Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region has the overall best beaches?
South Florida 169 64.02%
Southern California 77 29.17%
It's a tie 18 6.82%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 02:22 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Not an issue? Same could be said about warm water at South Florida beaches in the summer.

Maybe so, I know it wouldnt stop me. I do know that laying on the beach in California in summer is more comfortable than in SoFlorida in summer. The rest of the year, you are right on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 03:43 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,085 times
South Florida for sure has better beaches, they are warm and crystal clear.

Southern California beaches are freezing and you need a wet suit.

Both are nice places though, Southern California has great surrounding scenary.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:40 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The point I was making is that you can't cool off at one of Florida's beaches when the air temperature is 85 degrees, the humidity is 85% and the water temperature is 80-85 degrees.
Ewwww,that's why I detest 'slimeball' feeling humidity! :[

Old 04-03-2014, 10:58 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Ewwww,that's why I detest 'slimeball' feeling humidity! :[
Even out here, I know what it's like. A few times a year, there is hot weather and high humidity. Due to the remnants of a hurricane or thunderstorms drifting in from the desert. It is very uncomfortable walking outside and it feels so much better when the dry weather returns. The temperature goes up (from about 85 to 95 degrees), but the lower humidity really makes a difference.

If southern Florida had the same weather but with less humidity, it would be tempting for me to live there. But, then again, I would miss the mountain views out here...

Old 04-04-2014, 02:02 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
Whenever I go to Florida beaches its always cooler, and a great breeze! Freezing November-Febuary.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:54 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
Just wondering why South Florida was chosen to represent Florida beaches. Was it just random?

The beaches in the Florida Panhandle are the finest beaches in Florida, though not too many people outside the region realize it.

The Panhandle (The Emerald Coast) has ultra white sand made of 99% pure quartz that washed down from the Appalachian mountains and the warm water is crystal clear like the Caribbean. Lower population, but lots of restaurants too.

Anyway, if you include the area, California beaches don't stand a chance.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:29 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Just wondering why South Florida was chosen to represent Florida beaches. Was it just random?

The beaches in the Florida Panhandle are the finest beaches in Florida, though not too many people outside the region realize it.

The Panhandle (The Emerald Coast) has ultra white sand made of 99% pure quartz that washed down from the Appalachian mountains and the warm water is crystal clear like the Caribbean. Lower population, but lots of restaurants too.

Not quite. Those beaches on the redneck riviera are pretty and the sand is great, but its not the best in Florida. I think South Fla is better, the water is blue vs green. There is so little wave action on the gulf that the walkable wet sand area is so small that you lose a lot. The heavy salty ocean air isnt as thick. Too many pine trees in that area with flat topography, you dont even know your at the beach until you are right on it. Pluses and minuses, but overall I'd take California beaches over the panhandle.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:52 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post

Is that where they came from? Wow.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:36 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
South Florida for sure has better beaches, they are warm and crystal clear.

Southern California beaches are freezing and you need a wet suit.

Both are nice places though, Southern California has great surrounding scenary.
SoCal beachers aren't freezing. If my 4 year old daughter and countless other children can play in the water without a wet suit, then so can anyone. Seriously, grow some.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:05 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
SoCal beachers aren't freezing. If my 4 year old daughter and countless other children can play in the water without a wet suit, then so can anyone. Seriously, grow some.
Growing up, we reserved a coarse name of a female body part for kids who whined about ocean temps. I thought all those cold winters were supposed to bolster the character, make you tough. You're walking around in the air nearly every second of your life, hardened by the elements, dominating your environment. But apparently all that goes out the window with the slightest contact with water under 65 degrees. It’s like that movie "Signs".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City