Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 02:24 PM

239 posts, read 306,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And trying to use only raw, absolute numbers are for those that can't accept the fact their city/metro isn't number one in the per capita category so you have to go to the whole "bigger is better" argument, how very Texan of you. Yes a bigger population generally means more of everything but that's doesn't mean per capita rankings aren't a useful measure to look at.
Sometimes but use common sense here (especially comparing two completely different cities in size/scope).

Do you really think Singapore and Bermuda are richer places than the United States? Have you ever heard Jersey, Singapore and Lichtenstein described as "richer" than the United States? Looking at nominal/per capita income and output, they are. Do you honestly think Anchorage, Alaska is richer than London? According to per capita income statistics, it is. New Hampshire richer than California? According to income per capita data, it is too.

(But mention that New Hampshire is richer than California and 18Montclair will no doubt drop down into this thread like a bat out of hell, fangs out, quickly dismissing such a though and produce a set of statistics and arguments that show otherwise, even though New Hampshire trumps California in wealth using all per capita metrics. LOL)

Deciphering all wealth statistics (either percentage or raw wise), I'm pretty sure most will agree that New York City is richest region on this planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 02:43 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Ha, cause that's exactly what I said. Making it look like I said one thing and ignoring everything else I said cause you can't rebut it doesn't invalidate my whole argument, nice try though. If you actually wanna argue against some of the things I wrote go ahead.
Your whole argument was stating the obvious, not much of an argument to begin with or anything or argue against really. It's pretty BS to say people who use per capita figures are trying to "avoid the truth" when that isn't really the case, you just don't like what the per capita figures show in this comparison along with some of the NY homers, it what it is. And in some cases, looking at per capita figures is better way to look at things than absolute raw numbers, particularly with crime rates.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:43 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,520,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The Bay Area is richer on average.

The Bay Area is more diverse on average.

Once again, the Bay Area is more educated on average.

And yet the most prestigious resturant rating in the world says that New York has 95 excellent budget eateries compared to 74 for the Bay Area and you call that incomparable?

HA! Get over it.

Actually if I am someone that wants to make a lot of money, to be surrounded by people who are highly educated and of different races-the Bay Area compares very, VERY well to New York.

And that's on top of scenery, architecture and whatever else you think is the limited breadth of San Francisco's scope compared to NY.

I dont think so. The Bay Area is incredible on many fronts and goes toe to toe with New York in many areas most people obviously think is a slam dunk in NYs favor.

But like Ive stated as far as size, NY blows us out of the water-duh?

But before I get a bunch of hate mail and threatening rep comments which is always the case when it comes to any thread which compares NY and SF, Im not downing NY because it really cant be downed. Im simply pointing out areas that SF does well in.

Sheesh.
All I see is on average. A two square mile city with 100 people could be better than SF in all those aspects on average, does that make it better or mean it can even compete? You could say it's not actually "better" in those criteria cause the percents are skewed because of the difference in size and population and that SF has more in reality and quantity even if percents don't represent that. But you're right, that's a bad argument.

By the way, Union city in New Jersey is far more urban and dense (1 square mile, 52,977.8/sq mi) than SF, it's much better than SF in both those and can actually compete and go toe to toe with SF in those criteria. If you want real density and a real urban experience come to Union City, on average it's true. Same logic.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Your whole argument was stating the obvious, not much of an argument to begin with or anything or argue against really. It's pretty BS to say people who use per capita figures are trying to "avoid the truth" when that isn't really the case, you just don't like what the per capita figures show in this comparison along with some of the NY homers, it what it is. And in some cases, looking at per capita figures is better way to look at things than absolute raw numbers, particularly with crime rates.
I was just showing the other side of things where 18Montclair only shows everything by percent so as to only favor SF here. And you're right, everything else I said in that post was incredibly obvious, clearly you can't argue with it, I was right. Or do you think it somehow makes sense to say 47 square mile, 800,000 SF has more variety in food and restaurants than 300 square mile, 8,000,000 NY?

Old 03-24-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAC NY View Post
Sometimes but use common sense here (especially comparing two completely different cities in size/scope).

Do you really think Singapore and Bermuda are richer places than the United States? Have you ever heard Jersey, Singapore and Lichtenstein described as "richer" than the United States? Looking at nominal/per capita income and output, they are. Do you honestly think Anchorage, Alaska is richer than London? According to per capita income statistics, it is. New Hampshire richer than California? According to income per capita data, it is too.

(But mention that New Hampshire is richer than California and 18Montclair will no doubt drop down into this thread like a bat out of hell, fangs out, quickly dismissing such a though and produce a set of statistics and arguments that show otherwise, even though New Hampshire trumps California in wealth using all per capita metrics. LOL)

Deciphering all wealth statistics (either percentage or raw wise), I'm pretty sure most will agree that New York City is richest region on this planet.
Per capita wealth vs overall wealth, yes there is a difference there. Overall Singapore and other small wealthy nations are not wealthier than the US but on average or a per capita basis they are. You're less likely to run into poverty in places like Singapore than the US, but of course that doesn't mean it's "wealthier" overall when you take everything into account. Just as you are more likely to run into someone living below the poverty line in the NY metro than you are the SF Bay Area.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Per capita wealth vs overall wealth, yes there is a difference there. Overall Singapore and other small wealthy nations are not wealthier than the US but on average or a per capita basis they are. You're less likely to run into poverty in places like Singapore than the US, but of course that doesn't mean it's "wealthier" overall when you take everything into account. Just as you are more likely to run into someone living below the poverty line in the NY metro than you are the SF Bay Area.
So you agree, SF having more per capita wealth doesn't make it actually wealthier or affluent than NY. (And yes that was stated in this thread)

"Just as you are more likely to run into someone living below the poverty line in the NY metro than you are the SF Bay Area."

And as much as that's true, there's also way more wealthy people in the NY area than in the Bay.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I was just showing the other side of things where 18Montclair only shows everything by percent so as to only favor SF here. And you're right, everything else I said in that post was incredibly obvious, clearly you can't argue with it, I was right. Or do you think it somehow makes sense to say 47 square mile, 800,000 SF has more variety in food and restaurants than 300 square mile, 8,000,000 NY?
When you're comparing things that are vastly different in size, per capita actually may be a better way to look at it because it makes things more equal and comparable on the same level. This is especially true with crime rates, rarely do you see crime rates expressed in raw numbers. That doesn't mean it not worth mentioning NY is bigger and will offer more of everything pretty much, but that should be obvious imo, maybe not everybody though.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:59 PM

38 posts, read 53,905 times
My dad lived in San Fran amd I used to spend every single summer in San Francisco and to be honest SF SUCKS compared to NYC.

I'm so West Coast but I'd much rather live in NYC than Sam Francsco. NYC is just waaaay better than SF. Too much to go into detail.

SF ppl do look fug and dirty too. Such a contrast with SoCal. In LA, NYC is more popular than SF which nobody here cares about. I don't really like that city.. And I'm glad I don't have to go as often.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
When you're comparing things that are vastly different in size, per capita actually may be a better way to look at it because it makes things more equal and comparable on the same level. This is especially true with crime rates, rarely do you see crime rates expressed in raw numbers. That doesn't mean it not worth mentioning NY is bigger and will offer more of everything pretty much, but that should be obvious imo, maybe not everybody though.
I never said per capitas and percents had no worth or value, they do, but you also can't ignore the actual numbers either. All I saw in this thread was someone posting percents and actually arguing that that realistically translates into SF and the Bay matching and beating NY and the NY area. Percents are very useful, but you can't argue with just half the story and call it the truth.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:08 PM

205 posts, read 298,753 times
I've gone back and read ALL the old SF versus NYC threads and they start the same way, LOL.

1. In the first few pages, 90% of posters say NYC is better.
2. 18Montclair is flustered, takes offense and randomly bombards the tread with per capita income data

every. single. time.

I swear, dig them all up.

It even happened within the first few pages of Central Park vs Golden Gate Park thread. LOL, what the hell.

18montclair, SF has nowhere near NY's wealth and it's so much more of a popular city so it shouldn't be a suprise NY wins these polls. Why do these NYC vs SF theads do this to you?

Last edited by sputnikkk; 03-24-2011 at 03:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City