Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 04:53 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
That's the point... Oakland gets its ****-tastic reputation from locals and transplants alike across the bay area -predominantly from the peninsula and the south bay - who've never set foot here other than maybe Lake Merritt or Rockridge if they're adventurous. The average San Franciscan has no idea what's on the other side of the Bay Bridge, and to be fair SF is very self-sufficient so there's not reason they should. However, the SF media train is purely idiotic. They publish articles such as "Oakland 11,000 times more dangerous than craigslist" when they know damn well that SF is easily 8,000 times as dangerous or the fact that the chronicle NEVER reports SF shootings. Ever.
I don't know. I'm not here to bash Oakland. It's true and I do see it the way you and others here do.... if you live in Oakland you'd also be getting a lot of what San Francisco offers as well. But that there is crime.... there is crime. You can't erase that about Oakland. There's also crime in San francisco for sure... so I think Seattle and Austin wins in that category.

And I really don't care about what the locals said about Oakland either... it was just an observation. You can also talk about conspiracies about how the media makes paints Oakland, etc. etc. But maybe that just means that Oakland does need some work. Locals shouldn't feel offended for it but rather take that with sincerity and accept the certain issues that their own cities must face. That goes for everybody. Don't get me wrong though.... I've heard plenty of good things about Oakland. Some have even recommended it for me but have warned me about certain neighborhoods to avoid.... the same with San Francisco. When I was there, I'd never experienced the amount of shady neighborhoods that any Texas city has. And I'm just speaking about San francisco.... and neither am I saying this to bolster Texas. I'm just pointing out my observations.

I'd still prefer the Bay Area over any other Texas city quite frankly. Just wish i had more money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 05:30 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
I don't know. I'm not here to bash Oakland. It's true and I do see it the way you and others here do.... if you live in Oakland you'd also be getting a lot of what San Francisco offers as well. But that there is crime.... there is crime.
Really, does my neighborhood look crimeridden to you?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3052/...d62f06ba_o.jpg

The point is, Oakland has areas with crime but plenty of areas in Oakland have low crime and its entirely possible for a person to live their life totally absent of crime in the city of Oakland.

Its really ridiculous how out-of-towners think they are going to define our city...TO US?

Quote:
You can't erase that about Oakland. There's also crime in San francisco for sure... so I think Seattle and Austin wins in that category.
Do we need to revisit yet again all the categories Oakland wins?

Quote:
And I really don't care about what the locals said about Oakland either.
And your opinion on my city is clearly meaningless.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Really, does my neighborhood look crimeridden to you?
Listen, there's no reason for arguing here but a picture of houses is clearly not indicative of being crimeridden or not. My point was to point out that there is crime in Oakland. You'd be lying to yourself if you said there wasn't.

Quote:
The point is, Oakland has areas with crime but plenty of areas in Oakland have low crime and its entirely possible for a person to live their life totally absent of crime in the city of Oakland.
That's kinda what I was getting at in the first place.

Quote:
Its really ridiculous how out-of-towners think they are going to define our city...TO US?y.
Does crime define a city? Absolutely not. It's a very black and white way of looking at things. There are great things about Oakland.... but there is also crime and this is something that out-of-towners should definitely want to take into consideration when looking to move into.

Quote:
Do we need to revisit yet again all the categories Oakland wins?
Oakland certainly has the benefit of being in the Bay Area. But there are also other important factors that give Austin and Seattle a boost... i.e. safety and cost.

But I'm sorry, let me just stop and say that you're being overly sensitive to my comments. I didn't mean it in any way to stir debate.

Quote:
And your opinion on my city is clearly meaningless.
You're getting offended for nothing. Let me rephrase. I took it with a grain of salt when people from San Francisco said negative things about Oakland. As I've mentioned before, there were also good things I heard of Oakland which has made me consider moving to Oakland. I am not taking a jab, stereotyping, defining, criticizing etc. etc. the city of Oakland.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Listen, there's no reason for arguing here but a picture of houses is clearly not indicative of being crimeridden or not.
But it was you who decided to throw a blanked called "crime" over the entire city....not me.

Quote:
Does crime define a city? Absolutely not. It's a very black and white way of looking at things. There are great things about Oakland.... but there is also crime and this is something that out-of-towners should definitely want to take into consideration when looking to move into.
Right, but that applies to everywhere, not just Oakland.

Quote:
Oakland certainly has the benefit of being in the Bay Area. But there are also other important factors that give Austin and Seattle a boost... i.e. safety and cost.
Perhaps, but that reminds of carbuying. If I wanted to be safe and was worried about price, Id buy something sensible. But I like to drive fast and like italian auto engineering and that costs a bit more---but BOY is it worth it.

Quote:
But I'm sorry, let me just stop and say that you're being overly sensitive to my comments. I didn't mean it in any way to stir debate.

You're getting offended for nothing. Let me rephrase. I took it with a grain of salt when people from San Francisco said negative things about Oakland. As I've mentioned before, there were also good things I heard of Oakland which has made me consider moving to Oakland. I am not taking a jab, stereotyping, defining, criticizing etc. etc. the city of Oakland.
To be offended would imply that Im taking your comments as some personal insult and in reality, its the complete opposite. I could care less.

Im simply pointing out its never right to use blanket generalizations to describe entire cities which is what you clearly did by saying that Oakland has crime, which it does, but not the whole city in fact, much of it doesnt. That's like me saying LA has crime or NY has crime and leaving it at that because technically they do.

And its not really your fault because you yourself claim that your "opinion" was spoonfed to you by some haughty San Franciscans which is nothing new.

BTW, there are many people in SF who are actually cool when it comes to Oakland.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
But it was you who decided to throw a blanked called "crime" over the entire city....not me.
So I called every single person in Oakland a criminal? When did I say that? When did I even say there was crime in every neighborhood?

edit:
And just to clarify, my comment about your photo meant that you posting that picture does not mean there is no crime even if its so pretty. Do you understand what I'm saying? In other words, that doesn't mean I said "you who decided to throw a blanked called 'crime' over" Oakland.

Quote:
Right, but that applies to everywhere, not just Oakland.
Yes.... but Oakland has a little more of it. These are things you need to consider if you're looking to move. No need to take offense by it.

Quote:
Perhaps, but that reminds of carbuying. If I wanted to be safe and was worried about price, Id buy something sensible. But I like to drive fast and like italian auto engineering and that costs a bit more---but BOY is it worth it.
fine by me... but that's not what we're talking about. a college student may want something more affordable. so this is a major factor you'd need to consider if you're trying to go to school.

Quote:
To be offended would imply that Im taking your comments as some personal insult and in reality, its the complete opposite. I could care less.
if you cared less you wouldn't be looking way too much into my posts.

Quote:
Im simply pointing out its never right to use blanket generalizations to describe entire cities which is what you clearly did by saying that Oakland has crime, which it does, but not the whole city in fact, much of it doesnt. That's like me saying LA has crime or NY has crime and leaving it at that because technically they do.
You're splittin hairs way to much my dear friend.

Quote:
And its not really your fault because you yourself claim that your "opinion" was spoonfed to you by some haughty San Franciscans which is nothing new.
I mean I did take it with a grain of salt... but that doesn't seem to matter to you at this point. I guess the good things about Oakland have been spoonfed to me too? I mean, I'm just going by your way of thinking.

Quote:
BTW, there are many people in SF who are actually cool when it comes to Oakland.
did I say there weren't? Did I say that every San Franciscan hates Oakland and that every neighborhood in Oakland is crime ridden?

Old 03-31-2011, 09:43 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,279 times
Quote:
Chalk that argument up as a loss and just move one. LOL.
No answer = No answer. Thanks for playing.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
No answer = No answer. Thanks for playing.
The answer is UC Berkeley whallops the other two.

Consider this a reality check.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
So I called every single person in Oakland a criminal? When did I say that? When did I even say there was crime in every neighborhood?

edit:
And just to clarify, my comment about your photo meant that you posting that picture does not mean there is no crime even if its so pretty. Do you understand what I'm saying? In other words, that doesn't mean I said "you who decided to throw a blanked called 'crime' over" Oakland.

Yes.... but Oakland has a little more of it. These are things you need to consider if you're looking to move. No need to take offense by it.

fine by me... but that's not what we're talking about. a college student may want something more affordable. so this is a major factor you'd need to consider if you're trying to go to school.

if you cared less you wouldn't be looking way too much into my posts.

You're splittin hairs way to much my dear friend.

I mean I did take it with a grain of salt... but that doesn't seem to matter to you at this point. I guess the good things about Oakland have been spoonfed to me too? I mean, I'm just going by your way of thinking.

did I say there weren't? Did I say that every San Franciscan hates Oakland and that every neighborhood in Oakland is crime ridden?
In other words, blah blah blah.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
In other words, blah blah blah.
hahaha this is silly

Last edited by migol84; 03-31-2011 at 10:35 PM..

Old 03-31-2011, 11:09 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,279 times
Quote:
The answer is UC Berkeley whallops the other two.

Consider this a reality check.
CAL is a great school. But whallops? I think not. UW and UT are both great Universities in their own right. Besides. UC Berkeley isn't in Oakland. They knew better.

Reality check indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City