Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City oi the Core feels most like NYC on feel at the street level?
Atlanta 5 1.48%
Baltimore 3 0.89%
Boston 18 5.33%
Chicago 96 28.40%
Dallas 20 5.92%
DC 10 2.96%
Houston 4 1.18%
Los Angeles 11 3.25%
Philadelphia 113 33.43%
San Francisco 58 17.16%
Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 12:47 AM

857 posts, read 1,365,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
all that is nice, but SF doesn't remind me of NYC. it reminds me of a dense south american city like buenos aires or something. i stayed in SF for a week. stayed in union sq.
Ha! straight and to the point

I moved to Philly from Queens 6 years ago, never been to Chicago (Although I plan to soon) but I do imagine it being somewhat like NYC in its core.. and out of of the cities on this list I have been to (Baltimore,DC) Philly is the closest to anything new york in terms of street level and just that massive city feel with crazy hustle and bustle and energy ..and that is part of the reason why I decided to move here, and it being CHEAPER to live here of course

I would assume Boston is similar too on smaller scale. Im not too sure about SF, i've never been...but I doubt it.. same for all the other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 01:04 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
I've never been to Philly or Boston so I won't comment on those. To me SF reminded me more of NYC at the street level than Chicago. Inside the loop it feels like NYC just as much as the Financial District in SF. Outside the loop in areas like River North there is more space between buildings as well as more surface parking lots compared to SF. And Chicago seemed MUCH cleaner than either SF or NYC.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:42 AM

457 posts, read 1,108,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I've never been to Philly or Boston so I won't comment on those. To me SF reminded me more of NYC at the street level than Chicago. Inside the loop it feels like NYC just as much as the Financial District in SF. Outside the loop in areas like River North there is more space between buildings as well as more surface parking lots compared to SF. And Chicago seemed MUCH cleaner than either SF or NYC.
I kind felt a similar vibe. River North also seemed a lot newer than either NY or SF. They have more of the old school pre-war buildings.

Outside DT SF, however, the city is probably the most different (at least architecturally).

Old 07-10-2011, 09:02 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
Where's Pitt? Some areas of downtown Pitt are pretty similar to NYC other than the pedestrian activity
It's true, Downtown Pittsburgh's density and Daytime population makes it feel very Manhattan-ish

Philadelphia, parts of Center City feels like Manhattan but others parts feel more like a Boston or DC me.

For the Midwest - Chicago of course has the closest feel of Manhattan

For the West Coast - SF wins hands down.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:39 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Some pics I took this weekend (Now not midtown and very much philly to me this also could fit in the village or SOHO seemless or even Boston's north end for that matter many similarities to parts of Philly/NYC/Boston)
Attached Thumbnails
Which city gives the greatest similarity of street level feel to NYC-img00201-20110709-1704.jpg   Which city gives the greatest similarity of street level feel to NYC-img00202-20110709-1705.jpg   Which city gives the greatest similarity of street level feel to NYC-img00203-20110709-1707.jpg   Which city gives the greatest similarity of street level feel to NYC-img00204-20110709-1807.jpg   Which city gives the greatest similarity of street level feel to NYC-img00205-20110709-1808.jpg  

Which city gives the greatest similarity of street level feel to NYC-img00207-20110709-1957.jpg  

Last edited by kidphilly; 07-10-2011 at 10:22 AM..

Old 07-10-2011, 02:16 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenciti View Post
In St. Louis, when riding down Kingshighway with Forest Park (which is 50% larger than NYC's Central Park) on one side of the street and Barnes Jewish Hospital and other tall highrises lining the other side of the street. Add in the amount of pedistrians and bike riders, restaurants, street life and the architecture and you get the slight feel of being in NYC. But only for a brief moment.
Very brief moment, and only if you are on a major Hallucinogen. St. Louis cannot campare to NYC on any level.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:48 PM

422 posts, read 815,722 times
Ok, I've lived in Manhattan and downtown Chicago as an adult. I've been to Philly, Boston and Sf multiple times. I love the aforementioned cities compared to NYC. Honestly, this poll is for the egos of the other cities. Nothing in this country has an infrastructure that is ,street level, similar. A corner store, high rise, bodaga and a few blocks of density don't compare. I love city data and this forum. It at times is like a fan page for our cities -which is awesome because we educate each other so much. Honestly though, there is not a comp in our country for NY. You have to go to Hong Kong or Tokyo. All this my opinion, but aim a downtown dweller and happened to be well-traveled. Pockets don't count cortège comps. But if I was forced to vote, I would pick SF (but that's only during threat time). night time energy is only matched on South Beach, French Quarters or Vegas strip. All this is an opinion.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:55 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Very brief moment, and only if you are on a major Hallucinogen. St. Louis cannot campare to NYC on any level.
Haha yea we've all acknowledged that it's a total stretch to compare anything in the US to NYC...but it's funny when people start throwing out places like Pittsburgh and St. Louis.

FWIW, if the alternate future of Escape from New York had played out, then Detroit would be closest to New York in street feel.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:01 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Haha yea we've all acknowledged that it's a total stretch to compare anything in the US to NYC...but it's funny when people start throwing out places like Pittsburgh and St. Louis.
No more funny than trying to compare the rest of the cities listed here to NYC....i mean if you want to be honest No City truly compares to NYC...

And to be honest i dont really understand people's need to have their cities compare to NYC....why cant cities just be the cities that they are....its like some type of insignificant pretentious popularity constest...

Old 07-11-2011, 12:12 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
Closest feel to Manhattan is Center Center Philly. Philly being an old city, it was planned well and offers the density that most cities envy. Midwest cities tend to have less density with too many wide streets. Also, Philly has some of the hodge-podge stores that NY has; not everything is a chain store. Chicago has that chain feel to it and lacks the narrow streets of east coast cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City