Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities' fabric is the most urban?
LA 66 52.38%
NOLA 36 28.57%
Miami 24 19.05%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:38 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Wow LA looks like a perfectly nice Mexican town from these pictures.
Mexican and Central American! Pretty awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 08:54 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I thought the 2010 census said NYC only had 400 billion rats, 500 billion rats must be a future projection or they might have taken in the Mercer County rats or stolen more CSA area from Philadelphia.

And yes those pictures somebody posts portray the bustling areas of LA as very Mexican...

That area here:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=lange...,69.54,,0,6.49
honestly looks like the ghetto or something

going closer to DT

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=lange...31.14,,0,-6.49

also, the original picture here:

looks significantly busier than what I see on google maps, which their car usually comes through during the day on weekdays. so maybe that was an event or something going on around there to "ramp up" the bustle.

Some quick looking pulls up

Westlake is one of the most densely populated neighborhoods in Los Angeles, with a population density of 38,212 persons/mile².[1] Westlake is one of the least diverse areas in the city with 73.4% of the population being Latino,[3] with Asians, at 16.5% of the population, comprising the next largest group. El Salvador (17.2%) and Mexico (36.8%) are the most common foreign places of birth for residents.

So basically it's only 11% black and white combined there... right next to downtown. Doesn't seem desirable whatsoever. Are there any desirable areas in downtown or next to downtown?

Koreatown is dense and right next door, it's 54% hispanic and 23% Korean.

So basically there isn't much diversity or integration between the core LA neighborhoods nor much of any gentrification.
Naw that's what it has looked like every time I've gone there. Streetview car probably went through on a weekday and the pics are probably from the weekend. That's my guess about the discrepancy.

Westlake's not diverse and neither is Pico-Union (at least not diverse in that it is highly Hispanic), Koreatown and Hollywood are diverse. Anyways LA is just non-gentrified, and I like it that way at least to some extent. We are never going to agree on this as you seem to prefer polished urban environments - I like some grit thrown in there for good measure

Old 11-30-2012, 09:09 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
I thought the 2010 census said NYC only had 400 billion rats, 500 billion rats must be a future projection or they might have taken in the Mercer County rats or stolen more CSA area from Philadelphia.

And yes those pictures somebody posts portray the bustling areas of LA as very Mexican...

That area here:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=lange...,69.54,,0,6.49
honestly looks like the ghetto or something

going closer to DT

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=lange...31.14,,0,-6.49

also, the original picture here:

looks significantly busier than what I see on google maps, which their car usually comes through during the day on weekdays. so maybe that was an event or something going on around there to "ramp up" the bustle.

Some quick looking pulls up

Westlake is one of the most densely populated neighborhoods in Los Angeles, with a population density of 38,212 persons/mile².[1] Westlake is one of the least diverse areas in the city with 73.4% of the population being Latino,[3] with Asians, at 16.5% of the population, comprising the next largest group. El Salvador (17.2%) and Mexico (36.8%) are the most common foreign places of birth for residents.

So basically it's only 11% black and white combined there... right next to downtown. Doesn't seem desirable whatsoever. Are there any desirable areas in downtown or next to downtown?

Koreatown is dense and right next door, it's 54% hispanic and 23% Korean.

So basically there isn't much diversity or integration between the core LA neighborhoods nor much of any gentrification.
It's a pretty common sight to see that many people about where that picture is taken. Westlake is a poor working class immigrant neighborhood, but it's not really a bad one anymore. Crime per capita is a bit higher than average for LA, but generally if you aren't involved with anything then nothing will happen to you. It's unlikely to be appealing to many people though there are some interesting things in the area. The more residential parts of downtown LA such as the Historic Core are very desirable and I think there was a LA Times articles recently about how it just hit the point of 1/4 asian, 1/4 hispanic, 1/4 black, 1/4 white. Echo Park is pretty desirable (hip desirable rather than established old money desirable) and close to downtown.

There's a connected linear downtown of sorts going down Wilshire (at parts growing into larger centers) to the Westside which is closer to a lot more posh neighborhoods.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:14 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
This block bordered by W.7th, S. Alvarado St., S. Westlake, and W. 8th is good urban form. compared to some of the other blocks I've seen. The perimeter highlighted around the block is the face of business that give pedestrians more reasons to come here. This is ideal. Now is this the best urban design at maximum potential. No, however it does help give this area vibrancy. In this block notice how the parking area is hidden inside the block. I will have to give credit where credit is due. Now when looking at the other blocks near by I honestly can't rank them higher than this one. This block is mix use which comprises of both businesses and residential. Swap shops are popular.

West Lake perimeter
http://goo.gl/maps/gngd6
The perimeter along this block highlighted in yellow is residential. This is one of the areas that may explain some of the pedestrian traffic. I don't know how many units are in these building but I'm quite sure some of these residents aren't likely to go too far for a pack a smokes. Right next door seems to be a laundry mat and a pizza place.

Remaining 3 perimeters
Corner of Alvarado/ W. 8th -> http://goo.gl/maps/7yPaa
Corner of Alvarado/ W. 7th -> http://goo.gl/maps/AJxcB
The other 3 perimeters of this block are lined with various businesses giving more of a purpose to this area and other areas as a drawing point. Langer's Square strike me as being an ethnic neighborhood which is nice.

Last edited by urbanologist; 11-30-2012 at 09:24 PM..

Old 11-30-2012, 09:15 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Naw that's what it has looked like every time I've gone there. Streetview car probably went through on a weekday and the pics are probably from the weekend. That's my guess about the discrepancy.

Westlake's not diverse and neither is Pico-Union (at least not diverse in that it is highly Hispanic), Koreatown and Hollywood are diverse. Anyways LA is just non-gentrified, and I like it that way at least to some extent. We are never going to agree on this as you seem to prefer polished urban environments - I like some grit thrown in there for good measure
So why don't you live in one of those neighborhoods if you like them so much? Surely you would get much more bang for your buck there. Is it because, despite all the rhetoric, you still prefer the more polished urbanity of Hollywood?

In fact all the LA boosters over here keep trumpeting the fabulous urbanity of central LA but none of you actually lives there! What does that say?

Old 11-30-2012, 09:18 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Quote:

So basically it's only 11% black and white combined there... right next to downtown.
We have similar tastes but the cities we like are 180's. I never understood why folks on CD hate Mexicans and Mexico so much, it's a beautiful country with some of the best people anywhere IMO. I love Mexico City, one of my favorite cities in the whole world, love Mexican culture and history too. I have always loved the Mexican culture in LA, just one of the many reasons why its the city of my dreams.

Echo Park is right up your ally. You mentioned that you used to live in San Francisco, I'm moving back into the city in February, Nob Hill to be exact. Where in San Francisco did you live? You come across as a Russian Hill expat

Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
LA, just one of the many reasons why its the city of my dreams.
No offense but if LA is the city of your dreams then why aren't you living there?

Old 11-30-2012, 09:33 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
We have similar tastes but the cities we like are 180's. I never understood why folks on CD hate Mexicans and Mexico so much, it's a beautiful country with some of the best people anywhere IMO. I love Mexico City, one of my favorite cities in the whole world, love Mexican culture and history too. I have always loved the Mexican culture in LA, just one of the many reasons why its the city of my dreams.

Echo Park is right up your ally. You mentioned that you used to live in San Francisco, I'm moving back into the city in February, Nob Hill to be exact. Where in San Francisco did you live? You come across as a Russian Hill expat
I use to live near Miami. When I was young clubbing with friends we would sometimes head over to one of the mom and pop places in Little Havana for a late night eat. I miss having Cuban food.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:34 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
No offense but if LA is the city of your dreams then why aren't you living there?
Wife, job, and relatives.

My wife doesn't want to live anywhere else in the states except San Francisco, Portland, Austin, or Seattle.

Last edited by scrantiX; 11-30-2012 at 09:51 PM..

Old 11-30-2012, 09:34 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
So why don't you live in one of those neighborhoods if you like them so much? Surely you would get much more bang for your buck there. Is it because, despite all the rhetoric, you still prefer the more polished urbanity of Hollywood?

In fact all the LA boosters over here keep trumpeting the fabulous urbanity of central LA but none of you actually lives there! What does that say?
I lived in pre-gentrified Hollywood for years, and I'd move in DTLA or Koreatown in a heartbeat, if something came up and the mood struck me. Go check the demographic shifts of DTLA and Echo Park and tell me L.A.'s more urban neighborhoods lack potential or desirability.

Even though your "Mexican town" comment was meant as an insult, I'll take it as a compliment. Here's hoping L.A. doesn't sell its soul to Zooey Dechanel/Paul Thomas Anderson set like a certain borough that shall remain nameless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City