Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region has the overall best beaches?
South Florida 169 64.02%
Southern California 77 29.17%
It's a tie 18 6.82%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:45 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieExtraordinaire View Post
I think it's hard to get your head around. San Diego has the surfer culture so many people assume it's one of the better places for surfing when in reality it's probably weakest in southern California. Most people don't mention surfing in central/northern California, which is arguably the best if you can put up with cold water.

San Diego County is one of the best areas for suring in Southern California.

Top 10 lists are somewhat subjective but I think it is no accident that San Diego County scored 4 of the 10 spots for the best surf spots in Southern California.

The Surfing Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 12:30 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,859 times
Quote:
Well, what does one of the best mean when there are only 4 coastal counties in southern California?
Are you sure you lived in San Diego? There are five coastal counties in So.Calif. at least as far as surfing (and that list) is concerned. Santa Barbara County has about 100 miles of coastline followed by LA County (approx. 75 miles). San Diego is third with about 70 miles.

Quote:

That being said, Scripps and Blacks are basically the same thing. Blacks is a bit secluded and tough to get to (you need to walk down a windy road, or hike through the canyon) but otherwise it's right next to scripps. Scripps itself is not a good surfing place, unless you're a beginner. The serious surfers go to blacks while the beginners and intermediates leisurely surf around the pier.

As to "trestles" it straddles orange county, in fact there is a great break north of the point. This is a technical San Diego county only as the surfers who use it are from San Clemente. This might as well be the OC.
I figured you'd say that about Scripps/Blacks. That is why I only said there were 4 spots in San Diego County that made the list. But if you count the entire list, SD County netted 5 of the 10 spots (Blacks, Scripps, D Street, Trestles, and Swammis). Not bad for a county that only covers about one-fifth of the So.Calif. coast. San Diego County is at or near the top when it comes to surfing in So.Calif.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:20 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,205,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I was born and raised in SoCal and the beaches look nice for the hills and vegetation right behind them. However, the sand is kind of nasty. The amount of development near them is often excessive. The water is cold, even in the summer, even though your body gets used to it. The surf doesn't make for good swimming. It's because of a current which comes down from Alaska.

I found Florida in the 1980s. First Miami Beach. I couldn't believe how warm the water was and how great the sand was. As I looked out the plane window, I saw all that turquoise water thinking "This can't be real." Then, I thought "I want to live here." That never came to be. I then found Pensacola by complete mistake when driving across the US and needed a place to sleep. The Panhandle beaches are about 10 miles from town, and its "hotel strip." I instantly thought "WTF, we have beaches like THIS in the lower 48?" I stayed 3 days.

Not so much South Florida, but the Floridian Panhandle beaches trump all other beaches in the continental 48.
I think it is strange to talk about development in SoCal's beaches, when you have seen South Florida on the beach. Nothing but highrises there! I also disagree that the panhandle beaches are better. The water is far warmer in SoFla, and there is more of a Caribbean feeling on those beaches. Panhandle beaches are nice, but no comparison to SoFla or even SoCal.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:00 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,193 times
I prefer florida beaches espescially the water down in South Florida and Key west

Old 12-20-2012, 04:32 PM

4 posts, read 8,046 times
Reading these posts kinda makes me laugh. If you are from California you are going to vote for your beach. Same with Floridians and theirs.. When I think of all the fun times I have enjoyed going to the beach, its been in many different states including Florida, California, New Jersey, New Hampshire, North Carolina, etc. I actually live in Florida now and go to the beach often. The only difference between the beach here and the beaches elsewhere is that you can enjoy it here all year long. Yes, the water is a pretty tropical color here, and the sand is white on the gulf side. It makes a pretty postcard. But, does that make the beach better? I will take the company of good friends and family at an Alaska beach over any of them because that's what lifes all about.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:52 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Southern California.

I don't get inside the water from the start so water temperatures are moot for me. I actually hate beach culture to a T, they attract the opposite sort of people that I'm used to spending time with. To leave it politely- I wouldn't want to be anywhere near them frankly.

I say Southern California because it's more than just a beach. You have piers, you have the opportunity of taking a fold up chair, resting it in the sand & staring at the evening skies full of stars while the sun fades away and a nice chilly wind from above the coast waters- looking at the majestic mountains come crashing alongside the coastline, the sparkling lights of a city that's so massive & so alive.

I like Miami more as a place than Los Angeles (and prefer San Diego over both) but beach culture is hardly a reason for that. Los Angeles is the greatest "jack of all trades" place for coast enthusiasts in continental America (the lower 48) with San Diego not far behind in my personal opinion.

For someone like me, in this regard as the question seeks- you cant beat Southern California- you can only hope to.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 12-20-2012 at 05:03 PM..

Old 12-20-2012, 08:23 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Yeah if you just want to lay in the sun. Florida is where its at. But if you want sailing and surfing and watersports in general California is the place to be.
Not sure about that, Florida has more registered boats than any other state. Jet ski's are big also. For surfing yes... but water stuff in general? I'd say no way.

The beaches from Pensacola to Cape San Blas and St. George Island are nicer than both though. You get the crystal clear emerald green water plus the powdery white sand. Though not going to be great for other things, more of a quite beach vacation. There are some other nicer beaches in FL St. Pete-Venice... nicest 2 stretches of beaches in FL IMHO if you are going just for the beach. So Fla/SoCal both way better for cultural stuff/nightlife on the beach and people watching.

Last edited by grapico; 12-20-2012 at 08:33 PM..

Old 12-20-2012, 10:38 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Some of the Southwest Florida beaches kinda look like they could pass for CA beaches. Venice FL(SW Florida) is one of them.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:18 AM

654 posts, read 1,909,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
South Beach has topless models. That pretty much settles it in my opinion.
If true, that settles it for me too. I don't wanna see that.

CALIFORNIA!

Old 12-21-2012, 09:23 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,326 times
I think California beaches are more beautiful, but I think Florida beaches are more enjoyable and my style. If I got to the beach I want it to be hot, the water pleasant. That is where California loses in my book. When I went to San Diego I ran into the water thinking it was going to be not as warm as Miami but somewhat. Wow, I ran right out and this was in August!!!!!

The water in that beach was just as cold as Lake Michigan in August. What a dissapointment. I am very much beach and watersports person, so yeah Ithink Florida beaches are just more my style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City