice. The nice beaches in the Chicago area are nowhere near the Mag Mile (I assume you're talking about Oak Street beach, which is the only beach near the Mag Mile).

There are plenty of beaches in urban areas next to "world class urbanity". There are beaches in Paris. They suck, but there are beaches.
Paris doesn't have what I would consider real beaches and no one swims in the Seine.

Chicago has real beaches next to a swimmable, sea-like large body of water. Two different things.

Quote:
South Beach has like 1000x better beach/urbanity combo than anywhere in Chicago. Santa Monica (LA) has a better beach/urbanity combo than anywhere in Chicago.

South Beach is a beach community. It's fun and I love it but it's not world class urbanity. Downtown Chicago is a world class architectural/cultural/business/entertainment destination surpassed in the US arguably only by Manhattan. Again two different things.

Santa Monica? Lol

Quote:
Even Brooklyn has better beaches and urbanity.
Yeah sure, whatever you say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 06:12 PM

424 posts, read 465,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Cool thanks man - I will look that up.. We have a full nude gay beach on the Toronto islands so was curious if there was something equivalent in Chicago.
I was at Hollywood Beach last Thursday and I saw a few older gay couples wearing some sort of swim suit that was basically just a thin string on their back side...left nothing to the imagination. And not the most flattering physique to look at either.

Not sure if that qualifies it as a nude beach. lol

Old 08-12-2015, 06:42 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
I was at Hollywood Beach last Thursday and I saw a few older gay couples wearing some sort of swim suit that was basically just a thin string on their back side...left nothing to the imagination. And not the most flattering physique to look at either.

Not sure if that qualifies it as a nude beach. lol
Well even at a full nude beach where zero can be left to the imagination as everything is all hanging out doesn't mean most of the people there should be nude.. I digress to freedom to wear clothes or not but man - sometimes you really don't want to see what you see.. Comes with the territory of being rewarded here and there with some nice eye candy

Old 08-12-2015, 06:56 PM

125 posts, read 141,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
i was unimpressed with nightlife in chicago. what did i miss?

skyline defo goes to chicago. weather seems about to same - which is to say it's crap for both cities. gonna have to go with toronto on this one, i think it wins out due to quality of life.
Chicago has great nightlife in a number of different neighborhoods. One of the best bar scenes in the country.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:06 AM

591 posts, read 781,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well even at a full nude beach where zero can be left to the imagination as everything is all hanging out doesn't mean most of the people there should be nude.. I digress to freedom to wear clothes or not but man - sometimes you really don't want to see what you see.. Comes with the territory of being rewarded here and there with some nice eye candy
why would you need a "gay nude beach" when you have the "worlds best gay neighborhood" just inland?
Boystown In Chicago Named World's Most 'Incomparable' Gay Neighborhood

Old 08-13-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
why would you need a "gay nude beach" when you have the "worlds best gay neighborhood" just inland?
Boystown In Chicago Named World's Most 'Incomparable' Gay Neighborhood
Oh yippie an American magazine with presumably mostly American readers/travellers names an America city the best gaybourhood in the world - shocking lol.. I mean I like Boystown (I really do) but to compare it to Cheuca, L'example or tons of other gaybourhoods in the world including T.O's and state it is number 1 is just well umm yeah lol... Have these people been to Montreal or S.F or Mexico City? I like how they say in the article soon to be marriage equality yet Toronto and many of the worlds other great gay cities have had this for over a decade... Btw Toronto was the first city in the western hemisphere to host World Pride..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WorldPride

I find it kind of amusing that your rational for Chicago not having a gay fully nude beach like Toronto is because Toronto's gaybourhoods are somehow lacking vs Chicago's just weird. I think it could be that Toronto is just a bit more liberal than Chicago and has nothing to do with lacking gay anything.

Other 'objective' findings of Out traveller magazine not at all biased toward the U.S - yes sarcasm lol..

American Airlines was named best Airline in 2005, 2007, and 2008[SIZE=2][17][/SIZE]
San Francisco LGBT Pride Celebration & Parade was named Favorite Gay Event in 2006[SIZE=2][18][/SIZE]
Key West was named Favorite Gay Resort Town in 2006[SIZE=2][19][/SIZE]
Fort Lauderdale was named the Reader’s Choice for Top Gay Destination in 2007

I mean American Airlines best airline in 2005, 2007 and 2008 - people haven't flown on other than U.S airlines to come to this conclusion lol..

Last edited by fusion2; 08-13-2015 at 04:51 PM..

Old 08-13-2015, 04:14 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
NOLA is a well-known Chicago hater, nearly in the form of dementor, but less obnoxious and less funny. Please don't bother feeding the troll.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:20 PM

135 posts, read 175,167 times
Just like in hockey, Chicago in all facets. Ill even take the crime in the Southside too.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:47 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
NOLA is a well-known Chicago hater, nearly in the form of dementor, but less obnoxious and less funny. Please don't bother feeding the troll.
And that would be why I picked Chicago in this thread. That would also be why Toronto homers claimed I was pro-Chicago and anti-Toronto in this thread. Any other fascinating wisdom for today?

BigLake, you've already been banned from C-D under your previous names. You're going to have to continue to make new usernames with such trolling ridiculousness.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
And that would be why I picked Chicago in this thread. That would also be why Toronto homers claimed I was pro-Chicago and anti-Toronto in this thread. Any other fascinating wisdom for today?

BigLake, you've already been banned from C-D under your previous names. You're going to have to continue to make new usernames with such trolling ridiculousness.
Yes Nola everyone who has something good or balanced to say about their city is a homer
Everyone knows Toronto is on the very bottom of your list every single time.. I'll hand it to you though, Big Lake was wrong - Toronto is the number 1 city on your hit list not Chicago.. I'm not sure where Chicago is on that list but I have no doubt that hit list exists lol.. Unless its one of your personal favourite cities every other city is just a target for attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City