Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better
Minneapolis 45 75.00%
Cleveland 15 25.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 10:55 PM

765 posts, read 2,127,780 times

Advertisements

Trying to decide where I want to live after graduation, Minneapolis near where I am now, or my hometown of Cleveland. Thoughts on which one is better for activities, jobs, people, cost, weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 06:51 AM

528 posts, read 1,184,459 times
I think there's much more for you to do in Minneapolis. the job market is probably better too

Old 04-01-2011, 06:55 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
I'd say Minneapolis. Like both cities though. In fact I'm going to Cleveland tomorrow for a day or two. Pretty excited!

Old 04-01-2011, 11:16 AM

261 posts, read 588,502 times
For a recent college grad, I might say Minneapolis too. Only because it has more of a young professional scene than Cleveland, Cleveland is very much more of a family oriented place and there's nothing wrong with that. The economy is diversified in Cleveland but not to the extent of Minneapolis (Medical, Government/Law and Biotechnology are still the biggest giants in the area).
But really it all depends what you want, I know a few recent college grads who are living perfectly well in Cleveland without a problem (One is from Minneapolis), the cost of living makes the place very livable. Are there any specific attributes you're looking for in each city? That might help us out.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:03 PM

148 posts, read 234,002 times
I always find it odd when people ask about two cities they know very well, in this case your HOMETOWN and the place you've been living for the last four years. Don't you know the differences in activities, people, weather, etc.?

Old 04-01-2011, 12:13 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
What's your degree??

Old 04-01-2011, 01:44 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,092 times
I must admit, I don't care much for Cleveland as a city itself. Hear me out before you trash me. However, having said that, I think the people in Cleveland are much easier to get to know. And much easier to like. I just met this guy recently who used to live in LA like myself and he moved during the 90's riots. Where did he go? To Minneapolis. He said he thought it would be a nice charming place to live. He said he lived there 13 years. Currently I am living in NY and he said he is surprised how friendly people in NY are compared to people he met during his time in Minneapolis. He is currently living in Tempe Arizona, but his job moves him all over for periods of time. So that is why he is in NY now. He has been here for two years. He said that he couldn't believe how easy going people in NY were. I know, NY right! But that's what he said. Now I'll be the first to admit, I never really liked Cleveland, but that was always based on aesthetics. The city itself just seemed sort of dumpy and I just didn't like the set up. Which isn't really fair. If I judged by the people, I think Ohians as a whole are a much friendlier bunch. He explained to me that no matter how long you live in Minneapolis, if you weren't from there originally it was really hard to get into social circles. Since he is not a liar, I've see no reason to not believe him. He said that he never felt welcome and this is coming from a guy who I thought was from lack of a better phrase "the salt of the earth type". Really friendly and easy to like. Now on the other hand, I have met many Ohians who were very friendly and showed no signs of parochialism or arrogance. This might come from their blue collar background. Ohio is a tough state with not alot of reward. Example can be taken from sports. When has the last time Cleveland won anything. Kind of an odd assessment but it is what it is. So from vicarious as well as my own personal experience, I would conclude with this. If your looking to go to college somewhere, I would give the edge to Minneapolis. If your looking for a place to live and raise a family go with Cleveland..That's my two scents.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:25 PM

674 posts, read 1,055,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
. If your looking for a place to live and raise a family go with Cleveland..That's my two scents.
What? - Why? Minneapolis is a very family friendly city. One of the best in the U.S. actually. Minneapolis wins hands down over Cleveland.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:02 AM

261 posts, read 588,502 times
Why does Minneapolis have to win hands down? This decision will be based mostly to preference, Cleveland and Minneapolis are two different cities, each offers things on levels the other does not.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:28 AM

769 posts, read 1,730,065 times
Minneapolis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City