Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2019, 02:31 PM

6 posts, read 5,632 times

Advertisements

I'm a black, lesbian mom in my late 20s trying to find a place to raise my child. I'm looking for a place that's walkable, safe, good schools, good public transportation where I can live car-lite/car-free. Also looking for diversity and friendliness towards LGBT individuals. A healthy lesbian dating scene and a healthy tech scene would be great, too.

Ann Arbor seems to be a great fit except that I'm not sure there will be enough "to do." My current city has more people than Ann Arbor and I'm bored with all there is to do here.

I like parks, coffee shops, horse trails, festivals, concerts, parades, things like that. Westerville also ticks a lot of boxes, but I'm concerned about it being a conservative area. I'm currently in a mid-sized liberal city in a red state and frequently experience racism in the surrounding conservative suburbs, and it feels constraining because there aren't a lot of family-friendly places around here where I can exist comfortably as a gay, black woman. So I'm looking to escape that. I also considered Detroit and loved the walkable suburbs there, but it was too easy for me to be exploring the city itself and end up in a dangerous/abandoned area that's right next to an area that appears to be thriving.

Does Westerville or Ann Arbor sound like the better fit for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 03:04 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse City View Post
I'm a black, lesbian mom in my late 20s trying to find a place to raise my child. I'm looking for a place that's walkable, safe, good schools, good public transportation where I can live car-lite/car-free. Also looking for diversity and friendliness towards LGBT individuals. A healthy lesbian dating scene and a healthy tech scene would be great, too.

Ann Arbor seems to be a great fit except that I'm not sure there will be enough "to do." My current city has more people than Ann Arbor and I'm bored with all there is to do here.

I like parks, coffee shops, horse trails, festivals, concerts, parades, things like that. Westerville also ticks a lot of boxes, but I'm concerned about it being a conservative area. I'm currently in a mid-sized liberal city in a red state and frequently experience racism in the surrounding conservative suburbs, and it feels constraining because there aren't a lot of family-friendly places around here where I can exist comfortably as a gay, black woman. So I'm looking to escape that. I also considered Detroit and loved the walkable suburbs there, but it was too easy for me to be exploring the city itself and end up in a dangerous/abandoned area that's right next to an area that appears to be thriving.

Ann Arbor is a good sized college town, that has quite a bit in its own right and has good schools. It is also close enough to Detroit to where you can enjoy what the city and area has to offer. So, that is something to consider as well.

Also, what walkable Detroit suburbs are you referring to? A place like Farmington is surrounded by Farmington Hills and is a quite diverse, with good schools(Farmington). It isn't close to any dangerous neighborhoods. Plymouth is a small city in between Detroit and Ann Arbor, that is walkable, but most of the diversity in that school district(Plymouth-Canton) is in Canton, which surrounds that small city. Those are a couple of suburban areas you could consider. Ferndale and Royal Oak are known for being LGBT friendly, with Royal Oak having a better rep in terms of schools.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the insight! The Detroit suburb I was looking at is Berkley. I'll have to check out Plymouth and Canton, too. I've looked into Farmington Hills before but not Farmington.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:30 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,630,791 times
Sorry, but is this really a question? I think you'd be much more comfortable in Ann Arbor.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:37 PM

Hey BigLake, can you elaborate on why?

Old 08-19-2019, 06:22 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:

I can't say....never having been to or knowing about your other option, but I think Ann Arbor is your ticket. Its an extremely liberal city that is growing and extremely expensive to live, however. It has great public schools and a growing tech economy. I think the black population has been in decline....likely related to how expensive it is to live there. Nearby Ypsilanti, Michigan is where the blacks live in the area.

Some people like to separate Detroit from Ann Arbor....but they would be connected in most metro areas as it is a contiguous built up area driving form Ann Arbor to Detroit. You can move to the fringes of Downtown Detroit. Those neighborhoods are booming. You can also move to suburbs like Royal Oak or Ferndale. The Detroit area is so much more populated than Columbus and you would seem more able to find your niche there.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:52 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,630,791 times
Quote:
Hey BigLake, can you elaborate on why?
Sure, no problem.

I'm working primarily off your first para., i.e., "I'm a black, lesbian mom in my late 20s trying to find a place to raise my child. I'm looking for a place that's walkable, safe, good schools, good public transportation where I can live car-lite/car-free. Also looking for diversity and friendliness towards LGBT individuals. A healthy lesbian dating scene and a healthy tech scene would be great, too. "

Ann Arbor is an incredibly progressive, tolerant, liberal university town which, while most certainly not perfect, has always been known as a a bastion for free thinkers, diversity and progressive ideals. It's typically always -- rightly or wrongly-- ranked in the top 5-10 mid-sized cities in the U.S., primarily for quality of life, quality of education, and (I think) diversity. It's also a fairly compact town, so while you may need a car for some things, it does have a bus city and the city is eminently walkable. It's also known for its thriving tech scene, due the University of Michigan.

If those are attributes above are what you favor, Westerville can not offer them in the level of quality that Ann Arbor can. Though, Columbus is a bigger city, overall, it may have some edge in quantity.

These two cities are absolutely apples and oranges. That said, each city has their own attributes, depending on what you are looking fo.

I wish you luck in your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City