Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago Vs. Toronto
Chicago 399 61.48%
Toronto 250 38.52%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 02:09 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,768 times

Advertisements

Here's an interesting article about a possible future scenario for the Gardiner, perhaps it's best to just leave it be?

Why the Gardiner is disappearing in a forest of skyscrapers - The Globe and Mail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
Most of this is wrong, or exaggerated, but you didn't contradict anything I wrote, so not sure of your point.

Again, 90% of Toronto construction is condos (no, mentioning some hotels and office buildings built years ago or proposed for the future doesn't contradict this)
No, you're just another troll with a lack of reading comprehension skills and an unhealthy fixation on Toronto who should be banned.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:36 PM

Here's a brand new pic just taken yesterday of a new 47 storey Delta Hotel and adjacent 30 storey office building under construction in downtown Toronto. One of MANY such NON-CONDO developments currently underway -- or maybe this pic is just a mirage since according to certain people I'm just making everything up?

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5489/9...dd7d1bde_b.jpg
photo by Mafaldaboy on urbantoronto

Last edited by JMT; 10-21-2013 at 06:12 PM..

Old 09-24-2013, 07:08 PM

You do realize that buildings that are under construction will soon be completed buildings visible on the skyline, right? Many of them are already highly visible on the skyline, Aura is almost topped out.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:16 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
You do realize that buildings that are under construction will soon be completed buildings visible on the skyline, right? Many of them are already highly visible on the skyline, Aura is almost topped out.
Same applies to other cities. Why don't we just talk about what is there? I mean Toronto building boom is damn impressive even if much of it is the glassy cookie cutter style that will probably look dated in 30 years (Chicago has plenty of these also, don't worry), but still has awhile to catch up, and other cities will have ebbs and flows as well. The steadiness of Toronto's growth won't necessarily last forever. Many cities in the U.S. were having massive booms until stock market drops/real estate bubble, there is nothing evidence wise that says they won't grow substantially again given they have a way longer track record of doing so, esp Chicago or a New York. In Toronto, 108 of the 169 completed 100m skyscrapers in the city were built since 2000, almost 2/3 of the entire prominent skyline.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:08 PM

I came across this post by someone named Tigermaster on another forum, pretty interesting stuff!

Quote:
Take a look at the racial/ethnic distribution in these two cities. Each dot represents 25 people in Chicago, and one person in Toronto. The contrast between the two cities is amazing. In Toronto there are areas where there is a higher concentration of a certain race, but it is impossible to define a clear geographic divide between races. They're very well mixed together. And if you look closely at areas where a race may be more concentrated, you can still see plenty of people of other races living with them. In Chicago the geographic divide is remarkably clear. One side of the street may belong to blacks and the other to hispanics. And there are almost no people of other races living in areas where one race is dominant.
Chicago:

http://i.imgur.com/X0ADjHhl.jpg

Large

Toronto:

http://torontoist.com/wp-content/upl...hnicitymap.jpg

Large

Toronto truly is integrated throughout.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:35 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
I came across this post by someone named Tigermaster on another forum, pretty interesting stuff!

Chicago:

http://i.imgur.com/X0ADjHhl.jpg

Large

Toronto:

http://torontoist.com/wp-content/upl...hnicitymap.jpg

Large

Toronto truly is integrated throughout.
More vintegrated than chicago yeah, but that map shows a lot of segregated areas as well....

Old 10-21-2013, 06:37 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
Anyone else like both cities a lot (or almost equally)?

I do, at least.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 10-21-2013 at 06:53 PM..

Old 10-21-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
More vintegrated than chicago yeah, but that map shows a lot of segregated areas as well....
Look more closely, there are NO areas in Toronto that are segregated to one race, there are merely areas where one race is present in larger numbers than the other races.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:07 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
Anyone else like both cities a lot (or almost equally)?

I do, at least.
I basically like them equally, but the magnitude of the diversity in Toronto gives it a slight edge for me. I love love love them both, though. Toronto, Chicago, Minneapolis, and Washington are my favorite North American cities and I like them all basically equally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City