Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 02:15 PM

4 posts, read 7,361 times

Advertisements

I'm a 14 year old Laotian seeking for a town/city with atleast a 20% east asian population.
I currently live in New York city and you'd be surprised by the segregation that goes on in this city.
I'm not happy and people usually hang out with their own races in my neighborhood.
Me and 3 other asian guys are the only asians in the whole school, there are NO asian girls.
My school is filled with South Asians, Hispanics, and a few African Americans.
Also my school is one of the worst in my city.
I want to move to be able to have REAL friends, not just friends that say hi to you, to be able to have a BETTER future, a better life instead of being isolated and anti social around non-east asians, the peace of mind without having to think about someone rob you (I was robbed of 2 iphones and almost $100 in a whole year), you know what im getting to...
You see, I'm working about 4 hours everyday to find an east asian neighborhood, town, or city that is affordable but I was very disappointed that ALL places with an east asian majority was expensive!
The cheapest place I could find was Sugarland, Texas which was the richest place in Texas and houses cost an average of a whopping $260,000!
I HAVE to move this year as moving this summer or not will determine the fate of the rest of my life on this planet.
If I stay in this bad neighborhood, I'll have to stay in the same highschool, than i'll have to drop out due to the lack of support from my teachers (My report card grades are on the edge of failing but my test grades are very high), than I might not be able to go to college and might have to apply for a low class job which would shatter my dreams of being a billionaire!
I hope you all understand, does anyone have any suggestions for a town/city/neighborhood that is atleast 20% east asian and is cheap?
I don't care about the crime because everywhere there are east asians, there is a low level of crime.
I don't deserve to live in this ghetto, putting me as an individual in the ghetto is like putting a priest in a brothel, think about my situation like that, and the priest is trying his hardest to get out of that brothel!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 05:42 PM

139 posts, read 207,785 times
Isn't Daly City, CA majority East Asian?

Daly City, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-03-2012, 06:14 PM

But the question now is, is it affordable?

Old 07-03-2012, 07:19 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlepriest View Post

I hope you all understand, does anyone have any suggestions for a town/city/neighborhood that is atleast 20% east asian and is cheap?
Duluth,GA 30096

Click on "students" to see the demographics, 25% Asian.

Student Ratio Duluth High School

Then check out the inexpensive houses:

30096 Single-Family Homes For Sale

Plus if you get a good gpa in high school there is the Hope scholarship.

HOPE Scholarship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-03-2012, 11:53 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlepriest View Post
I'm a 14 year old
Stopped paying attention right there.

14 year old jerks will be 14 year old jerks no matter where you go. You're probably entering HS right now, or if not, you are probably only a Freshman. Which begs me another question: where do you have the money to move anywhere? Or a job? Unless you came into some inheritance, you wouldn't be the one making the decision to move anywhere.

High school is a rough time no matter what race or ethnicity you are. People on this site will probably take the opportunity to boost their city, but the reality is no matter where you go, what you are describing will be found whether you're in NYC, Texas, or Timbuktu.

I spent my Freshman year of HS in NYC (Brooklyn Tech), and I didn't feel like I was left out of anything because I'm Filipino. My friends there included a Cantonese girl who lived in Bensonhurst, a Russian girl who lived in Brighton Beach, an Italian/Puerto Rican dude who liked Counterstrike just as much as me, a socially awkward Moroccan kid, a Dominican/African American dude from Jamaica, Queens, and a litany of other people of whatever ethnicity. Most people there picked on me, if they did, because I'm from California, not because of anything else.

Same story about my grade school life here in LA, and the same in college at Berkeley in the San Francisco Bay Area.

It really is about the attitude you carry. If you carry a poor attitude with you, then you're going to get treated the same wherever you move.

What High School are you going to anyways? If you go to Francis Lewis HS or any of the specialized High Schools in NYC (Bronx Science, Stuyvesant, Brooklyn Tech), they'd be majority East Asian or somewhere close to it. If you want to be around that, consider looking up those schools.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:39 AM

43 posts, read 89,515 times
Well, I'm Russian Estonian, living in the UK. My parents moved here when I was 13. I went to the worst ghetto school in the city, but I had friends from lots of different nations but not a SINGLE Russian, as there were no Russian kids in school. As previous person said, you are 14 and its a tough age. You need to take what you want from life and depend only on yourself, otherwise you will be pushed around. I never knew why does it matter whether your friends are white, black, Asian or whatever, as long as they are nice guys. By segregating yourself, you will only make it worse for yourself when you get older.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Duluth,GA 30096

Click on "students" to see the demographics, 25% Asian.

Student Ratio Duluth High School

Then check out the inexpensive houses:

30096 Single-Family Homes For Sale

Plus if you get a good gpa in high school there is the Hope scholarship.

HOPE Scholarship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This place seems perfect, I never looked into atlanta before!
There are 2 high schools here which are northview hs and duluth hs.
If I ever move to this neighborhood, It would be because of you.
You should be proud that you changed 86 years of my life only by the actions of a paragraph.
These houses are affordable and rising so i'm definately moving this summer.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Stopped paying attention right there.

14 year old jerks will be 14 year old jerks no matter where you go. You're probably entering HS right now, or if not, you are probably only a Freshman. Which begs me another question: where do you have the money to move anywhere? Or a job? Unless you came into some inheritance, you wouldn't be the one making the decision to move anywhere.

High school is a rough time no matter what race or ethnicity you are. People on this site will probably take the opportunity to boost their city, but the reality is no matter where you go, what you are describing will be found whether you're in NYC, Texas, or Timbuktu.

I spent my Freshman year of HS in NYC (Brooklyn Tech), and I didn't feel like I was left out of anything because I'm Filipino. My friends there included a Cantonese girl who lived in Bensonhurst, a Russian girl who lived in Brighton Beach, an Italian/Puerto Rican dude who liked Counterstrike just as much as me, a socially awkward Moroccan kid, a Dominican/African American dude from Jamaica, Queens, and a litany of other people of whatever ethnicity. Most people there picked on me, if they did, because I'm from California, not because of anything else.

Same story about my grade school life here in LA, and the same in college at Berkeley in the San Francisco Bay Area.

It really is about the attitude you carry. If you carry a poor attitude with you, then you're going to get treated the same wherever you move.

What High School are you going to anyways? If you go to Francis Lewis HS or any of the specialized High Schools in NYC (Bronx Science, Stuyvesant, Brooklyn Tech), they'd be majority East Asian or somewhere close to it. If you want to be around that, consider looking up those schools.
It's summer time and I'm about to move soon.
I recently passed freshmen year which was not that bad except for the excessive robbings/locker breakings.
I used to go to richmond hill highschool where me and a few other kids were the only east asians.
There were only south asians and hispanics in the whole school and I felt left out because of it.
The school is already shut down and renamed the 21st century school of richmond hill.
Yeah I have alot of friends in the school but I don't talk or hang out with any of them.
Alot of people know my name, both spanish and guyanese girls find me attractive, random people usually say hi to me everyday, the school staff knows me including the principal, and I've got better swag than most of the people in the school which means I wear really good clothes (Air jordans retro 4s mars,$80 sweater,etc).
I kinda represent east asians in a very good way lol.
It's just that it's harder to talk to and hang out with non east asians.
It's not that they are racist or anything but we don't hang out with each other easily.
I've never seen a guyanese and spanish person hang out with each other, not even as gf and bf.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:18 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
While it isn't 20% East Asian, Ithaca NY is about 17-18% Asian. Asian students make up 13% of Ithaca City Schools, with some elementary schools having percentages in the 20-40% range.

It is a very diverse district ethnically, racially, economically and even in terms of settings, as kids come from urban, suburban and rural settings.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:23 PM

159 posts, read 491,325 times
I can kinda relate to you. I'm half-Chinese half-Caucasian, and I live in NorCal. While many people might think of the SF Bay Area as a place with a lot of Asians (which is definitely true), I live an hour north of SF in a fairly decent-sized city. Tons of Hispanics, but not THAT many Asians, like in 2010 it was 6% or something like that. There's some Chinese, and a somewhat large Laotian community in one neighborhood in my city, and some Cambodians here and there, but when I was in school I just felt kinda like an outsider because there weren't many Asians and I was teased for that kinda thing (ironically the principal was an Asian woman lol). However, most people really just joke around but still it feels awkward to be around a lot of non-Asians when you're an Asian/white kid.

However, I wouldn't really recommend living in California cuz it's fairly expensive now, and while the weather is nice for the most part, with some nice scenery, there's a lot of problems with this place, and there is just as much, if not more, racism here than where you live probably. I'd recommend Georgia, as was stated, in the Atlanta area where there's a lot of various types of Asians. It has a growing economy as well, mainly in high tech and other fields as well. The DC area in Virginia and Maryland has a lot of Koreans, Vietnamese, Chinese, and probably a few Laotians too, but it's a fairly wealthy area for the most part, unless you want to live in a housing project or low income apartment or something. However, in my opinion, it's not a horrible idea as long as you examine the area enough. Not to mention it's closer to New York!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City