Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Philadelphia 74 66.07%
DC 38 33.93%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 12:33 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
These neighborhoods are close to Philly's DT and you wouldn't catch me dead in a city that has neighborhoods that looks like this, but if you let a Philadelphian tell it these neighborhoods have "CHARACTER" LOL

Slums= Character to you Philidelphians
haha that first picture is not only not "close" to philadelphia's DT, it's not even in PHILADELPHIA! That's upper darby buddy! a suburb of philadelphia.

you clearly don't know what you're talking about. and that other picture is not in center city either.

you do realize we're talking about which downtown is better right? not just trying to find random pictures of areas within a 25 mile radius of CC to make philly look bad.

haha just too classic.

your ignorance is shinning through buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 12:35 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,156,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually using your links and the CC borders the number is 2 to 1 on restaurants in Philly - dispute your own link

You have a bad memory because we added up the numbers before and it was about even or a slight edge to Philly. Anyway, if I add in Adams Morgan, Dupont, Chinatown, etc... it will match the selective areas most of the Philly folk are claiming as CC. I didn't know the Linc was in CC. Stop moving the goal post.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:35 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
WOW! I saw your link and let me say this, If I didn't know the physical boundaries of CC, I would believe that it has 900 restaurants but because I do know lil bit more about Philly than you think, I know their definition of CC is really creative. South Street? A few of the addresses are near the Linc? LOL
Fair enough. I went through a bunch of the pages and used the "Map these results", and each one looked just about like the attachment to this post. At a glance, you could argue that 33% of the restaurants are outside of CC (and I think that's aggressive). Even at 67% of the results, you get 599 restaurants...just in CC.

Btw - I never claimed to assume how much you know about CC, so no need to profess.
Attached Thumbnails
Better Downtown, DC or Philly-philly-restaurant-map.bmp  

Old 03-29-2011, 12:43 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
You have a bad memory because we added up the numbers before and it was about even or a slight edge to Philly. Anyway, if I add in Adams Morgan, Dupont, Chinatown, etc... it will match the selective areas most of the Philly folk are claiming as CC. I didn't know the Linc was in CC. Stop moving the goal post.

ok then we can keep adding to, QV, No Libs, Art Museum, Fairmont, Bella Vista, U City, Passsyunk Sq, Loft District, G-Ho, Francisville etc - what is the point - we have already established the Philly DT has a smaller footprint and now you want to add more areas and larger footprint to the DC downtown for it to compete - this is kind of the point I believe

Old 03-29-2011, 12:44 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,156,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Fair enough. I went through a bunch of the pages and used the "Map these results", and each one looked just about like the attachment to this post. At a glance, you could argue that 33% of the restaurants are outside of CC (and I think that's aggressive). Even at 67% of the results, you get 599 restaurants...just in CC.

Btw - I never claimed to assume how much you know about CC, so no need to profess.
To me all this is apples and oranges. I will admit that CC is more vibrant than DT DC but I when people post drivel about "DT DC is an office park or it's dead at night," I will pull the rug from under them every time. I showed you a link that has more than 600 restaurants in DT DC as well as videos from clubs in DT DC on a week night and a video of DC's Chinatown which is an all night spot. Plus, DT DC has like 600,000 people walking around on any given day, the second busiest subway in the country and a two mile by two mile area of block after block of continuous development of office midrises. But Philly is more urban DT? Stop it! Only NY and Chicago has this type of urban expanse DT.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Government Smoverment! It is what it is! Don't try to eat the cake without the icing. Fact 1: There is much higher demand in DC than Philly. Fact 2: Real estate in DC trumps Philly. Fact 3: More jobs in DT DC than Philly. Fact 4: DC is wealthier than Philly. I can keep going for days.
Ok, so then by this logic, you're saying that DT DC is better than DT Chicago because the COL in DC is higher? Is that your point?

Let's examine your Facts:

1. Higher demand for what? Residential, commercial?
2. How does it trump Philly? Oh, and how is this different that FACT 4?
3. I agree. This is why mixed-use development in DT DC isn't as good. CC is loaded with residential and commercial development (restaurants, stores, etc.). I wish DC was able to fill in some of the gaps, but as you said, there are some government restrictions.
4. How is real estate in DT DC better? DT housing in Philly is nice. I agree that DT DC is nice too, but not sure how it's better.

BTW - I don't eat cake.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:54 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
To me all this is apples and oranges. I will admit that CC is more vibrant than DT DC but I when people post drivel about "DT DC is an office park or it's dead at night," I will pull the rug from under them every time. I showed you a link that has more than 600 restaurants in DT DC as well as videos from clubs in DT DC on a week night and a video of DC's Chinatown which is an all night spot. Plus, DT DC has like 600,000 people walking around on any given day, the second busiest subway in the country and a two mile by two mile area of block after block of continuous development of office midrises. But Philly is more urban DT? Stop it! Only NY and Chicago has this type of urban expanse DT.

Actually a couple of points, the subway in Philly's DT is actually at a higher density of ridership per sq mile than the Metro - the Metro is far better with greater ridership, no argument here but in the core an argument can be made that Philly actually does at least as well a on PT in the city core.

I agree DC is vibrant but has far too many dead zones and is no where near as cohesive nor as vibrant from my perspective. The best areas of DC to me are just outside the DT

on your development it seemed you are trying to claim two ends of the spectrum, one DT DC is mile after mile of office building, well yes there more office buildings and many people's points are a more vibran DT has a better mix of uses; and seriously to say Philly is not developed form many miles is really pure ridiculousness. So only office buildings count

I actually rate DC as IMHO the 6th best in the country and very good; on this aspect it is one area where Philly bests DC on many others DC has the upper hand. I think DC is great and on DTs it is only surpassed IMHO by NYC, Chicago, Philly, Boston, and SF

Old 03-29-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Well, I suppose it depends on your definition of urban. I'd actually put Venice, Italy above both in urbanity, even though it's far far smaller with no roads and no urban canyons. I believe that a city has a more urban feel if roads are thinner, there are a ton of compact retaurants/retail/etc and tons of hidden pockets (parks, streets, squares, etc.).

I don't think anyone on here is saying that DT DC is an office park or it's dead at night (although I haven't read through the whole thing). It has great vibrancy during the day, and some great areas with restaurants/retail. I just personally don't think it's as compact and vibrant as Philly overall. DC may catch-up or improve, I just don't prefer it at this point.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:56 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,488 times
Quote:
These neighborhoods are close to Philly's DT and you wouldn't catch me dead in a city that has neighborhoods that looks like this, but if you let a Philadelphian tell it these neighborhoods have "CHARACTER" LOL

I'm pretty sure that first pick is not in Philly, but ratehr, Upper Darby.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:58 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,366 times
Quote:

Oh please....you can take a row of abandoned houses out of ANY CITY and make an ignorant post like that... To say Philly has no character is beyond ridiculous...and to say character doesn't matter is even more absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City