Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 10:41 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,082,322 times

Advertisements

Here's an interesting interactive tool that you can use to compare cities and a various of quality of life issues. You can choose the specific QOL issue you want to compare. 2010 Quality Of Life Major Markets - Interactive Features - Portfolio.com
Take particular note of the city that's the overall #1 city for quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 06:11 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,755,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Here's an interesting interactive tool that you can use to compare cities and a various of quality of life issues. You can choose the specific QOL issue you want to compare. 2010 Quality Of Life Major Markets - Interactive Features - Portfolio.com
Take particular note of the city that's the overall #1 city for quality of life.
I think for its size,Raleigh has an abudance of factor that make it number 1.However just as Atlanta cannot compete with NYC,Raleigh cannot compete with Atlanta.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:47 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,821,170 times
In certain areas it can compete, like higher ed and high tech. But of course, overall the two are in different tiers. It still speaks well of Raleigh to be the fastest-growing large metro in the nation.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:01 AM

272 posts, read 379,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
It's amazing how Raleigh continues its torrid growth despite how little love it gets on City-Data general and city vs city forums.

BTW, Raleigh's crime rate is lower than both Birmingham and Atlanta. In fact, it has the lowest crime rate of any large city in NC. Its "top to bottom" education is better than Atlanta and Birmingham: inclusive of public school education through college. Its adult citizens are better educated than both other metros. Raleigh's unemployment rate is also lower than both Atlanta and Birmingham.

Many of the other criteria are subjective while some others are objective. Without checking the facts, I'd guess that Raleigh is the most expensive of the three cities.

All three cities have similar landscapes and flora though Birmingham's is probably the most dramatic with that mountain slicing through town. Atlanta and Birmingham are closer to the mountains while Raleigh is closer to the coast.

By sheer numbers of people, Atlanta is going to have (by far) the most to do. But, I completely disagree that Raleigh is boring. I split time between SouthBeach and Raleigh and am not bored in Raleigh and neither are my friends who visit me from Miami. I guess it's a function of the fact that I hang my hat downtown and not in the burbs.

As for the people, well....that's going to depend on what sort of people you are seeking and what sort of people you find agreeable to you.

As for diversity, that's both objective and subjective. All three cities have sizeable African American communities though Raleigh's is the smallest by percentage. Conversely, Raleigh has a very fast growing Asian and South Asian community and, likewise, the largest % of Asians of the three. If you are inclined to measure diversity by the percentage of the population that is not white, then Birmingham wins by a mile. While Raleigh is the only city of the three that has a majority white population in the city limits, it also has the highest % of hispanics of the three and the highest diversity rating.
  • Raleigh - 62.4 diversity index
  • Atlanta - 58.5 diversity index
  • Birmingham - 43 diversity index
I couldn't have said it better...

Old 10-15-2014, 05:42 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,620,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TONY TONE View Post
some might say that Raleigh's Skylines can rival with that of ATL's
No sane person is going to say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City