Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities' fabric is the most urban?
LA 66 52.38%
NOLA 36 28.57%
Miami 24 19.05%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 01:58 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
You're like HAMAS, the way they refuse to accept Israel as a state is the same way you refuse anything to make a case for LA's urban fabric.
I've already accepted the case for LA having a good urban fabric, I just don't think it's the top choice out of these three cities with the way the OP defined it. I'm repeating myself here, I thought we moved on from this already.
Quote:
Get with the program guy, this is getting sad. Automobiles have been an integral part of cities predating 1950. You jealous that New Orleans doesn't have the infrastructure of a city of these times? Don't blame LA for embracing it's infrastructure
No not at all and I don't think too many people are upset NOLA has done a far better job at maintaining it's historical buildings/footprint and not succumbing to the automobile the way many other cities have. LA used to better urban fabric before the automobile destroyed much of it, you should go take a look at the photo thread "Norish LA" on skyscraperpage.com, it really shows how much more human scaled LA used to be especially with it's vast streetcar network. If the automobile was so amazing then why is LA moving more towards public transit and rail? That was a rhetorical question because I know you'll start going all over the place and contradicting yourself with a array of erratic arguments.
Quote:
I don't see a complex, that's exclusively for small towners.
Says the guy who lives in a town with more dead people than living...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 02:05 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I've already accepted the case for LA having a good urban fabric, I just don't think it's the top choice out of these three cities with the way the OP defined it.
Get over the OP. His definition wasn't even in the OP.
Quote:
No not at all and I don't think too many people are upset NOLA has done a far better job at maintaining it's historical buildings/footprint and not succumbing to the automobile the way many other cities have. LA used to better urban fabric before the automobile destroyed much of it, you should go take a look at the photo thread "Norish LA" on skyscraperpage.com, it really shows how much more human scaled LA used to be especially with it's vast streetcar network. If the automobile was so amazing then why is LA moving more towards public transit and rail? That was a rhetorical question because I know you'll start going all over the place and contradicting yourself with a array of erratic arguments.
At one point it was rumored that LA's transit rivaled NYC's. Now the city's moving in the direction where transit, roads, and pedestrians can exist together. New Orleans is stuck in the past. If it's model as a city worked it wouldn't be as small as it is. Cant say the same for LA, 18M and still chugging.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:09 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Get over the OP. His definition wasn't even in the OP.
Who cares? He defined it when someone asked for it, get over the fact it doesn't fit the definition of what you want it to be.
Quote:
At one point it was rumored that LA's transit rivaled NYC's. Now the city's moving in the direction where transit, roads, and pedestrians can exist together. New Orleans is stuck in the past. If it's model as a city worked it wouldn't be as small as it is. Cant say the same for LA, 18M and still chugging.
uhh no, it had the largest street car network but not fully grade separated elevated rail or subways like NYC. Too bad it's residents voted down to build a subway in the 1940's. Stuck in the past with better urban fabric, that's okay with me Makes for a much more pleasurable and unique visit than LA imo.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:39 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Too much of LA is too urban enough not to say it isn't an urban city or to say it isn't a good model to follow. LA's multi-nodal structure is an awesome model to follow.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:58 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Default Some of my pics around L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Show me some pictures then.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:08 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
.At one point it was rumored that LA's transit rivaled NYC's.
By whom? Dick Morris, Joe Scarborough and Sean Hannity, all prognosticator and urban historians extraordinaire?

Quote:
New Orleans is stuck in the past. If it's model as a city worked it wouldn't be as small as it is. Cant say the same for LA, 18M and still chugging.
This is just silly.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:26 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
Most of these areas I posted are about 10,000+ densities. But the poorer areas of town (and the areas that are still recovering from the hurricane) do have vacant lots and abandoned buildings. Plus some of these houses might not hold as many people as one would think since some shotgun houses (which a lot of those houses were) can get a little uncomfortable with more than a few people. Some two unit houses are converted into just one unit. Plus some neighborhoods have mixtures of multi-family and single-family or houses can have various setbacks from the street with various spaces in between houses. I guess it could be a lot of things.
Yeah, but even the ones over 10k are just barely over that and never get more than 15k it seems. Makes no difference to me really, just though it was curious considering how densely developed it is in places.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:43 AM

640 posts, read 1,225,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Yeah, but even the ones over 10k are just barely over that and never get more than 15k it seems. Makes no difference to me really, just though it was curious considering how densely developed it is in places.
It's mostly due to Katrina and the fact the the city had been losing population since the 60s. There are still 34,000 blighted residential buildings in the city.

A lot of neighborhoods in the city used to be closer to 18,000 ppsm before Katrina. So, as the city continues to grow, we may see it reach back to that.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:47 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
It's mostly due to Katrina and the fact the the city had been losing population since the 60s. There are still 34,000 blighted residential buildings in the city.

A lot of neighborhoods in the city used to be closer to 18,000 ppsm before Katrina. So, as the city continues to grow, we may see it reach back to that.
Makes sense. Hopefully it does.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:33 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYahoos View Post
This is just silly.
You were not addressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City