Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Philadelphia 74 66.07%
DC 38 33.93%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:42 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Sorry, but a spike in vibrancy due to workers and tourists doesn't create the same environment. During the day, the city is crawling with people, but after work, the downtown area becomes less populated. Residential populations are what create an increase in retail and a more community feel, which I feel is better. DC may get there, but it's not there yet IMO.

Oh, and yes, the Chinatown/Gallery Place area is very busy after hours. However, that's a small portion of downtown.

Btw - I was in Philly last weekend, and I was out till 2am, and there were people all over the place. There was no last call, even at 2 when we left (I have to assume they were cutting off people soon...). So, no, last call is not 1:30 in my experience.
Ahhh try again! Last call is between 1:30 and 1:45 am on the weekends and 11:45 pm on week days. Maybe you were too fried to hear it. CC DOES NOT HAVE THE DAYTIME VIBRANCY OF DT DC. CC IS VERY TINY SO IT SHOULD BE VIBRANT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 07:44 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
It's funny because these Philly posters compare DT DC's federal foot print to CC. DT DC has 500,000 people on any given day. 100,000 more tourist. Can CC math that? You dummies, where do you think these people eat and drink? DT DC has way more restaurants than CC. CC has no answer for the fast paced environment of DT DC, especially Chinatown/Gallery Place which is pumping at 3am on any given night. I have partied in Philly and last call is at 1:30 am on the weekends. That's laughable.

AND KIDPHILLY, STOP SHOWING GOOGLE MAPS OF ARLINGTON, VA SAYING THAT IT IS DT DC HOMEY. You are embarrassing yourself. DT DC is built out to the brim. Canyon after canyon of midrise buildings. CC needs to catch up. DC has the largest DT after NYC and Chicago. CC didn't make the list.
Maybe you re-read again or better yet I will explain; I showed a streetview of DT DC and then one in Crystal City VA and said it (DT DC) too many times reminds me of Crytal City like areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yep just like all of DT DC- that is the issue with DT DC - there is many times nothing at the bottom of the buildings, a two story building with street level business blows away this for energy and vibrancy

washington dc - Google Maps

honestly much of DC reminds me to much of this which is the point

washington dc - Google Maps

and I will take this just blocks from the core as a place to live and play
philadelphia pa - Google Maps

but then again I live on this block

Old 03-29-2011, 07:48 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
Fixed it for you!
Congratulations, we both have something in common: an opinion.

vibrancy - Philly

walkability - DC - you're smoking crack if you really think DC is as walkable as Philly. Shorter blocks, more retail/restaurants, thin/pedestrian-friendly streets on each block absolutely blows DC's large blocks, wide avenues and a lack of retail away.

restaurants - DC - More restaurants than Philly Show me a link - and not outside DT DC either. I'll wait for your reply

diversity - DC You may be right here. I probably mispoke.

things to do - DC -too many museums, monuments, supreme court, archives, FBI tours, White House, etc.... I find more things to do in Philly when I'm there, mainly because I like the variety of shopping, restaurants/clubs, historic sites, museums, etc. This is clearly no right answer here (or in many others.

shopping - Philly

architecture - DT DC is recognized internationally. By whom? Please provide a link. It's known internationally because it's DC. I'd argue that Philly has more architecture from different time-periods. I hold Philly's City Hall over anything in DC (just my opinion).

density - Philly

Hospitals - Uhhhh...I guess Philly...CHOP, Jefferson, etc.

Skyline - DC is too iconic - Philly can be mistaken for Providence, RI Haha, again, it's statements like this that make it hard to take you serious.

Schools - Hmmmm Johns Hopkins, NYU, GW in DT DC

Urban - DT DC is completely built out environment. Philly has breaks in development and surface parking lots. You can walk from DC's West End to Union Station on Capitol Hill and see a continuous wall of office buildings in every direction which is almost 3 miles. You can't so this in Philly. Some of these are valid points, but I still find that because the city is packed so tight that Philly feels more urban. Again, large government buildings and huge streets don't necessarily feel urban to me.

overall - DC

Even though much of DC's allure is outside of downtown, whereas, downtown is Philly's strength. DC's downtown is much larger than Philly, and has an abundance of different areas for tourist, office workers and peopel seeking nightlife.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Ahhh try again! Last call is between 1:30 and 1:45 am on the weekends and 11:45 pm on week days. Maybe you were too fried to hear it. CC DOES NOT HAVE THE DAYTIME VIBRANCY OF DT DC. CC IS VERY TINY SO IT SHOULD BE VIBRANT.

Actually last call is at 6:15 PM; the city is trying to be more like DC in most of its DT so starts rolling up the sidewalks after the COB.

And Center city is about 2 miles by 1 mile, yes a compact 2 sq mile area but packs a huge punch in this space and directly and semmlessley bordered by the next set of great neighborhoods; it isnt as small as you claim but also not as large a fottprint as DC's DT; honestly the larger footprint with more deadzones in DC is part of what seperates the two - the larger area in many works against the DC DT on a lot of these metrics.
http://c0526532.cdn.cloudfiles.racks...n-map-2009.pdf

Old 03-29-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Congratulations, we both have something in common: an opinion.

vibrancy - Daytime DC - Nightime Philly

walkability - DC - you're smoking crack if you really think DC is as walkable as Philly. Shorter blocks, more retail/restaurants, thin/pedestrian-friendly streets on each block absolutely blows DC's large blocks, wide avenues and a lack of retail away.

The only wide blocks DC has are it's avenues (Connectcut, Pennsylvania, etc... E,F,G,H, I, L, M Streets which run east to west in DT DC are narrow and short. K street is wide also. The numbered 10, 11, 12, 13 streets are normal. Is Broad Street is wider than E,F,G,H,I,L, M, N, O,

restaurants - DC - More restaurants than Philly Show me a link - and not outside DT DC either. I'll wait for your reply

Show your link first!

diversity - DC You may be right here. I probably mispoke.

things to do - DC -too many museums, monuments, supreme court, archives, FBI tours, White House, etc.... I find more things to do in Philly when I'm there, mainly because I like the variety of shopping, restaurants/clubs, historic sites, museums, etc. This is clearly no right answer here (or in many others.

shopping - Philly

architecture - DT DC is recognized internationally.By whom? Please provide a link. It's known internationally because it's DC. I'd argue that Philly has more architecture from different time-periods. I hold Philly's City Hall over anything in DC (just my opinion).

You just contradicted yourself?????

density - Philly

Hospitals - Uhhhh...I guess Philly...CHOP, Jefferson, etc.

Skyline - DC is too iconic - Philly can be mistaken for Providence, RI Haha, again, it's statements like this that make it hard to take you serious.

Take 100 random people from all over the world. Show them pics of DC and Philly. 99 will recognize DC.

Schools - Hmmmm Johns Hopkins, NYU, GW in DT DC

Urban - DT DC is completely built out environment. Philly has breaks in development and surface parking lots. You can walk from DC's West End to Union Station on Capitol Hill and see a continuous wall of office buildings in every direction which is almost 3 miles. You can't so this in Philly. Some of these are valid points, but I still find that because the city is packed so tight that Philly feels more urban. Again, large government buildings and huge streets don't necessarily feel urban to me.

But you are being selective here. All of the Gov Buildings are near the Mall. What Large blocks of Gov Buildings are at Farragut North, McPherson Square, Gallery Place, Metro Center, 21st and K? 12 and I? I CAN GO ON FOREVER.

overall - DC

Even though much of DC's allure is outside of downtown, whereas, downtown is Philly's strength. DC's downtown is much larger than Philly, and has an abundance of different areas for tourist, office workers and peopel seeking nightlife.
Fixed it again!

Old 03-29-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
It's funny because these Philly posters compare DT DC's federal foot print to CC. DT DC has 500,000 people on any given day. 100,000 more tourist. Can CC math that? You dummies, where do you think these people eat and drink? DT DC has way more restaurants than CC. CC has no answer for the fast paced environment of DT DC, especially Chinatown/Gallery Place which is pumping at 3am on any given night. I have partied in Philly and last call is at 1:30 am on the weekends. That's laughable.

AND KIDPHILLY, STOP SHOWING GOOGLE MAPS OF ARLINGTON, VA SAYING THAT IT IS DT DC HOMEY. You are embarrassing yourself. DT DC is built out to the brim. Canyon after canyon of midrise buildings. CC needs to catch up. DC has the largest DT after NYC and Chicago. CC didn't make the list.

We can try and math that - DC has a larger daytime DT population but also a larger footprint. On daytime density I believe Philly and CC are a little ahead (on nightime it isnt even close); 300-350K over 2 sq miles = 150-175 ppsm and DC with 500-600K over 5+ sq miles is about 100-120K ppsm on daytime population

Old 03-29-2011, 08:08 AM

818 posts, read 1,387,191 times
Trying to imagine if these DC and SF boosters are on drugs when they write things in their posts, such delusion cant be healthy

Old 03-29-2011, 08:21 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
DT DC is built out to the brim. Canyon after canyon of midrise buildings. CC needs to catch up. DC has the largest DT after NYC and Chicago. CC didn't make the list.
You, DMV and that other guy can make as many booster statement as you want - true or otherwise. In the end, if you'll look at the poll, you'll see how the rest of the folks rank your sterile, suburban-style, office-centered, tax-funded downtown against our vibrant mixed-use one. Delude yourselves as much as you can - looks like you are fighting against the tide.

Just keep watching the poll.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:49 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
Fixed it again!

I'll defer to Kidphilly's post on vibrancy.

The only wide blocks DC has are it's avenues (Connectcut, Pennsylvania, etc... E,F,G,H, I, L, M Streets which run east to west in DT DC are narrow and short. K street is wide also. The numbered 10, 11, 12, 13 streets are normal. Is Broad Street is wider than E,F,G,H,I,L, M, N, O,

I'm starting to think you haven't even been to Philly. Even the other streets you name are wider than Philly's streets. And there are a number of wide blocks, even if it's only the avenues. You can't say "just ignore those" and we'll talk about the pros of DC.

Show your link first!

Haha, you make wild claims, and then you expect me to disprove you? Nice try, but that won't work in the real world (try telling your employer that).

architecture - DT DC is recognized internationally.By whom? Please provide a link. It's known internationally because it's DC. I'd argue that Philly has more architecture from different time-periods. I hold Philly's City Hall over anything in DC (just my opinion).

My quote was in regard to architecture. The second statement about it being internationally known is in regard to the city itself. I'll wait for your link supporting that DC is more internationally recognized architecturally than Philly.

Take 100 random people from all over the world. Show them pics of DC and Philly. 99 will recognize DC.

Well of course they will, and it's probably because our troops are marching all over their country or our industries are p1ssing all over their farmland. DC is welcome to have this type of recognition.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:

I'll defer to Kidphilly's post on vibrancy.

I concur with what Kid said.

I'm starting to think you haven't even been to Philly. Even the other streets you name are wider than Philly's streets. And there are a number of wide blocks, even if it's only the avenues. You can't say "just ignore those" and we'll talk about the pros of DC.

I have to question if you have ever been to DT DC because it is full of restaurants and eateries and retail. Certain areas don't have this because of the Feds and security issues. What DT areas are you talking about. What long blocks? The streets are wider but the blocks are not long in DC.

Show your link first!

Haha, you make wild claims, and then you expect me to disprove you? Nice try, but that won't work in the real world (try telling your employer that).

Restaurants in DT DC versus DT Philly. So much for your ridiculous claims. WOW, I love it when Philly people stick their red timbs in their mouth.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/c/7/Washington-DC-restaurants.html

http://www.urbanspoon.com/c/21/Philadelphia-restaurants.html

My quote was in regard to architecture. The second statement about it being internationally known is in regard to the city itself. I'll wait for your link supporting that DC is more internationally recognized architecturally than Philly.

Well of course they will, and it's probably because our troops are marching all over their country or our industries are p1ssing all over their farmland. DC is welcome to have this type of recognition.
Touche'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City