Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Philadelphia 74 66.07%
DC 38 33.93%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 09:29 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
LOL,

Look guy's it's okay, we were just pointing that out, you dont have to deny it if it's there. We know DC's DT has it's flaws, but when ever someone points out something that they noticed of Philly you guys get all bent out of shape over it and try to pretend it doesn't exit LOL. I can admit that DT DC has a galore of office buildings, less shopping, less dense, and has less DT neighborhood. A bunch of people could be standing right in the middle of CC and record themselves going from surface lot to surface lot and you guy's would probably act like it never happened LOL. Somethings you just gotta admit and take with a grain of salt. Philly just like many other places DC included are not perfect, so get over it already.
it's not so much that you've pointed out a flaw it's the fact that you've overstated it's prevalence and then tried to back up your point with incorrect data and photos that are of the stadium complex.

in my opinion one parking lot in dt philly is too much. i hate em. but they're also no where near as prevalent as you make them out to be and when you show a picture saying look at all those parking lots and it's from so high in the air you can't see ANY parking lots, then it's just a little annoying.

if you were to say philly has more surface parking lots in it's downtown i'd probably agree. but you cut your own argument off at it's knees by trying to act like dt philly is overrun with parking lots and they're all over the place. It's just silly and that's why people are going to lash back against your claims... because they're ridiculous.
seriously though if you think you're right, please circle the parking lots in that huge overhead shot of philly you posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 09:35 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
No go ahead MD you made the statement without anything to back it up and prove it; didnt you just make some statement last week on one of my posts. Go ahead prove it with your stats.

I believe you made some comment oh I think this was the quote
Ok....I will give you a little SAT reading comprehension crash course and then I'll be done with this waste of time!

This is what I said!!!

"What is the difference between going from Georgetown down M street, up 14th street to Columbia Heights, over to Georgia Ave., down to Union Station through NOMA, down to SW capital river front, and over to the SW Waterfront?"

"That is the size of DC's Downtown based on Phillys definition of downtown. If DC uses the definition's Philly uses for Center City, Downtown DC goes from the Potomac River, up to Silver Spring Maryland, and over to the Anacostia River."

"And no, Center City doesn't have a higher population than the area I just mapped out."

So.....to translate this information for you....I said using the criteria you Philly people use to map out your center city...our downtown DC would encompass 70%-75% of our city without interruption. That's about 400,000-450,000 people especially since about 75% of the population lives in this area.....Now go back and try to comprehend what was written.

Your posters are the ones who keep saying center city is river to river while really just trying to counter our claim that center city is small by saying that. Remember when your posters were saying how big it was then you tried to correct them? It is what it is. Let this go kidphilly. What each city has is best for each city respectively. Let it be!

Old 04-02-2011, 09:37 PM

292 posts, read 752,438 times
I never really got that big city feel in downtown DC. Don't get me wrong, its an awesome area with a lot to do, but to me it doesn't feel as vibrant or urban as City Center. I will say, though, DC probably does have a more consistant urban fabric overall.

Last edited by overunder12; 04-02-2011 at 09:46 PM..

Old 04-02-2011, 09:44 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Ok....I will give you a little SAT reading comprehension crash course and then I'll be done with this waste of time!

This is what I said!!!

"What is the difference between going from Georgetown down M street, up 14th street to Columbia Heights, over to Georgia Ave., down to Union Station through NOMA, down to SW capital river front, and over to the SW Waterfront?"

"That is the size of DC's Downtown based on Phillys definition of downtown. If DC uses the definition's Philly uses for Center City, Downtown DC goes from the Potomac River, up to Silver Spring Maryland, and over to the Anacostia River."

"And no, Center City doesn't have a higher population than the area I just mapped out."

So.....to translate this information for you....I said using the criteria you Philly people use to map out your center city...our downtown DC would encompass 70%-75% of our city without interruption. That's about 400,000-450,000 people especially since about 75% of the population lives in this area.....Now go back and try to comprehend what was written.

Your posters are the ones who keep saying center city is river to river while really just trying to counter our claim that center city is small by saying that. Remember when your posters were saying how big it was then you tried to correct them? It is what it is. Let this go kidphilly. What each city has is best for each city respectively. Let it be!
What we call CC; that is the limits of it and yes it is only 2 sq miles; so what is your point then on the other areas, WTF do they have to do with a DT. and how are we adding one inch of extra space.

So riddle me this then MD - where does Philly end the continuity of development? as you say you can keep going in DC; well so can you Philly and actually for probably twice the distance with denser development. Philly is a lot bigger in terms of population and continuity of development but again what does this have to do with the respective DTs

and HTF does the 2 sq mile area of CC translate to an area out to Silver Springs in the suburbs?

and lastly since DT DC is so much larger in footprint why do so few people actually live there?

Old 04-02-2011, 09:46 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,120 times
One more thing, uniformity in height is boring and bland. Buildings of different sizes and heights make a neighborhood unique and give it visual appeal.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:49 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
One more thing, uniformity in height is boring and bland. Buildings of different sizes and heights make a neighborhood unique and give it visual appeal.
Signed Paris!

Old 04-02-2011, 09:54 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,120 times
Quote:
Signed Paris!
Touche haha, but in my defense each time in this thread pics comparing CC to DT DC have been posted next to each other, Philly has looked better every single time.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:55 PM

205 posts, read 298,432 times
Downtown DC is pretty awful.

I'm going with Philadelphia...

Old 04-02-2011, 09:57 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
^^^ So you mean to tell me that someone can only go 3 miles away from CC
and start seeing crazy Surface lots like that? In DC it wouldn't matter if
you went 3 or 30 miles outside of it's DT you still wouldn't see surface lots like that.

BTW here's a look over DC from way above just like that one I post of Philly.
DC has plenty of surface parking lots...while none as big as the one in Philly (however as stated that area holds all of the sports areans)
The Pentagon complex has a huge surface parking lot, there are surface lots near Nationals Stadium, and the Capital Building has a surface lot in front of the building. There is a Costco at Pentagon Row in Arlington that has a surface lot. Fedex field has a huge parking lot as well. the Mall is lined with surface lots as well.

Just pointing out there are sever

Old 04-02-2011, 09:58 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Signed Paris!

Well Paris has far more interesting architecture and another thing Paris does does to add to Vibrancy is actually incorporates seemlessly shopping and residential (tons of it) not to mention it also has skyscrapers

DC is not Paris; Paris is one of the most beautiful cities in the world with regards to architecture. DC has lots of monolythic concrete laden buildings for as you say as far as the eye can see (not that DC is not pretty in many areas but Paris?). Dont compare DC to Paris; hell it's DT isnt even as good Philly's and Philly is no Paris.

La Défense, Paris | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/twiga_swala/2398345227/ - broken link)

Paris - Striped Reflection Pool at La Défense | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainprel/4882052466/ - broken link)

paris march 001 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/18191555@N02/2173382477/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City