Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities' fabric is the most urban?
LA 66 52.38%
NOLA 36 28.57%
Miami 24 19.05%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
By the way, El Polo Loco is *not* a local chain... must have different ideas of what a local chain is. They have them in Texas, Nevada, Utah, Bay Area, Arizona...If that is what you guys consider "local" chains I'll have to re-evaluate past posts. I consider a local chain a restaurant that maybe has a few locations in the city, and nowhere else.
might just be, if we don't recognize the store from back home it must not be a chain. Traveling around the west, I assumed a few stores I never heard of were local chains until I found them elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 10:07 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
BajanYankee I agree, my thresholds are definitely different. There comes a point where it's like whatever, I'll get in the car, walking should be pleasing and centered around the pedestrian...

By the way, El Polo Loco is *not* a local chain... must have different ideas of what a local chain is. They have them in Texas, Nevada, Utah, Bay Area, Arizona...If that is what you guys consider "local" chains I'll have to re-evaluate past posts. I consider a local chain a restaurant that maybe has a few locations in the city, and nowhere else.

LOLOL Okay.... I don't even know what that means.

It is local because the first American location was in Westlake (yeah it's that one at Alvarado and 6th). If branching outside of your original city makes you a non-local chain, then cross In-and-Out, Carl's Jr., etc off the list too.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:10 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
LOLOL Okay.... I don't even know what that means.

It is local because the first American location was in Westlake (yeah it's that one at Alvarado and 6th). If branching outside of your original city makes you a non-local chain, then cross In-and-Out, Carl's Jr., etc off the list too.
Oh man... definitely cross all of them out, those aren't local chains any more than Atlanta having the first Moe's makes it a local chain or Chipotle in Denver..or Peet's Coffee from Berkeley, etc.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Oh man... definitely cross all of them out, those aren't local chains any more than Atlanta having the first Moe's makes it a local chain or Chipotle in Denver..or Peet's Coffee from Berkeley, etc.
Peet's is definitely a Bay Area company. Just cause you have one in Chicago a handful in Boston doesn't make it a national chain. Huge difference between that and Chipotle, which probably has a location in every city over 50k at this point.

I don't know what point you are trying to make. Yes El Polo Loco is a national chain but originally a local business. There are real local chains here too, with no locations outside of LA.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Peet's is definitely a Bay Area company. Just cause you have one in Chicago a handful in Boston doesn't make it a national chain. Huge difference between that and Chipotle, which probably has a location in every city over 50k at this point.

I don't know what point you are trying to make. Yes El Polo Loco is a national chain but originally a local business. There are real local chains here too, with no locations outside of LA.
I can get Peet's coffee in almost every decent store I've ever been in including Whole Foods anywhere, Publix in Florida, etc. etc. It's a national chain and obviously as I said, we have a different threshold. If I wanted to check out a "local" shop in the Bay Area it certainly wouldn't be Peet's. It is a Bay Area company for sure, but it isn't a local chain. Once they open locations around the country, plan on expanding more, and distribute their coffee and brand throughout national retail distributors, it is NOT a local chain.

The point I am making is I have seen that a few times now with what people consider local chains, I saw you mention El Pollo Loco that it was a local chain... so I wanted to hear your or anybody elses thoughts on it. If I post about a local chain, I don't mean something like El Pollo Loco. I don't think anybody from NYC or Boston for example means that either.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:22 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
I've heard of El Pollo Loco, but never seen it around my way. So I'd assume it was localized in LA. Kinda like Cookout in NC, Miami Subs, and Checkers.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I've heard of El Pollo Loco, but never seen it around my way. So I'd assume it was localized in LA. Kinda like Cookout in NC, Miami Subs, and Checkers.
I'm not sure, I always assumed it was all over the country. I just meant it was founded as a local chain.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:25 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Maybe you should gives examples for not welcoming.
How about I show you streets in LA I do find to be welcoming instead?

Downtown Santa Monica, CA - Google Maps

This is really about the only place I would consider walking for multiple blocks for enjoyment or otherwise. It's three dimensional (for a little while anyway), pedestrian-scaled and has sidewalks populated with more than a few stragglers. This is where I would live if I were primarily concerned about pedestrianism.

Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps

The above link is much more car-scaled (as evidenced by the large billboard to the left).

Farther down is not much better.

Not walking here unless I've already driven to the area.

Unwelcoming.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Another Walkability Survey, And Why We (Don't) Walk in L.A.: LAist

Old 12-04-2012, 10:49 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
I was in dt Los Angeles yesterday. I caught the subway to have lunch at a deli in MacArthur Park/Westlake. From there I walked to Koreatown mainly down Wilshire with my camera of course. Also walked a few side streets. I lived in a few cities over the years and honestly I don't see any difference with this and walking down any main street in any other city. Did I see a gas station? Yes. Is that any different from seeing gas stations on Walnut St in Philadelphia or on Pennsylvania Ave on Capitol Hill? Did I notice fewer people? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City