Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities' fabric is the most urban?
LA 66 52.38%
NOLA 36 28.57%
Miami 24 19.05%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 05:13 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,768,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Why do you disagree with it? For the most part, Santa Monica appears to be a little more mixed-use and three dimensional than other areas of LA. When you turn a corner, the built environment stays rather consistent. It actually reminds me of Miami Beach.
IMO I'd just say it has a more consistent streetwall and doesn't have many strip malls, parking lots, big-box stores, industrial uses, etc. At least not in the tourist-y part that most people see when visiting Santa Monica . The only real difference in Santa Monica is the commercial arteries rarely have flaws, where in Central LA there are. Residential in Santa Monica is no different than other dense parts of the Westside, not nearly as urban looking as in Hollywood or Mid-Wilshire and certainly not even close to DTLA residential.

Santa Monica is probably the most urban part of the Westside, though I think Palms or Venice have a decent argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 05:16 PM

31,887 posts, read 34,396,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Agree on the Miami Beach comparator. Though for both even though they have a decent cohesion. They both lose it. It to me might seem that Santa Monica loses the dimensionalty somewhere like maybe 8th street
Yes, but it holds it a little longer than other places, imo, and it's also more mixed-use. I can see why Dweebo would say what he said.

Quote:
That said I still find other parts of LA more urban. Maybe I am different than others but South Beach doesnt scream urban to me - maybe to me it feels too resorty. Santa Monica does feel a little resorty but less so when compared to South Beach.
"Urban fabric," imo, relates to the built environment more than anything else. When Donald Shoup talks about parking and how it causes "significant disruptions in the urban fabric," it's clear he's talking about the built environment, no?

Quote:
LA though (like Miami to a lessor extent) is a place hard to really understand, especially how it all connects in the urban fabric.
Not really. The city was built by Americans from the East...not aliens.

The city's layout is partially due to its coming of age during the streetcar era. And partially due to its coming of age during the auto era. It just became denser than most cities of that era. Just like NYC became much denser than cities of its era (i.e., Philly, Boston, Baltimore).

Old 11-27-2012, 05:23 PM

507 posts, read 802,726 times
Quote:
I don't think he's off at all. I've been to Santa Monica and I get what he's saying. There are fewer parking lots, narrower streets and more three dimensional walkability. It's a bit more cohesive than other parts of the city.

And why is it that anytime someone has a different opinion of LA you have to claim that the poster's "not familiar with the city?" If I'm not mistaken, Dweebo's from LA and lives there now. And not in the Valley...he lives in Central LA.
So because you've been to Santa Monica for a visit that makes you an expert? You like many others judge the city of LA from the Westside, but any native angeleno will tell you that the area adjacent west of downtown is by far the most urban, this is followed closely by mid city, east Hollywood, and Hollywood, also city west has the best PT on top of that, this is not a matter of debate.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
IMO I'd just say it has a more consistent streetwall and doesn't have many strip malls, parking lots, big-box stores, industrial uses, etc.
In other words, it has a better urban fabric.

Quote:
Residential in Santa Monica is no different than other dense parts of the Westside, not nearly as urban looking as in Hollywood or Mid-Wilshire
The urbanity in these places is more ephemeral, imo. Yes, you have some tall buildings and lots of storefronts on a few thoroughfares, but the development overall is choppy, inconsistent and more car-centric.

Quote:
and certainly not even close to DTLA residential.
The CBD will invariably be the most urban part of any city. That's kind of a given and therefore excluded from the analysis (in my mind anyway).

Old 11-27-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
So because you've been to Santa Monica for a visit that makes you an expert? You like many others judge the city of LA from the Westside, but any native angeleno will tell you that the area adjacent west of downtown is by far the most urban, and has the best PT on top of that, this is not a matter of debate.
I said nothing about being an "expert." I said that I could see where Dweebo, who could be considered an "expert" of sorts pertaining to most things Los Angeles, was coming from.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I said nothing about being an "expert." I said that I could see where Dweebo, who could be considered an "expert" of sorts pertaining to most things Los Angeles, was coming from.
So you have 3 other angelenos telling you he's sorely mistaken, yet you take his word just to ruffle feathers right?

Old 11-27-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
So you have 3 other angelenos telling you he's sorely mistaken, yet you take his word just to ruffle feathers right?
That's funny coming from a guy who calls himself "The Instigator?"

Old 11-27-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
That's funny coming from a guy who calls himself "The Instigator?"
Aren't we both?

Old 11-27-2012, 05:35 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,768,247 times
Quote:
In other words, it has a better urban fabric.

The urbanity in these places is more ephemeral, imo. Yes, you have some tall buildings and lots of storefronts on a few thoroughfares, but the development overall is choppy, inconsistent and more car-centric.

The CBD will invariably be the most urban part of any city. That's kind of a given and therefore excluded from the analysis (in my mind anyway).
Well considering the Hollywood you saw was the one in the Bing Maps aerial view, then I can see what you are talking about. These are just a few mega projects that have gone in since probably around 07 or so... Maybe they haven't changed much but they take up entire blocks by themselves and are right in the most tourist-y parts of Hollywood:

Then: Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions
Now: hollywood, ca - Google Maps

Now: hollywood, ca - Google Maps

Now: hollywood, ca - Google Maps (and parking lots to the right are / will be under construction)

I saw about 10 other new developments that were not in the older Bing Maps from about 5 years ago vs the 2 or 3 year old Google Maps too, there has been a lot of change in the area.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Aren't we both?
Nope. I'm more like The Procastinator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City