Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Country do you prefer to Live based on Criteria given?
Canada 40 16.53%
United States 202 83.47%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 05:42 PM

182 posts, read 454,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
Honestly,

Even though I prefer to live in the US, I can still honestly say that I could see myself Happy in either or. Since life is about choices and I'm fortunate of having the luxury of being able to choose which Country to live, then I choose the US because it offers more of what I want and need. That's without taking anything from Canada because I understand that the US has years of a head start on you guy's, so in that respect Canada gets huge credit for there progress thus far.
well said its 1790 vs 1960's

Old 03-30-2011, 05:53 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihos501 View Post
well they're not in the same league absolutely, look here:

Toronto > NYC > Chicago > Vancouver > Paris > London > Montreal > L.A. > SF > Calgary

Uh... did you just put Vancouver over Paris, London, SF and LA? And Toronto over NYC/Paris/London/LA? I'll leave that alone.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:00 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Uh... did you just put Vancouver over Paris, London, SF and LA? And Toronto over NYC/Paris/London/LA? I'll leave that alone.
LA's not that amazing.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:07 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Im sorry but this is a unfair thread. USA is years ahead of Canada.
You cant go from Tropical -Desert climate in Canada. Or NYC to a miami in canada. Its comepletly different. (Although I do live me some Canada)

Old 03-30-2011, 08:57 PM

832 posts, read 1,254,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
\
I am moving to England this Fall, I have had it with the USA.
london is off the hook... but be prepared for the fall season to last 12 month

Old 03-30-2011, 09:31 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Default I wanna be Canadian

I would much rather live in Canada. Most definitely, 100%, absolutely Canada.
  • Economy- Canada (corporations and banks are heavily regulated)
  • Weather- Canada (I like cool to cold weather and mild summers)
  • Natural Scenery- Canada (mountains, temperate beaches, tundra)
  • Food- Canada (poutine, butter tarts, maple syrup, Tim Hortons)
  • Safety- Canada . . . is this a serious question?!?!
  • Best Tourist attractions (in any City you like within either Country)- I'm not much for tourist attractions . . . I'll go with the U.S., and Disneyland. Hey, I gotta give the U.S. something, eh?
  • Education- Canada . . . more funding for schools, higher standards, more bilingual educational centers
  • More Diverse- United States, but Canada has really diverse cities in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver
  • Entertainment (Music, Sports, Movies etc.)- Canada (I like hockey and indie rock . . . you can't beat Canada for that)
  • History- Both countries have great histories . . . a tie
  • Which is more important to the World- USA, but why does that really matter? I'd rather make my home in Canada
  • which has more important Cities- USA (NY, LA, Chicago, Boston)
  • Better Lifestyle- CANADA!!!!
  • Better to raise Children- I don't want kids, but if I did have them, I'd want to raise them in rural Canada
  • Which Has More Vibrant Cities- The US has more cities, but it's hard to beat Montreal and Vancouver for vibrancy. Plus, Canadian cities lack much of the blight US cities have. I'll go with Canada . . . quality over quantity.
  • Which has the most invention's- Probably USA
  • Overall Financial Contribution's- Overall? The USA has 10 times the population of Canada. USA, only because of the larger population.
  • Fashion & style- Canada
  • Superior Government- CANADA. No contest. Peace, Order and Good Government.

Even though I'm an American, I'd prefer Canada because its government serves the people, it has true political fairness, it has fewer insane politicians, it lacks the hyperbolic political demagogues, has a very low crime rate, it has universal healthcare, the economy is booming, it's uncrowded, vast, beautiful and wild. I like cold weather and linguistic diversity, all things Canada is known for.

Last edited by northstar22; 03-30-2011 at 09:51 PM..

Old 03-31-2011, 05:04 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
Overall, the USA offers more in terms of different big cities and a varied geography and climate. Quality of life and safety VARY more in the USA and it depends on your income more than it does in Canada. I'd say the only thing Canada edges the USA on is the Government and general safety. The US gov't has a lot of shaping up to do. I voted for USA overall, though. If just has more to offer.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:08 AM

785 posts, read 1,881,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In all honesty, I'd say just the east coast of the U.S. is enough to beat Canada in most respects - "objectively" speaking.

But I do like Canada though. It's got some unique cities and a lot of beautiful places. Great country to visit, and I heartily recommend it for that.

It would be nice if Canada belonged to the U.S. ;-P
Would it? That sounds like a very colonialist thing to say. Surely it would be the same as the US if you 'owned it' and that's not what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
Honestly,

Even though I prefer to live in the US, I can still honestly say that I could see myself Happy in either or. Since life is about choices and I'm fortunate of having the luxury of being able to choose which Country to live, then I choose the US because it offers more of what I want and need. That's without taking anything from Canada because I understand that the US has years of a head start on you guy's, so in that respect Canada gets huge credit for there progress thus far.
Patronising much?
Quote:
That's right, Canada was founded in the 60s, 40 years ago. Did you mean 1860s? Yeah you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
Best Tourist attractions (in any City you like within either Country)- I do not think that any canadian city could rivalise against NYC, LA, SF, DC... the best proof is that Disney didn't even bother opening a theme park there...
What a great reason.

Some people are quite funny. These aren't even the rude comments, just the ones I found odd.

Undoubtedly the US has more to offer. It's a much larger country with far more cities. Having said that, the trend of saying 'I love Canada, but...' before being patronising or nationalist, doesn't really soften the blow.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:40 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Saying that the US had a head start on Canada is simply not true! Almost all areas of Canada were settled around the same time as the adjoining areas of the US were.

Quebec and Atlantic Canada = same time as the 13 original colonies
Ontario = same time as Upstate New York and the Midwest

... and so on as you move westwards.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:51 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,754,734 times
Although the US may have more to offer in terms of all of the criteria of the topic, Canadians have a much better quality of life than us Americans. In every study done, of the happiness and healthiness of its citizens, life expectency, etc., Canada ranks much higher than the US.

Actually, in terms of health and clean living, Canada is #1 in the Western Hemisphere. The only thing the US is still #1 in is military size / spending and total GDP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City