Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which comes on top?
Washington 59 53.15%
San Francisco 52 46.85%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2011, 11:42 AM

205 posts, read 298,753 times

Advertisements

Some residents in both areas like to claim #2, (or #3 after LA for the less delusional) but overall, which is the more important city on a national and global scale?

Which is a better area to live? (entertainment, jobs, lifestyle, location, etc.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 01:04 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,638 times
I live next to DC and have only visited SF once. Having said that, I would prefer SF despite some of the negative things I've heard about it. My experience with SF was nothing short of fantastic, and I prefer the geography of SF over DC. But DC is an awesome city too, but it needs some skyscrapers!

Old 03-26-2011, 01:25 PM

38 posts, read 96,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
But DC is an awesome city too, but it needs some skyscrapers!
D.C. is already struggling to support its city proper population with the infrastructure it currently has. Building taller will only make things worse. However I do agree that we need taller buildings

Old 03-26-2011, 01:38 PM

323 posts, read 529,106 times
DC for the entertainment, jobs, politics, etc - BUT - SF for the lifestyle & location plus you also get entertainment

Old 03-26-2011, 01:45 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
SF city and DC city are about equal but the Bay Area > the DC Metro for me so I'd take the bay. If we're including Baltimore in this I'd still take Oakland over Baltimore so... yeah.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:54 PM

I don't see how either area is superior over the other. Gov't aside both are equal. Include the Gov't and the D.C. area wins this flatout because nothing in SF, let alone California has as much influence as the decisions made in the US Capitol, White House, Supreme Court and, the Pentagon.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:04 PM

90 posts, read 208,134 times
Another DC vs SF poll?! Several have already been done.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:05 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCpictures View Post
I don't see how either area is superior over the other. Gov't aside both are equal. Include the Gov't and the D.C. area wins this flatout because nothing in SF, let alone California has as much influence as the decisions made in the US Capitol, White House, Supreme Court and, the Pentagon.

This is the logic people use when they realize that their area doesn't have enough going for it to win

outside of the white house area and the museums, do tourists come to DC to observe its "influence" or do they come for the city? You tell me. The only city that can make a claim for "influence" being the deciding factor for people wanting to tour it is NYC. I don't think the average madrileno is going to tell you that they're so much more important than Barcelona because they're the capital

One could just as easily argue that Philadelphia and Boston's impact on politics is far greater than DC's... the Capital of the USA could literally switch cities at any point in time. if I were a DC'er I'd focus on the aspects of the city that aren't as transient like, say... the city itself.

The Bay Area is the tech capital of America but that's not why people want to see San Francisco... its because its a beautiful/amazing city. DC can say the same so why would politics be your main argument?

Old 03-26-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
This is the logic people use when they realize that their area doesn't have enough going for it to win

outside of the white house area and the museums, do tourists come to DC to observe its "influence" or do they come for the city? You tell me. The only city that can make a claim for "influence" being the deciding factor for people wanting to tour it is NYC. I don't think the average madrileno is going to tell you that they're so much more important than Barcelona because they're the capital

One could just as easily argue that Philadelphia and Boston's impact on politics is far greater than DC's... the Capital of the USA could literally switch cities at any point in time. if I were a DC'er I'd focus on the aspects of the city that aren't as transient like, say... the city itself.

The Bay Area is the tech capital of America but that's not why people want to see San Francisco... its because its a beautiful/amazing city. DC can say the same so why would politics be your main argument?
People do visit D.C. besides the Smithsonian you know lol
I've sen tourists in our neighborhoods observing how the city actually is and most of them are pretty impressed. Why? Because the media made it so that most people think D.C. is all monuments and etc. I'm pretty sure if Georgetown, U street, Capitol Hill, Mt. Pleasant and Dupont Circle was featured in more movies people would think of DC differently. D.C, is very underrepresented in the media so therefore when people think of D.C. they only think of "Washington", and not "D.C."

Take away the golden gate bridge and cable cars and San Francisco would be in the same boat as D.C.

Its proven media affects tourism.

Last edited by DCpictures; 03-26-2011 at 03:11 PM..

Old 03-26-2011, 02:47 PM

I can't stand San Francisco though, too many smug people and no I'm not saying that because of that south park episode, but its true.

D.C. comes out on top above SF, Boston, Philly and pretty much any city in the USA except NYC, LA, and Chicago.

All other cities aren't on our level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City