Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Philadelphia 74 66.07%
DC 38 33.93%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 02:13 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

I don't see what Metro, Adams Morgan and Georgetown have to do with Downtown DC, but whatever. These "let's compare downtown threads" always go off tangent anyway.

Growing up my whole entire life in Philadelphia (K-12) and then living in DC for the past 6 years, I give Philly the edge with regard to the downtown area. As a single (not married anyway) guy, I say DC has an advantage over Philly. Overall, I prefer the personality, culture, size, diversity, and educational advantages of Philly.

DC's a place where people come to work and have fun, but there's no cohesive identity here that's shared by blacks and whites alike. You get what you need and then leave. Philly is completely the opposite. Being a Philadelphian means rooting for the Birds, eating hoagies, and having a certain attitude or persona. Being a Washingtonian is more like making political deals at the Palm or Stetson's and being well known in national security policy circles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 02:24 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Your comment has to be one of the dummest posts of the year. Office rents in DT DC are on par with Manhattan for a reason super bad! Have you ever heard of supply and demand. Philly rent is much cheaper because there is less demand. Just like the salary's of DC workers is much higher than Philly. No one is breaking their neck to work in Philly. Penn graduates want to come to DC to make money. CC is a nice area but it's cheap compared to comparable places in DC. That's a fact.

Pittsburgh always striked me as an odd place. With all the missing teeth, mullet hair cuts and flannel clothing. And the men are just as bad!
Oh the irony! How about you learn to spell first before calling someone else's post dumb? Airheads like yourself make for some great online entertainment, but your arguments usually never contain anything of substance. Nothing is funnier than an arrogant elitist that lacks common sense and intelligence.

I will continue to enjoy myself as I pay 1/7th the rent you do to live a couple blocks away from the second most vibrant main street in the country. But hey, have fun paying Manhattan rents while living in the sub"urban" sunbelt!

Old 03-29-2011, 02:26 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
You believe that Downtown DC is better than Downtown Chicago because it is more expensive? That is compleltely crazy, DT Chicago is on another level compared to DT DC.
Right! That's why it is so CHEAP compared to DC. Plus, there is more stuff to do in DT DC all year long.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:31 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,070,084 times
Quote:
airwave09
I will continue to enjoy myself as I pay 1/7th the rent you do to live a couple blocks away from the second most vibrant main street in the country. But hey, have fun paying Manhattan rents while living in the sub"urban" sunbelt!
Where do you live?

Philly?

Old 03-29-2011, 02:31 PM

[quote=BajanYankee;18495401]I don't see what Metro, Adams Morgan and Georgetown have to do with Downtown DC, but whatever. These "let's compare downtown threads" always go off tangent anyway.

Growing up my whole entire life in Philadelphia (K-12) and then living in DC for the past 6 years, I give Philly the edge with regard to the downtown area. As a single (not married anyway) guy, I say DC has an advantage over Philly. Overall, I prefer the personality, culture, size, diversity, and educational advantages of Philly.

DC's a place where people come to work and have fun, but there's no cohesive identity here that's shared by blacks and whites alike. You get what you need and then leave. Philly is completely the opposite. Being a Philadelphian means rooting for the Birds, eating hoagies, and having a certain attitude or persona. Being a Washingtonian is more like making political deals at the Palm or Stetson's and being well known in national security policy circles.[/quote]

You know better! Being from DC means, eating at Bens, or getting some chicken and mambo, listening to Chuck Brown's Go-Go Swing on a Sunday afternoon driving in your whip, wearing slouch socks in the summer with your 993's and nike boots in the winter, rooting for the Skins or the Boys (Damn I hate Dallas), rocking the latest Northface and Foams, going to the Park or Fur or Ibiza to meet the honies and knowing that no other city in the universe does it like DC does it.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Oh the irony! How about you learn to spell first before calling someone else's post dumb? Airheads like yourself make for some great online entertainment, but your arguments usually never contain anything of substance. Nothing is funnier than an arrogant elitist that lacks common sense and intelligence.

Wow, you discovered a typo. I'm thrilled that you pay 1/7 of the rent. Coming from the mountains, it is definitely an urban oasis and an upgrade to have running water, central air and heat with the press of a button. But you need to ask yourself "why is my rent so cheap" when I am living in the so-called second most vibrant main street in the USA. And that my friend will unlock the mystery. LOL. People in Kentucky think they live in a mecca too.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
Where do you live?

Philly?
He's from the Mountains of Pittsburgh where running water is an amenity. LOL

Old 03-29-2011, 02:50 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,864 times
Quote:
You know better! Being from DC means, eating at Bens, or getting some chicken and mambo, listening to Chuck Brown's Go-Go Swing on a Sunday afternoon driving in your whip, wearing slouch socks in the summer with your 993's and nike boots in the winter, rooting for the Skins or the Boys (Damn I hate Dallas), rocking the latest Northface and Foams, going to the Park or Fur or Ibiza to meet the honies and knowing that no other city in the universe does it like DC does it.
This I think is the root cause of the disagreement between Philly and DC. The Dc posters are talking purely from the perspective of black DC residents. The Philly posters are talking from a non-black perspective.

Just a question about wide streets: what's more important to you, perspective or actual width? To me, if a street looks wider because of shorter buildings, it might as well be wider (from a psychological perspective), even if it isn't in reality.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:52 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,864 times
Double post my b.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:57 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,046 times
Quote:
He's from the Mountains of Pittsburgh where running water is an amenity. LOL
Ahh, yes... Pittsburgh.. can't get running water here....

*LOL at your poor attempts to debate with anyone in a semi-intelligent manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City