Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago Vs. Toronto
Chicago 399 61.48%
Toronto 250 38.52%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 08:00 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
But he's not from Chicago.
I guess those 20+ years of living here, working here, being an attorney here, being an Illinois state senator, being a U.S. senator from Illinois, and having his private residence in Chicago are all for nothing...Sigh. We had better let Obama know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 08:01 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Ok so Chicago has more famous crooks - I mean Politicians (and corrupt lol - just kidding ) than Toronto..

Welllll on second thought....

ROOBB FORD lol....

Old 08-14-2013, 08:03 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times
Quote:
Yes, I'll look at Toronto's skyline and know our skyscrapers were invented....here mostly. Really, are you going to take credit for every skyscraper on Earth because Chicago built the first one? That's stretching it a bit.
I kind of agree. It's not like every skyscraper in the world was invented in Chicago. Until Chicago builds every skyscraper and ships it to every city, I call BS. I'm sure the skyscraper would have been invented anyways. Chicago might have invented it, but I find it ridiculous to take credit for every tall structure.

So am I going to look at a Skyscraper and say "Wow, thank you Chicago!!!"?? Heck no.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:05 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Hey PROCLOMATION:

This has not been taken into account and will surely tip all scales in favour of Toronto in every City Vs City vs..

About | SlutWalk Toronto

Invented in the T.DOT baby

***thanks Atticman***

Last edited by fusion2; 08-14-2013 at 09:05 PM..

41 posts, read 56,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I kind of agree. It's not like every skyscraper in the world was invented in Chicago. Until Chicago builds every skyscraper and ships it to every city, I call BS. I'm sure the skyscraper would have been invented anyways. Chicago might have invented it, but I find it ridiculous to take credit for every tall structure.

So am I going to look at a Skyscraper and say "Wow, thank you Chicago!!!"?? Heck no.
Hmmmm every time you eat noodle and having your paycheque ( money ) you should thank Chinese because they inverted them

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
Quote:
BTW, what were those mega contributions to global culture and technology that Chicago can claim? Besides the skyscraper and a unique take on Blues music. Oh, and House Music. Not that I would call House a MEGA contribution - sorry fusion2 - i know you love House. I used to be a big House fan too.
I linked you to a webpage with plenty of them. I thought that first self-sustaining nuclear reactor (note: NOT the atomic bomb) was particularly noteworthy. Nuclear fission has had a VERY lasting impact on the world overall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Pile-1

A list of important people from Chicago can be found here: List of people from Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am also partial to the number of subatomic particles discovered at Fermi lab and via the Tevatron:

Fermilab | Science at Fermilab | Historic Results
Tevatron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-14-2013, 08:06 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,713,065 times
I'm trying my best not to jump in here since its off topic.... Though Obama might not have been born in Chicago, he is "from" Chicago. Obama calls Chicago home. Not Hawaii or any other place.

The same way Steve Nash is "from" British Columbia.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:06 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
Quote:
As the moderator of the Toronto forum, you know there aren't many Toronto-based members who post regularly on this site. You know who we are because we mostly stick to our little corner of this board.

In my very first post (and in several subsequent ones) in this thread I stated that I liked Chicago and thought both cities were great. I have no desire to bash any city, nor do the legit Toronto posters I see in this thread. However, it gets tiring dealing with the provincial attitudes of posters like Chicagoist who takes three minutes to look for great accomplishments by Toronto residents and says he can find nothing. Because presumably Toronto is just a Canadian city (and to many Americans, completely and totally inconsequential), and Chicago is just much more important. I mean, look at the size of its derivatives market! So many people have posted here about Chicago's economic might, and I thought it might be time to remind them that if even a moderate portion of their oft-touted economy is based on the figures for the derivatives market, then it may actually add up to less than $0, rather than the billions they claim. Bragging about having the biggest derivatives market in the world is like bragging your city developed the world's most destructive killing machine - oh wait, Chicagoist just did that!

I don't want to bash Chicago, but I'm sick of mostly American posters (of which there are thousands on this board) who let their ignorance about Canada convince them that Toronto "isn't even in the same league." Perhaps Toronto doesn't want to be in whatever league it is that Chicago claims to be a part of.

All of my posts were fair and balanced an non-partisan in this thread. But now I'm just tired of reading the crap these Chicago partisans are putting up here.
I knew what to expect and for the last several months I haven't had a single issue with anyone in the Toronto board, in the meantime it's been informative and I've learned an immense amount just slyly reading every chance I can. It's very well behaved and civilized and I consider myself very fortunate.

In reality I wanted to spend more time learning about Toronto more. I've been in this YOLO (you only live once) mode for the last year and a half and I'd very much like to add Toronto, Seoul, Miami, and New York to my resume of places I've lived.

Already lived in Chicago, where I developed some of my first memories in life and have been back enough to know it well from childhood to adulthood. Remarkable city but I definitely felt that it was time to move on, not because Chicago lacks anything I wanted but because, well, as far as we know, we only live once.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:08 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Ok so Chicago has more famous crooks - I mean Politicians (and corrupt lol - just kidding ) than Toronto..

Welllll on second thought....

ROOBB FORD lol....
Exactly. Chicago don't have Rob Ford, and never will. On the other hand, Toronto's got us a crack-toking, gangster-affiliated, drunk driving bad-ass, don't-give-a-damn mayor with the balls to let his city go to hell. Cause that's how we roll. Here in TO.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:08 PM

340 posts, read 523,834 times
Canadian weighing in here.

Toronto.

I see and read far too many reports that revolve around killing and guns (in Chicago), so that automatically rules out Chicago, for me. Besides, being Canadian and all... how could I snub my own country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City