Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Orlando vs Cleveland
Orlando 39 37.86%
Cleveland 64 62.14%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 12:16 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,048,814 times

Advertisements

I'm not a fan of either city, but if I were paid very well to live in one or the other (millions per year tax free), I would go with Cleveland.

BTW, how exactly are these two cities in the same league? IMO, Cleveland is a tier or two above Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 06:23 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,918,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
I'm not a fan of either city, but if I were paid very well to live in one or the other (millions per year tax free), I would go with Cleveland.

BTW, how exactly are these two cities in the same league? IMO, Cleveland is a tier or two above Orlando.
Interesting, since Orlando is a larger metro than anything in Ohio. Yes, that's a recent development (last decade) but Orlando continues to show almost 30% growth while Cleveland shrunk by over 3%. Cleveland has some amenities that outpace Orlando (museums, orchestra, etc.) while Orlando has some that blow Cleveland away (theme parks, entertainment venues, watersports). This whole comparison is an excellent argument for preference being the only thing that really matters.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:25 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,248,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
YEAH ITS A QUESTION. WHATS IN CLEVELAND? I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING GOOD ABOUT IT. I ONLY HEAR THE NEGATIVES. I JUST WANT SOMEONE TO TELL ME SOMETHING GOOD ABOUT CLEVELAND FOR ONCE CAUSE FROM THE BAD THINGS I HEAR I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY ANYONE WOULD WANT TO LIVE THERE! ?
This is why I absolutely hate threads comparing a city to Cleveland because most of the posts are people saying things about Cleveland that they read off Forbes or heard from somewhere that promote nothing but negativity about he city.

Believe it or not, the city of Cleveland is not some cesspool with 100% of the population being unhappy people in some cold dreary mess waiting to die. Cleveland has a lot going for it. It's not for everyone, but it's not some 3rd world country either. Do some research and you'll see that the city offers a lot.

Did you know Cleveland is home to the second-largest theater complex (Playhouse Square) in the United States, second only to New York City's Lincoln Center? Probably not.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
This is why I absolutely hate threads comparing a city to Cleveland because most of the posts are people saying things about Cleveland that they read off Forbes or heard from somewhere that promote nothing but negativity about he city.

Believe it or not, the city of Cleveland is not some cesspool with 100% of the population being unhappy people in some cold dreary mess waiting to die. Cleveland has a lot going for it. It's not for everyone, but it's not some 3rd world country either. Do some research and you'll see that the city offers a lot.

Did you know Cleveland is home to the second-largest theater complex (Playhouse Square) in the United States, second only to New York City's Lincoln Center? Probably not.
Yeah... Houston makes a similar claim:

Quote:
The district, with 12,948 seats for live performances and 1,580 movie seats, ranks second in the United States for the number of theater seats in a concentrated downtown area and is one of only five cities with permanent professional resident companies in all of the major performing arts disciplines (the Houston Grand Opera, the Houston Symphony Orchestra, the Houston Ballet, and The Alley Theatre).

Houston Theater District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So I guess Cleveland has Orlando beat (for now) with preforming arts, but if you're like me, you'd rather spend the day wake boarding or surfing, then hit up some great nightlife, and recover the next day at Universal. Different strokes I suppose.

Not to mention, we have a new PAC being built to house touring Broadway shows plus, a sizable local theater movement, and permanent show like Blue Man & Cirque. So it's not like Orlando is a huge slouch in that department.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:45 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,248,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Yeah... Houston makes a similar claim:

So I guess Cleveland has Orlando beat (for now) with preforming arts, but if you're like me, you'd rather spend the day wake boarding or surfing, then hit up some great nightlife, and recover the next day at Universal. Different strokes I suppose.

Not to mention, we have a new PAC being built to house touring Broadway shows plus, a sizable local theater movement, and permanent show like Blue Man & Cirque. So it's not like Orlando is a huge slouch in that department.
Ugh, I never said I was some theater dweller or something, I simply pointed that out to prove that most people wouldn't know that because most people tend to think Cleveland is some wasteland with nothing going on.

I've been to Orlando, and it's a nice city, but I'd rather live in Cleveland. Like you said, different strokes I suppose. My only complaint is people picking Orlando or whatever city going up against Cleveland in other threads because "Well, I read Cleveland sucks. What in the world would be going on there?".

Old 07-22-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Ugh, I never said I was some theater dweller or something, I simply pointed that out to prove that most people wouldn't know that because most people tend to think Cleveland is some wasteland with nothing going on.

I've been to Orlando, and it's a nice city, but I'd rather live in Cleveland. Like you said, different strokes I suppose. My only complaint is people picking Orlando or whatever city going up against Cleveland in other threads because "Well, I read Cleveland sucks. What in the world would be going on there?".
I feel ya, Orlando gets the same treatment and is often unjustly judged because of people's misconceptions about it. For the record, I loved Cleveland when I went to Sandusky, and have never outright based it on here, just stated my opinion on why I prefer Orlando.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:23 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,827,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
And since no one can tell me whats good about Cleveland and after looking at those pictures, Cleveland is a dump and just jumped on my list of most disgusted cities.
How the heck did you conclude that Cleveland's a dump? Orlando gets stereotyped all the time, now you're doing it to Cleveland? C'mon.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:38 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,181,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
How the heck did you conclude that Cleveland's a dump? Orlando gets stereotyped all the time, now you're doing it to Cleveland? C'mon.
It'ss Called Sarcasm.

Quote:

I agree. I live In Orlando. While It's not my favorite city and I want to move , I know it's a decent place to live. As time comes you live and learn, even more about your city than you knew. Thats kinda my thing with Orlando. There are some things I LOVE But there are some things I DISLIKE. Obviously I'm an oddball cause the city has done NOTHING but GROW, so when I see people on C-D forums going in on Orlando and disrespecting the place, it bothers me in the sense of they don't know what they are missing. See I never been to Cleveland so I can put a legit argument up except for exactly what you said. its so gray and every one is depressed even with it's population decline. But Do I Honestly know that for myself? No i dont. Look Living in the south you see and hear a a lot especially from people up north but it never bothers me cause they still seam to move down here so I never understand the rants lol.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:08 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,450,891 times
This comparison really isn't fair for Orlando. It can't possibly be expected to compete with a city like Cleveland.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
This comparison really isn't fair for Orlando. It can't possibly be expected to compete with a city like Cleveland.
Not to be defensive, but do you mind listing actual reasons as to why Orlando can't compete with Cleveland? I mean I'll give credit where credit is due, but 2 similarly sized metros should be able to find a few things about the other to emulate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City