Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 06:10 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
You're probably not going to get anything objective from SPDMiami anytime soon, so I wouldn't waste your breath (or typing).
That's the Truth. If he can insult another city and a poster... he sure will. Like the " muddy lakes" in Minnesota comment

But Midwestern cities might not be able to compare in cities for Natural Mountain and ocean Vistas over the Bay. Like in Seattle and San Francisco. Miami great too. Enjoy the beaches there.

But CHICAGO. May not have these natural elevated Vistas. But it still has a AWESOME URBAN LAKEFRONT AND BLUE/GREEN WATERS OF LAKE MICHIGAN. For a few months of the year. You can enjoy its Beaches, Harbors and Parks. .

Those living in SKYSCAPER CONDO'S AND APARTMENTS. Surly have GREAT VISTA VIEWS......

Found these NICE VIDEO OF A JET LANDING AT O'HARE. MOST EASTERN/SOUTHEAST FLIGHTS GO UP THE SHORE LOOKING OVER ITS AWESOME DOWNTOWN and up its North Shore.

TURNING INLND WHERE YOU CAN SEE Wrigley Field ballpark below. The Camera here DOES GIVE A SHORT SHOT OF WRIGLEY HERE .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wWxHPOlERI.
YOU CAN GO TO HD QUALITY CLICKING ON THIS SIGHT AND FULL SCREEN. SPEED IT UP EVEN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 12:25 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Let's talk metropolitan areas, Miami city limits are frighteningly small (35q miles, compare to Minneapolis who is close to 60sq miles despite Miami anchoring a metro twice as large). In that sense, you have two national parks in the borders of Miami and countless state parks. For Minneapolis, you have no national parks, and countless state parks.

As for the Everglades being a part of daily activities, I simply don't know. That's for inland people to chime in about. I can tell you on my drives down 905A, the contact points between Miami Metro and the Glades is not some bog brush but beautiful scenic wilderness, probably similar to your "northern boundary waters" but with a more tropical flair. Visible right from the road, I see people fishing there all the time.

I can tell you though for us people who live on the islands (in my case Miami Beach), boating, scuba diving, fishing are everyday activities. In fact, many condos here allow for you to dock your boat right inside your building, like a car garage. This is how much boating culture plays here. So Biscayne national park is an everyday thing, or at least a weekly thing. The beach for me is an everyday thing, I see it from my balcony.
Correct, Minneapolis has no national parks nearby until Voyageurs. However, the Mississippi River in the metro and through the cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul is the Mississippi National River and Recreation Area. Contained within the city of Minneapolis itself is the Grand Rounds National Scenic Byway, made up of Minneapolis parkland connecting Lake Harriet, Lake Calhoun, Lake of the Isles, Cedar Lake, Brownie Lake, Wirth Lake, Lake Nokomis, Lake Hiawatha, the Mississippi River Valley and downtown waterfront, St. Anthony Falls, Minnehaha Falls, Theodore Wirth Park, and Victory Memorial Parkway. The eastern metro area is bounded by the St. Croix River, which makes up the Saint Croix National Scenic Riverway. The Minnesota River Valley through the southern metro is part of the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge. And this isn't to mention, like you said, the countless state parks that are within the metro and surround it. And, though there are no national parks in the metro, there are 4 nationally protected park areas, covering all three rivers in the metro and the chain of lakes and waterfalls in Minneapolis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missis...ecreation_Area
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Rounds_Scenic_Byway
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_...cenic_Riverway
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnes...ildlife_Refuge

Old 08-12-2015, 04:27 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,758 times
Jesus what is with everyone's boner for green and "lush" on this forum.

The beauty of this earth is not limited to its green areas. Please look into expanding your horizons.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:04 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Jesus what is with everyone's boner for green and "lush" on this forum.

The beauty of this earth is not limited to its green areas. Please look into expanding your horizons.
Who ever explicitly said that? You may want to consider reading the progression of posts before taking things out of context.

Do you have something to contribute to this thread? Why don't you show us some examples of stunning natural scenery (i.e., not manmade) within city limits of our nation's barren desert cities?

Old 08-12-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
:|

First of all...Miami is absolutely, 100% positively NOT more green than Minneapolis. No. That is a ridiculous, completely false statement and you know that. Yes, it may be green there year-round, but it doesn't have the same thick tree canopy you see in the Twin Cities. Did you ever leave the confines of whatever cave you lived in while you were here? Ever see Minnehaha Falls? The Grand Rounds/Chain of Lakes? The riverfront? Nothing in Miami compares. How you can claim something so preposterous is bewildering.

Second of all...Miami ain't no fashion model. Sure, there's a small sliver of the city that houses its wealthy and Arab billionaires' motorcycles in a wall of waterfront high rises. From what I saw of the rest of it, it looked like a run-down slum filled with ramshackle houses on slab foundations with bars on the doors and windows. Very, very glamorous.
Yes and Miami guy.... SDPMiami should realize Minneapolis is considered one of our TOP forested cities in the Nation.
10 Best Cities for Urban Forests: Minneapolis - American ForestsAmerican Forests

Old 08-12-2015, 06:44 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,038 times
The prevalence of trees does not necessarily mean that the greenery is greener or more lush. IIRC, SDP is talking about the greenery AROUND Miami, not within it. And as green as it can get in the upper midwest, it's a different kind of green- and only in some spots is it "lush".

Old 08-12-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
The prevalence of trees does not necessarily mean that the greenery is greener or more lush. IIRC, SDP is talking about the greenery AROUND Miami, not within it. And as green as it can get in the upper midwest, it's a different kind of green- and only in some spots is it "lush".
Just when you know there is more green in Minneapolis then forest. But I thought adding that fact would help. YOU HAVE SOMEONE CLAIM IT DON'T COUNT.... I mean really...

Maybe this will convince Miami claimers? ParkScore 2015

Minneapolis came in #1 in the US. It has 8 criteria it used and List 75 American cities. MIAMI COULDN'T EVEN MAKE THAT LIST. No offense but the MUDDY WATERS COMMENT FROM SPDMiami and now this one from you deserved more convincing for Minneapolis.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:30 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Seattle by far.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:33 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Meanwhile, this is how Minneapolis looks right in the city:

http://www.stthomas.edu/media/opusco...ses-aerial.jpg

A dense canopy that completely obscures the street grid underneath it. There's just more biomass to the tree cover in the Twin Cities, and more shrubby undergrowth and short trees interspersed with planted palms in Miami.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:44 PM

Though I would definitely defend Minneapolis for it being a green city.

My favorite Big city CHICAGO is no slouch. Its neighborhoods all have Huge trees and green frontage and/or front lawns.

I gave plenty of streetview360°s in other threads. But I never tire of posting a photo. This one shows how the green tree tops are over even homes Al the way to downtown.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City