Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which comes on top?
Washington 59 53.15%
San Francisco 52 46.85%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 05:30 PM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

This is a matter of preference, obviously. For the kinds of things I like, Washington DC is the better city - historic sites, iconic building architecture, museums, public transit, east coast location, etc.

However, San Francisco has more density, has a better skyline, great natural scenery, more pleasant weather year-round and is located in California. So, for someone who likes those qualities, San Francisco is the better city.

Other than that, the two areas are very nearly equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 05:48 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This is a matter of preference, obviously. For the kinds of things I like, Washington DC is the better city - historic sites, iconic building architecture, museums, public transit, east coast location, etc.

However, San Francisco has more density, has a better skyline, great natural scenery, more pleasant weather year-round and is located in California. So, for someone who likes those qualities, San Francisco is the better city.

Other than that, the two areas are very nearly equal.
I could agree with some of that, but some DC residents/natives boost so much it's crazy (SF also has its share lol). I too would choose DC BECAUSE it's on the east cost (>>> West coast). But I still wouldn't want to live their. If I had to pick one city, of the two, to visit constantly it'd be DC but other than that I would (probably) prefer SF to live.

I just don't like the whole "We have the government so we rule" mindset. Come with a better debate. That's all I ask for!

Both cities (I've been to DC and close to SF, L.A , Lol but I plan to visit SF after I visit London), offer vibes (coastal/influence etc.) that are different, but cool in their own way. That's why I said they're tied in the national and global aspect.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:19 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
I could agree with some of that, but some DC residents/natives boost so much it's crazy (SF also has its share lol). I too would choose DC BECAUSE it's on the east cost (>>> West coast). But I still wouldn't want to live their. If I had to pick one city, of the two, to visit constantly it'd be DC but other than that I would (probably) prefer SF to live.

I just don't like the whole "We have the government so we rule" mindset. Come with a better debate. That's all I ask for!

Both cities (I've been to DC and close to SF, L.A , Lol but I plan to visit SF after I visit London), offer vibes (coastal/influence etc.) that are different, but cool in their own way. That's why I said they're tied in the national and global aspect.
is having the 4th largest economy in the country only behind ny, la, and chicago good enough for you?

Old 03-27-2011, 06:56 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
is having the 4th largest economy in the country only behind ny, la, and chicago good enough for you?
That's great what else?

Old 03-27-2011, 07:21 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
That's great what else?
what do you want? nightlife, food, diversity, sports, famous sights, architecture, natural scenery?

Old 03-27-2011, 08:04 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikkk View Post
Some residents in both areas like to claim #2, (or #3 after LA for the less delusional) but overall, which is the more important city on a national and global scale?

Which is a better area to live? (entertainment, jobs, lifestyle, location, etc.)
DC is more important nationally and globally...

better place to live is kind of subjective, both places can be polarizing depending on what you like...I know some people who would love SF and hate DC, and vice a versa.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:24 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
Actually DC has the 3rd largest economy and the Bay Area has the 4th largest. Chicagoland is 5th.

The Bay Area actually surpassed both DC and Chicago in 2007 which is amazing.

Due to its far more forward thinking economy, I suspect in the next 5-10 years the Bay Area's GDP will pull away from DC ad Chicagoland once and for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapico
DC is more important nationally and globally.
That depends on what we're talking about. As far as politics yes, but as far as business? I think not.

We can get into it about economic policy but at the end of the day, a healthy, sustainable economy grows from business, not government.

And the Bay Area's economy, despite its issues, is still the envy of the world. That's why analysts from New York to London to Moscow to Beijing are besides themselves trying feverishly but thusfar in vain, to recreate the magic that is Silicon Valley. One need google the words "Silicon Valley" to find countless articles of places around the globe that are stupified by the success of the Santa Clara Valley in the world of technology and innovation.

No is trying to emulate DC.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:29 PM

254 posts, read 693,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCpictures View Post
People from SF are some NYC wannabes lol
Can't wait for the San Andreas fault to do its thing.
Hey man, shut the f*ck up you insensitive prick. I lost a good friend of mine in the 89 quake. Your a piece of s%^&Y%. You don't sound like an American, you sound the same as what some terrorist would say or want. You are no better.

What is up with these DC posters lately? Some of you in other recent threads say dumb things like ,"If we want, we could blow up New York, we could destroy this US city and that US city etc". Come on, for being residents of the nations capital, show a little more class. The whole country came together and gave support and assistance when DC and NY were attacked because you know why? We are all Americans.

You know, as far as SF, the city was destroyed arguably like no other in US history in the 1906 earthquake, but it bounced back. The city suffered the 89 Loma Prieta earthquake, but the city bounced back. The Bay Area went through the tech dot bomb meltdown, but the region eventually bounced back. To me, that sounds more like what America is really about, the ability to perservere and overcome and bounce back.

Rant done, I will probably be banned after this.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:33 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frsno1 View Post
Hey man, shut the f*ck up you insensitive prick. I lost a good friend of mine in the 89 quake. Your a piece of s%^&Y%. You don't sound like an American, you sound the same as what some terrorist would say or want. You are no better.

What is up with these DC posters lately? Some of you in other recent threads say dumb things like ,"If we want, we could blow up New York, we could destroy this US city and that US city etc". Come on, for being residents of the nations capital, show a little more class. The whole country came together and gave support and assistance when DC and NY were attacked because you know why? We are all Americans.

You know, as far as SF, the city was destroyed arguably like no other in US history in the 1906 earthquake, but it bounced back. The city suffered the 89 Loma Prieta earthquake, but the city bounced back. The Bay Area went through the tech dot bomb meltdown, but the region eventually bounced back. To me, that sounds more like what America is really about, the ability to perservere and overcome and bounce back.

Rant done, I will probably be banned after this.
Agree like or dislike a place none of this is called for; we are all Americans and humans; all of significant value

though these days both cities have share of delusional posters; ill will to either is uncalled for...

Old 03-27-2011, 08:38 PM

205 posts, read 298,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually DC has the 3rd largest economy and the Bay Area has the 4th largest. Chicagoland is 5th.

The Bay Area actually surpassed both DC and Chicago in 2007 which is amazing.

Due to its far more forward thinking economy, I suspect in the next 5-10 years the Bay Area's GDP will pull away from DC ad Chicagoland once and for all.

That depends on what we're talking about. As far as politics yes, but as far as business? I think not.

We can get into it about ecnomic policy bat the end of the day, a healthy, sustainable economy grows from business, not government.

And the Bay Area's economy, despite its issues, is still the envy of the world. That's why analysts from New York to London to Moscow to Beijing are besides themselves trying feverishly but thusfar in vain, to recreate the magic that is Silicon Valley. One need google the words "Silicon Valley" to find countless articles of places around the globe that are stupified by the success of the Santa Clara Valley in the world of technology and innovation.

No is trying to emulate DC.

Wishful thinking. Have you read the gloomy reports put out by Silicon Valley officials/CEO's themselves?

SV's stronghold on innovation is becoming weaker and weaker as other regions emerge whereas government is still growing at a very fast pace.

SF will always take a backseat to DC. After all, government is more important than iPods lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City