Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago Vs. Toronto
Chicago 399 61.48%
Toronto 250 38.52%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:27 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times

Advertisements

The northside neighborhoods are pretty damn safe except for a few patches in Rogers Park and Uptown also add in a slice of Evanston that is pretty sketch. Those areas definitely have active gangs and get a few murders consistently every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 12:46 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
The northside neighborhoods are pretty damn safe except for a few patches in Rogers Park and Uptown also add in a slice of Evanston that is pretty sketch. Those areas definitely have active gangs and get a few murders consistently every year.
It is a little disturbing that the equality in Chicago is so divergent depending on what side of the city you are on. From what I have experienced it seems like those northside neighborhoods are relatively safe. However for Chicago to have such a high crime rate, that means the bad neighborhoods must be really bad.

That is a criticism I have heard a lot of Chicago - that it pampers and invests in its core and the upscale (read: white) neighborhoods to the north at the detriment of the west and south side neighborhoods.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:50 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
It is a little disturbing that the equality in Chicago is so divergent depending on what side of the city you are on. From what I have experienced it seems like those northside neighborhoods are relatively safe. However for Chicago to have such a high crime rate, that means the bad neighborhoods must be really bad.

That is a criticism I have heard a lot of Chicago - that it pampers and invests in its core and the upscale (read: white) neighborhoods to the north at the detriment of the west and south side neighborhoods.
Actually there's numerous great neighborhoods on the south side which are very safe. I think the last time Mount Greenwood reported a homicide was in like 2003. Hyde Park, most of Kenwood, Bridgeport, Hegewisch, Beverly, most of Morgan Park, most of Ashburn, Armour Square (Chinatown area), Near South Side (includes the South Loop), and a handful of neighborhoods near Midway airport on the SW side such as Clearing and Garfield Ridge are all pretty damn safe and these aren't necessarily white areas (minus Hegewisch and half of Beverly maybe).

And not everywhere on the north side which is safe is really white. The further north and NW areas of town are more integrated and aren't too white, and are still safe. There are some shady areas in places like Rogers Park, but compared to the bad neighborhoods it's nothing.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:01 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Actually there's numerous great neighborhoods on the south side which are very safe. I think the last time Mount Greenwood reported a homicide was in like 2003. Hyde Park, most of Kenwood, Bridgeport, Hegewisch, Beverly, most of Morgan Park, most of Ashburn, Armour Square (Chinatown area), Near South Side (includes the South Loop), and a handful of neighborhoods near Midway airport on the SW side such as Clearing and Garfield Ridge are all pretty damn safe and these aren't necessarily white areas (minus Hegewisch and half of Beverly maybe).
I'm sure there are - on the way out of Chicago on my first trip I stopped by a Sam Goody (or something) to pick up a CD for the rest of the trip at a strip mall on the southside (past the White Sox stadium). I may have been a bit naive but I definitely didn't feel in danger.

However the bolded only reinforces that some of the neighborhoods in Chicago must have out-of-control crime for a huge city to have such a bad crime rate. If the majority of the city is safe, yet the overall city crime rate is among the worst for large cities, that means there are neighborhoods that are, simply put, completely unsafe for outsiders to enter and must have transitioning-nation levels of violence.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:06 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,326 times
Quote:
I'm sure there are - on the way out of Chicago on my first trip I stopped by a Sam Goody (or something) to pick up a CD for the rest of the trip at a strip mall on the southside (past the White Sox stadium). I may have been a bit naive but I definitely didn't feel in danger.

However the bolded only reinforces that some of the neighborhoods in Chicago must have out-of-control crime for a huge city to have such a bad crime rate. If the majority of the city is safe, yet the overall city crime rate is among the worst for large cities, that means there are neighborhoods that are, simply put, completely unsafe for outsiders to enter and must have transitioning-nation levels of violence.
This true. I would say you have 3-4 really really bad neighborhoods. Then you have anothe 3-4 that are pretty bad. With that being said out of the 77 community areas about 8 of them I would consider crime ridden, with the rest ranging from being okay to very safe. But yeah that dangerous places are really bad.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:08 PM

^ Totally agree. There are some really bad areas that are out of control for sure, although in a few of them not every single area is bad, you'd be surprised. South Shore has some of the most homicides of any community area in the last decade, but there's actually some areas that are totally fine. It's kind of messed up to realize you can be fine one minute and 2 blocks later be in the middle of a disputed gang war or something.

If you go back a few pages, you'll see what I outlined with the homicides. 30% of the 77 community areas since Jan 1, 2007 account for 75% of the overall homicides. If you calculate out the homicide rates in these 30% of neighborhoods (23 to be exact), the overall rates are slightly higher than St. Louis overall, but Detroit and New Orleans are still much worse.

It gives you a little something to think about there...Detroit and New Orleans, even counting their real good neighborhoods, are still much worse off than the worst Chicago neighborhoods on average, related to homicides, in the last 6.6 years.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Englewood, Lawndale, South Shore definitely have out of control crime. Probably 75% of all the murders are in those 3 areas.

Some great areas on Southside, most are far SW though, or inner SW. Somewhere like Hyde Park is surrounded by the hood basically.

Humboldt Park can be bad too, but it's usually hispanic on hispanic crime. The 3 former ones are mostly all black on black crime. The sad thing is, a lot of them are not gang members... many innocent people and kids getting shot.

Quote:
This has been a par for the course complaint since King Daley I

Old 08-21-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Englewood, Lawndale, South Shore definitely have out of control crime. Probably 75% of all the murders are in those 3 areas.
Actually no, 75% of the homicides happen in 23 community areas, not 3, since 2007. This accounts for about 34% of the total population of the city. Austin also has way more homicides than all three of those.

Since January 1, 2007 to August 20, 2013, top 10 worst homicide raw numbers:
1) Austin: 225
2) Humboldt Park: 150
3) West Englewood: 148
4) Greater Grand Crossing: 146
5) Englewood: 140
6) South Shore: 131
7) Roseland: 123
8) Auburn Gresham: 113
9) Chicago Lawn: 112
10) New City: 107

Quote:
Humboldt Park can be bad too, but it's usually hispanic on hispanic crime. The 3 former ones are mostly all black on black crime. The sad thing is, a lot of them are not gang members... many innocent people and kids getting shot.
Austin is one of the worst areas in town, if not THE worst, next to Humboldt Park. Actually if you're going by crime rate alone, West Garfield Park near both of them is probably about the worst in the entire city. I haven't seen a single innocent victim this year in Humboldt Park and the homicides there are down this year (they're down everywhere). It's usually the south side that has the bad aim.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:19 PM

ahh good points. I've definitely driven through several of them. A lot of people probably take Ogden road straight through Lawndale.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:36 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,326 times
I am surprised by Humboldt Park. I know some parts of it really bad, but if anything it's been improving a lot no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City