Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 11:28 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,520 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the suburbs(Willow Grove, PA) and whenever I tell this to uneducated impoverished city residents, I get looks of disdain, snide comments, and all around hate. I never understood what makes them so insecure, it's not my fault they make bad choices that keep them locked in a cycle of poverty. I can't apologize for being educated. I make money and they make problems, and they wonder why people like me stay in our bubble and act as if outsiders are invisible. They call us boojy. It's the same reason Kobe Bryant gets so much hate in Philly, because he grew up in Lower Merion(The Mainline). The burbs today are producing way more talent than the inner-city slums, which pretty much just produce second rate rappers. So why all the hate from those at the bottom. What they don't seem to understand is that the world doesn't owe them anything, and would be much more willing to help them out if they humbled themselves. In the case of Philly, Detroit, Chicago, and some other cities, it's the burbs that keep them afloat rather than the other way around, because it's the burbs that are producing the masses of relatively educated globally competitive workers, not the abysmal city schools. The burbs are creating the talent of the future, is that why they get so much hate in some regions? Anyway wich suburban areas around your city get the most hate, and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 12:53 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Harvey, IL( Where I live and my hometown)

City of 25,282(2010). Its impoverished, once had a 22% unemployment rate 3 years ago. Its was branded the murder capital of the southland back in 07(45.6 per 100k). I had a strange dream(more like a nightmare) last night that they built a stream of row homes and mid-rise style projects by my house. I don't even like living in here and the day I figured I saved enough money is the day I will be outta here.

But I wouldn't say its just my suburb that gets the majority of the hate, but the majority of the south suburban region get bashed on the Chicago forum and a few near west suburbs too that are on the sketchy to bad side. Suburban Chicago has 6 million people, so its kind of relative.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:00 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
I think it would have to be Baytown/ La Porte area because of the factories

Old 03-07-2011, 07:15 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,819 times
Well I think Orange County (though has very large cities, Anaheim, Santa Ana, and Irvine) is still just suburban Los Angeles. And I will tell you that Los Angeles County people HATE Orange County people.

But the feeling is mutual.

So not just one suburb, but the entire thing. Other than that, there is no phyisical difference between urban LA and suburban LA.

Btw, I'm an LA County person

Old 03-07-2011, 07:42 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Hmmm...I'm not sure if there is a scientific way of determining the "most hated" without taking a formal poll...but I would guess that the more affluent suburbs and nicer areas are more envied (hate is a strong word) or judged unfairly due to their wealth.

Belle Meade and Brentwood, TN would fall into that category.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:45 PM

On another level, La Vergne seems to get a lot of negative reactions for the opposite reason. It has more run down areas, less nightlife, and a lot of warehouses (though not all of the city is that bad). The Antioch and Madison areas of Nashville (not suburbs, as they are officially part of the city...but suburb-like in development) are frowned upon and labeled by a lot of locals.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:56 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
hmm, maybe Millington, my hometown, because it's not like the rest of the suburbs. It's more working-class with subpar schools, it's very disconnected from the rest of the suburbs because it's surrounded by rural areas. The rest of the suburbs pretty much run into each other. The wealthiest suburbs, Germantown & Collierville aren't really hated on much.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
hmm, maybe Millington, my hometown, because it's not like the rest of the suburbs. It's more working-class with subpar schools, it's very disconnected from the rest of the suburbs because it's surrounded by rural areas. The rest of the suburbs pretty much run into each other. The wealthiest suburbs, Germantown & Collierville aren't really hated on much.
The reason why I included the wealthy suburbs here is because some kind of hate on the rich at times...but in general, they are very desirable places to live.

I guess the average person doesn't really hate on the rich suburbs too much.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:09 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Two different sides of the spectrum:

Edina/Lakeville: old money and new money, respectively. Snobby, rich, "Cake-eater" from Mighty Ducks is for Edina. A.k.a. "Every Day I Need Attention"

Brooklyn Center/Brooklyn Park: "ghetto", one of the few majority/minority suburbs in the Twin Cities. A lot of blacks and Hmong, some gangs, some crime, but the black sheep of the area for sure whether it deserves it or not.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:11 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Harvey, IL( Where I live and my hometown)

City of 25,282(2010). Its impoverished, once had a 22% unemployment rate 3 years ago. Its was branded the murder capital of the southland back in 07(45.6 per 100k). I had a strange dream(more like a nightmare) last night that they built a stream of row homes and mid-rise style projects by my house. I don't even like living in here and the day I figured I saved enough money is the day I will be outta here.

But I wouldn't say its just my suburb that gets the majority of the hate, but the majority of the south suburban region get bashed on the Chicago forum and a few near west suburbs too that are on the sketchy to bad side. Suburban Chicago has 6 million people, so its kind of relative.
I hear a lot of flack about Schaumburg more than just about any other suburb, including the "ghetto" ones on the South and West sides like Harvey or Maywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City