Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region has the overall best beaches?
South Florida 169 64.02%
Southern California 77 29.17%
It's a tie 18 6.82%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 06:49 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Either way that's a pretty high dewpoint for 100 degree weather for SoCal, I personally don't think that would be any better because that's certainly not a "dry heat" really.

Of course not but on the opposite end of things you can't really fault those that find SoCal water temps too cold I suppose then right?
But the average summer temperature in SoCal (the LA basin/beaches/mountains/coastal valleys) is not 100 degrees. Compare to Florida, where the average summer temp is in the mid-to-upper 80s with 70-90% humidity.

Yes, many do find the water temperature too cold. It's too cold for me when it's below 67 degrees... my feet hurt under that temperature. 67 degrees and higher I get used to. So take your choice: warm water but high humidity or cool water but low-to-moderate humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 07:27 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
But the average summer temperature in SoCal (the LA basin/beaches/mountains/coastal valleys) is not 100 degrees. Compare to Florida, where the average summer temp is in the mid-to-upper 80s with 70-90% humidity.

Yes, many do find the water temperature too cold. It's too cold for me when it's below 67 degrees... my feet hurt under that temperature. 67 degrees and higher I get used to. So take your choice: warm water but high humidity or cool water but low-to-moderate humidity.

The cool water is what allows the cool dry climate. Its a great trade off. I very much like Miami in the winter, but in summer not so much. Theres a reason why their NBA team is called the Miami Heat.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:56 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,114 times
Quote:

San Fernando valley average high for august is 97, I guess we can round it, IE averages 98 also, San Gabriel valley isn't far behind. Inland LA basin averages low 90s, and the coast 70s and 80s. And dew points normally are in mid 60s, so I don't get all your complaining about Sofla weather, I understand it but not as bad as you make it seem.

I'll take both combos

Old 03-18-2014, 10:46 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
San Fernando valley average high for august is 97, I guess we can round it, IE averages 98 also, San Gabriel valley isn't far behind. Inland LA basin averages low 90s, and the coast 70s and 80s. And dew points normally are in mid 60s, so I don't get all your complaining about Sofla weather, I understand it but not as bad as you make it seem.

I'll take both combos
You don't understand it? I think many people do... the summer weather at southern Florida can be and is very uncomfortable. On this forum alone, there have been numerous people who have said that they have taken vacations in the summer months at both Florida and California and they said California was much more comfortable and tolerable.

The average July maximum temp at Los Angeles is a comfortable 85 degrees; it's rare when the humidity is high because summer rain is rare as well. Yes, the dew points are normally in the mid-60s and that is the point... it is much higher in southern Florida... low-70s to 80 degrees, which is very humid.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
You don't understand it? I think many people do... the summer weather at southern Florida can be and is very uncomfortable. On this forum alone, there have been numerous people who have said that they have taken vacations in the summer months at both Florida and California and they said California was much more comfortable and tolerable.

The average July maximum temp at Los Angeles is a comfortable 85 degrees; it's rare when the humidity is high because summer rain is rare as well. Yes, the dew points are normally in the mid-60s and that is the point... it is much higher in southern Florida... low-70s to 80 degrees, which is very humid.
That's not a big secret either. Search for climate thread/polls between California is and Florida, California wins them everytime...

Old 03-19-2014, 12:32 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
If the south in general is known for having uncomfortable summer weather (due to the high humidity), then that certainly includes Florida. Even the inland areas.

For example, Orlando, which is not on the coast and not even in southern Florida.

Here is a typical summer day:

Temperature..... 88 degrees
Humidity.......... 70%
Dew point........ 77 degrees

Now Santa Moncia, CA:

Temperature.... 72 degrees
Humidity.......... 50%
Dew point........ 52 degrees

A dew point above 65 degrees is considered uncomfortable, and many parts of Florida routinely have dew points of 70-80 degrees.

Living in the San Fernando Valley, I have experienced 100+ degrees temperatures. On those days, the humidity is usually only about 30%, which would put the dew point at 64 degrees. A person won't sweat like he does in the Florida summer climate out here unless he is exercising hard. In the Florida climate, all you have to do is walk outside to start sweating a lot! (Or even inside a building with no A/C.)
72 degrees air temps sound good when walking/shopping/clubbing, but when you're jumping into beach water that has temps in the low-70's/high-60's? Doesn't seem much more comfortable than Florida beaches. Seems like it would be a little chilly. I'd definitely hit up Venice, or Santa Monica, and walk along the boardwalk or go to that Pacific theme-park. But 72 degrees air temps in high-60's water would seem a little too chilly to actually take a dip in the ocean. I'd do it anyway, but I don't see how that's much more comfortable than South Florida beaches.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:46 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
That's not a big secret either. Search for climate thread/polls between California is and Florida, California wins them everytime...
To be fair, most of those Florida vs California weather polls are about general weather between the 2 states. CA is way bigger, and has many more micro climates to choose from. The CA vs FL threads are usually about the totality of both states, so that includes the hot inland areas of Florida. So of course CA's going to win. But this thread specifically about beach weather between the 2 states. And South Florida's beach weather is bearable year-round. Florida's winning this one for a reason, especially when you consider how much CA trumps Florida(or any state trumps Florida) in these Polls. When ever South Florida wins a poll, it's for a reason.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
To be fair, most of those Florida vs California weather polls are about general weather between the 2 states. CA is way bigger, and has many more micro climates to choose from. The CA vs FL threads are usually about the totality of both states, so that includes the hot inland areas of Florida. So of course CA's going to win. But this thread specifically about beach weather between the 2 states. And South Florida's beach weather is bearable year-round. Florida's winning this one for a reason, especially when you consider how much CA trumps Florida(or any state trumps Florida) in these Polls. When ever South Florida wins a poll, it's for a reason.

Its not winning on weather. There are a couple polls on SoCal v SoFla weather and its not close.
Florida, does usually win beach polls for the US, except maybe vs Hawaii. Its generally because of warmer water/whiter sand. Where Hawaii has it all the stunning scenery, warmer water, a variety of sand etc...almost a combination of the highlights of SoFla and SoCal.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:01 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
72 degrees air temps sound good when walking/shopping/clubbing, but when you're jumping into beach water that has temps in the low-70's/high-60's? Doesn't seem much more comfortable than Florida beaches. Seems like it would be a little chilly. I'd definitely hit up Venice, or Santa Monica, and walk along the boardwalk or go to that Pacific theme-park. But 72 degrees air temps in high-60's water would seem a little too chilly to actually take a dip in the ocean. I'd do it anyway, but I don't see how that's much more comfortable than South Florida beaches.
72 is too low, not even san diego is that cool in summer, more like mid to upper 70s for SaMo pier

Old 03-19-2014, 05:09 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
There are some days where it can be 72 during summer in San Diego, it's not that uncommon.

Every climate averages I've seen for Santa Monica shows it with only having an average high around 71 during its warmest months, which actually surprises me. Perhaps the measurements are taken out on the pier over open ocean?

72 isn't that bad as long as it's not too windy or breezy. I've swam in the ocean when it's only been 72 in the air plenty of times, it always feels warmer on the sand too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City