Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Philadelphia 74 66.07%
DC 38 33.93%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 12:20 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Now who's talking out their a**. You mentioned your drive through DT in your initial post. Like kidphilly, I think you've never really spent time here.

Enjoy your Pottery Barn.
Pottery Barn...I don't know many black people that play in clay unless they are from the country. You sound like a straight bamma so fall back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 12:22 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Polo View Post
DT DC is safe and clean, CC Philly mostly safe but filthy with few sketch areas IMO
cc is spotless what are talking about? It is constantly being cleaned.

honestly have you ever been to philly?

Old 03-29-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Pottery Barn...I don't know many black people that play in clay unless they are from the country. You sound like a straight bamma so fall back.
and que the insults from the person who lost

Old 03-29-2011, 12:24 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes they are part of the Philly DT - Amazing idea MD actually have people living in the DT - I know this will come as a shocking idea

Center City is Vine to South and River to River
Although it's not traditionally CC. I'd include Bella Vista and Queen Village to Washington, and Graduate Hospital west of Broad is on the move.

MD - Sorry to abuse you of your notion that South Street is not part of Center City. Hopefully kp cleared that up for you. All of these are contiguous neighborhoods with a mix of residential and commercial. These 3 neighborhoods I also mentioned above abut against neighborhoods with gleaming high rises mixed with others with gritty side streets. Add to this Chinatown, quaint and pristine historical neighborhoods such as Society Hill and Rittenhouse Square, and a clubbing neighborhood called Old City that resembles Greenwich Village. In this area, which is larger than your realize, people live, shop, work and entertain themselves. This is real downtown. Sorry a little dirt in the corner is offensive to your tastes.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:25 AM

26 posts, read 20,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
wow okay guys shut down the forum, marco polo has found a difinitive list of the best cities. Speaking of which I plan on moving imedialey. I thought I loved philly but this list shows I must have made a mistake.
Harris Poll is weighed as prestigious ranking system with high accuracy enough to predict outcome of Obama's election poll. Desirable cities continually make these lists but Philly never been featured as desirable, no one wants to live in Philly besides Philadelphians and the poors from ghetto slums of Baltimore, Detroit, etc...

"Harris Poll #1 Online Research Poll for General Election Result Predictions

14 May 2010 - London: Harris Interactive’s® final prediction of the election result topped the charts as the most accurate poll produced through online research.

According to the British Polling Council, the Harris prediction was the second most accurate of nine, and the most accurate of those produced through online research. Companies’ final estimates of the outcome of the General Election were compared with the election result across Great Britain. The Harris Poll predicted that the Conservatives would receive 35% of the vote, Labour would receive 29% and that the Liberal Democrats would receive 27%. The final election result percentages

were 37% for the Conservatives, 30% for Labour and 24% for the Liberal Democrats."

"ROCHESTER, NY –November 6, 2008–(NASDAQ:HPOL) - The Harris Poll® issued its final presidential popular vote predictions late on election eve: Senator Obama

On average, preelection polls from 23 public polling organizations projected a Democratic advantage of 7.52 percentage points on Election Day, which is only about 1.37 percentage points away from the current estimate of a 6.15-point Obama margin in the national popular vote.

1. Rasmussen (11/1-3)**
2. YouGov/Polimetrix (10/18-11/1)
2. Harris Interactive (10/20-27)
3. GWU (Lake/Tarrance) (11/2-3)*
4. Diageo/Hotline (10/31-11/2)*
5. ARG (10/25-27)

"The 2008 presidential election provided us with a unique opportunity to further prove the effectiveness of our online survey methods," said Kimberly Till, CEO of Harris Interactive. "Election predictions are highly public tests of the efficacy of any methodology, and Harris Interactive proved once again that our online research methods are fast, are very accurate, and are equal to, if not better than the best in the industry.""

Old 03-29-2011, 12:26 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Philly looks dirty period. It reminds me of Baltimore which looks dirty. I should know...my family owns a house in east Baltimore. Dirty old buildings. They all need a facelift so the city doesn't look so depressed. The new buildings look very nice though. I know that is because it's a blue collar city but it's just not my thing.

We are discussing Downtowns correct?

Blue Collar - Philly has the third most educated DT population in America (DC didnt crack the top ten on this metric) and the highest % of DT residents with Advanced degrees

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT MD

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Fil...1115_Birch.pdf

Old 03-29-2011, 12:27 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
and que the insults from the person who lost
Loss what....let's recap

-Philly has no area that is bustling with people and video screens and lights
-Philly has one story stand alone stores in the middle of their downtown
-Philly's downtown is so small they have to include regular neighborhoods and add them into center city that DC would never consider downtown

Sounds like I won. Unless you have an answer for all this.....

Old 03-29-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Although it's not traditionally CC. I'd include Bella Vista and Queen Village to Washington, and Graduate Hospital west of Broad is on the move.

MD - All of these are contiguous neighborhoods with a mix of residential and commercial. These 3 neighborhoods abut against neighborhoods with gleaming high rises mixed with others with gritty side streets. Add to this Chinatown, quaint and pristine historical neighborhoods such as Society Hill and Rittenhouse Square, and a clubbing neighborhood called Old City that resembles Greenwich Village. In this area, which is larger than your realize, people live, shop, work and entertain themselves. This is real downtown. Sorry a little dirt in the corner is offensive to your tastes.
it's not cc because cc is it's own neighborhood. But I agree for the most part. These places are not in cc philly but they are certainly downtown by any def of the word

Old 03-29-2011, 12:28 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Polo View Post
DT DC is safe and clean, CC Philly mostly safe but filthy with few sketch areas IMO

Very Ironic for someone from SF to call Philly dirty or Filthy - take a look outside

Old 03-29-2011, 12:29 AM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,070,151 times
Look guy's,

Philly is old money and DC is New money.

Philly is the past and DC is the present (and the future)

Philly is bitter because another City took its place as the Capitol and DC is telling Philly to just get over it already geeeezzz. That was like 300 yrs ago LOL

Philly is old and dirty and DC is new and shinny

Philly is a has been and DC is still being and always will be.

When it comes to the BosWash Region, Philly is overshadowed by both NY and DC

Weathet it's between Dowtowns or the entire cities in general DC is better, thus SUPERIOR to Philly in just about every way possible.

DT DC-----------------------------DT philly

DC------------------------------------ philly

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City