Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities' fabric is the most urban?
LA 66 52.38%
NOLA 36 28.57%
Miami 24 19.05%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 05:21 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
By density Miami is the most urban. It has 11,000 people per square mile and its metro area is fairly dense since half the county they are in is everglades they have to build up not out.

ALthough by fabric, LA is probably the most urban. despite the apperance of sprawl all the houses are fairly compacted together and many places in LA have densities of 15,000 or more.

New Orleans is urban but only in certain areas. The central core of new orleans and the surrounding neighborhoods are urban but slowly the city turns in to a city with no density. The density of New orleans right now is 1800. Although the layout of streets is overall very urban like paris.
Miami is only 36 sq miles though. It's 12x smaller than the city of L.A.

It's like comparing Miami to West Hollywood (18,000 ppsm).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 05:48 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
NOLA provides the best urban walking experience imo. It offers a larger and more inviting walkable urban experience than Miami and a better experience than LA, which is larger and disconnected in comparison. Neither LA or Miami has development over an equal amount of area built on a human scale like NOLA and surely nothing that can compare to the French Quarter. It's such an easy and nice city to explore on foot.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:51 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Miami MSA: 5,564,635
Miami UA: 5,502,379

Almost a 93% match. No leap frog development & barely any density below the United States threshold.

Here are the other two cities for comparison's sake.

Los Angeles MSA: 12,828,837
Los Angeles US: 12,150,996

Los Angeles is also very close at 94% match.

New Orleans MSA: 1,167,764
New Orleans UA: 899,703

There, that is the weakest link. Only 77% match in contrast.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 11-19-2012 at 06:00 PM..

Old 11-19-2012, 05:56 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,421 times
Urban fabric? I'm willing to bet LA has more of it than Miami or NOLA combined. Miami is so small, NOLA too though it does have some great area's no doubt. But LA just has so much more of it all around. As for density, only New York City has more people living in densities higher than 20,000 than Los Angeles. LA gets unfairly knocked for "not being urban" but that just is not true at all. That city is a beast.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:00 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Urban fabric? I'm willing to bet LA has more of it than Miami or NOLA combined. Miami is so small, NOLA too though it does have some great area's no doubt. But LA just has so much more of it all around. As for density, only New York City has more people living in densities higher than 20,000 than Los Angeles. LA gets unfairly knocked for "not being urban" but that just is not true at all. That city is a beast.
I agree, though New Orleans does offer a large area of extremely pleasant walkability, those areas didn't seem to be that much larger than say, Downtown Los Angeles or Santa Monica. In this case I don't think the semi-disconnected nature of these areas in Los Angeles is enough for New Orleans or Miami to overtake, considering just how much more there is in the City of Los Angeles, let alone the urban area.

That being said you are much more likely to come across something that is a huge pedestrian turn-off (i.e. lack of crosswalks, strip mall) in Central Los Angeles than you are in the most inner neighborhoods of New Orleans. Probably a wash with Miami, or even in LA's favor.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:08 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Miami MSA: 5,564,635
Miami UA: 5,502,379

Almost a 93% match. No leap frog development & barely any density below the United States threshold.

Here are the other two cities for comparison's sake.

Los Angeles MSA: 12,828,837
Los Angeles US: 12,150,996

Los Angeles is also very close at 94% match.

New Orleans MSA: 1,167,764
New Orleans UA: 899,703

There, that is the weakest link. Only 77% match in contrast.
In LA's case it's not 100% because Palmdale and Lancaster both apart of LA county and metro are separated by the rest of the development to their south by a mountain range and national forest.

LA is handily the biggest, densest, and most urban footprint of these 3.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I agree, though New Orleans does offer a large area of extremely pleasant walkability, those areas didn't seem to be that much larger than say, Downtown Los Angeles or Santa Monica. In this case I don't think the semi-disconnected nature of these areas in Los Angeles is enough for New Orleans or Miami to overtake, considering just how much more there is in the City of Los Angeles, let alone the urban area.

That being said you are much more likely to come across something that is a huge pedestrian turn-off (i.e. lack of crosswalks, strip mall) in Central Los Angeles than you are in the most inner neighborhoods of New Orleans. Probably a wash with Miami, or even in LA's favor.
I don't know, I've walked from Napolean Ave all the way to the French Quarter down St Charles or on Magazine St. Have also walked from the FQ to Frenchman St in the Marginy. From Napolean Ave to Frenchmen St is probably 4-4.5 miles. I'm not sure there is any place in Miami and LA where you could walk for half that distance with as nice of a walking experience as NOLA. I suppose maybe Santa Monica down to Venice along the ocean is a pretty good distance though. NOLA's residential areas are very nice and interesting to walk through compared to LA and Miami.

NOLA is pretty much the only city out of these three to be significantly large during the "walking city" era and has probably changed the least too.

For this thread, LA has the quantity but I'd give quality to NOLA.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:17 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't know, I've walked from Napolean Ave all the way to the French Quarter down St Charles or on Magazine St. Have also walked from the FQ to Frenchman St in the Marginy. From Napolean Ave to Frenchmen St is probably 4-4.5 miles. I'm not sure there is any place in Miami and LA where you could walk for half that distance with as nice of a walking experience as NOLA. I suppose maybe Santa Monica down to Venice along the ocean is a pretty good distance though.

NOLA is pretty much the only city out of these three to be significantly large during the "walking city" era and has probably changed the least too.
What do you consider a nice walking experience? I've had similar nice experiences walking the 16 miles from DTLA to the Ocean. If there is a way to measure that I'm all for it, but it's to vague/subjective really.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
What do you consider a nice walking experience? I've had similar nice experiences walking the 16 miles from DTLA to the Ocean. If there is a way to measure that I'm all for it, but it's to vague/subjective really.
Streets and sidewalks on a human scale and interesting architecture and landscaping for the most part. Nice Main St type commerical corridors too. One thing NOLA I think really has over LA and Miami when it comes to a pleasant walking experience is scale and residential architecture.

I've done a lot of walking in LA too. One time for work I had to spend a lot of time on Wilshire, LA's premier boulevard, basically doing some study/research on their transit and covered a lot of ground from Westwood to Mid-Wilshire and also in and around Downtown LA. I've walked from Broadway to MacArthur Park, through some of LA's most urban and densest areas. You know the car is king in LA even on one of the most transit rich corridors, it doesn't feel that way in NOLA at all. Walking down Wilshire Blvd versus St Charles Ave is a completely different experience.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:32 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
LA obviously. How many times must we go through this?

Wtf there are folks out there that think a city with barely 200k folks competes with LA? Is this a joke?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City