Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ..
Atlanta 73 51.41%
Denver 69 48.59%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 02:39 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,424,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I agree with you! But...People complain about "Brown Denver" because they don't have all seasons for there city to be "brown as well"

Oh yeah? I didn't realize that? Are they Southern Cali transplants that complain? I've seen on the Denver forum a good bit of complaining about the L.A. and other California transplants.

Here in Atlanta we get complaints both way. People moving up from Florida or New Orleans transplants complain about the cold. Some people from the North complain that we don't have all four seasons because our winters aren't cold enough to them. Most everyone (even the natives) complain about the heat and humidity in July and August.

Here's a kinda funny one. This is a California transplant who has a youtube blog complaining about our winter this year in Atlanta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzKx8AnhcNg

Last edited by Galounger; 03-26-2011 at 02:58 PM..

Old 03-26-2011, 02:43 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,954,143 times
Atlanta for everything except scenery and downtown area.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:19 PM

10,734 posts, read 23,728,028 times
One thing that always bugged me is how a spread out city like Atlanta got such a decent heavy rail mass transit system. Seems so much more condusive to places like Seattle, Minneapolis, or Denver that have more cohesive neighborhoods and walkable areas rather than a light rail which IMO is just a glorified streetcar. However with 5.5 million in the metro MARTA is definitely needed. I do see Atlanta getter better in the future with a more cohesive environment as they seem to have ambitions plans to do so with the Peachtree streetcar, provided the funding is still there.

Denver and Atlanta are both beautiful cities. Atlanta has a gorgeous panoramic skyline, and the city has so many trees it feels like an urban forest, something unique to Atlanta. Denver's skyline leaves something to be desired but it definitely has a better downtown than Atlanta, and I would never get tired of having the Front Range of the Rockies in my backyard. Scenery, food, & culture are all subjective to personal preferences, one thing that stands out though is Denver has much less riff raff than Atlanta

Old 03-26-2011, 03:56 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,060,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
One thing that always bugged me is how a spread out city like Atlanta got such a decent heavy rail mass transit system. Seems so much more condusive to places like Seattle, Minneapolis, or Denver that have more cohesive neighborhoods and walkable areas rather than a light rail which IMO is just a glorified streetcar. However with 5.5 million in the metro MARTA is definitely needed. I do see Atlanta getter better in the future with a more cohesive environment as they seem to have ambitions plans to do so with the Peachtree streetcar, provided the funding is still there.

Denver and Atlanta are both beautiful cities. Atlanta has a gorgeous panoramic skyline, and the city has so many trees it feels like an urban forest, something unique to Atlanta. Denver's skyline leaves something to be desired but it definitely has a better downtown than Atlanta, and I would never get tired of having the Front Range of the Rockies in my backyard. Scenery, food, & culture are all subjective to personal preferences, one thing that stands out though is Denver has much less riff raff than Atlanta
I think when MARTA was built (back in the 70's), Atlanta wasn't nearly as spread out as it is today. Marta pretty much went out to the boonies, then it was expanded and overhauled for the Olympics.

Nowadays Atlanta is starting construction on the streetcar later this year (I believe) and the Beltline is still under construction and will be for a while longer. The Beltline will feature a LRT line going around the inner city area in a circular fashion.

Please refer to this map of what is called "Concept 3". This is the ultimate goal for transit in Atlanta and would provide pretty good coverage. This includes multiple forms of transit all rolled into one map but take it with a grain of salt. It will be 30 years before something like this is completed... If ever.

Last edited by Adric; 03-26-2011 at 04:05 PM..

Old 03-26-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post

That subway is pretty heavily used contrary to popular belief however. Not as heavily used as East Coast subways but way more so than light rail in cities in other parts of the U.S. outside the coast.

On these videos you can see pretty good use especially on New Years day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocTfocvHEgU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jglto...eature=related

Old 03-27-2011, 03:00 PM

Sorry Mezter. I think your thread's going to have an early death. I've seen this happen to a couple other Denver vs. Atlanta threads. Denver posters really don't participate in City vs. City much at all. In fact in City Data much. Type in Atlanta vs. just about any other major city and you would have atleast 10 pages of comments by now .

Last edited by Galounger; 03-27-2011 at 03:11 PM..

Old 03-27-2011, 03:08 PM

785 posts, read 1,877,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Sorry Mezter. I think your thread's going to have an early death. I've seen this happen to a couple other Denver vs. Atlanta threads. Denver posters really don't participate in City vs. City much at all. In fact in City Data much. Type in Atlanta vs. just about any other major city and you would have 10 pages of comments by now .
Well it's fairly even in terms of votes.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:16 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,060,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
Well it's fairly even in terms of votes.
I hate to say it, but the majority of the Denver votes probably came from people who just hate Atlanta so they voted for Denver without knowing much about it.

I could be wrong but considering how many Denver posters have come in here (few) and how often Atlanta gets bashed in City vs City (lots), it makes sense.

On the flip side, a lot of Atlanta votes probably came from people who just vote for Atlanta no matter what.

Atlanta is a hot button topic in this room. lol

Old 03-27-2011, 03:35 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,666,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I hate to say it, but the majority of the Denver votes probably came from people who just hate Atlanta so they voted for Denver without knowing much about it.

I could be wrong but considering how many Denver posters have come in here (few) and how often Atlanta gets bashed in City vs City (lots), it makes sense.

On the flip side, a lot of Atlanta votes probably came from people who just vote for Atlanta no matter what.

Atlanta is a hot button topic in this room. lol
I somewhat agree with this. But Denver actually gets bashed alot on the threads as well, so i think its pretty fair.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:03 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,445,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post

Denver wins the scenery battle by about a gazillion miles. It's a rout ... like the U.S. going to war against Liechtenstein.
not in the actual city... 100 mile radius? yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.