Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which City Has The Better Nightlife
NYC 125 81.70%
DC 28 18.30%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 01:29 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
People like you that wear purple Timbs and think they are fashionable. Or it could be someone that wears gold teeth like most NYers use to do back in the day. Or it could be the dude with the three slashes in his eyebrows or the dude with the blonde gumby. Gotta love NY!
I despise Timbs, don't wear them never have, that's not fashionable at all.
3 slashes in my eyebrows? Lol this isn't the south.

And I'm from Brooklyn we definitely don't do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikkk View Post
^^^

Have you really been to NYC?

Sounds like you're describing the "bammas" in DC.
Exactly. Lol at Gold Teeth, even if we wanted to bring it back people would flock. Vintage is the new "thing". . . you'll soon see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 02:39 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,864 times
Most of the people I see wearing Timbs are white. I don't know about Philly black culture vs. NY black culture so maybe you're right. But in general, NY doesn't overshadow Philly. And as someone originally from South Jersey, I can easily say NY doesn't have a stranglehold on NJ culture. Hudson and Bergen Counties, yes (and it would be sad for NYC if it didn't), but the whole state, no.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:57 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikkk View Post
^^^

Have you really been to NYC?

Sounds like you're describing the "bammas" in DC.

Slim,

I am very familiar with NYC, especially Brooklyn. I lived on Hoyt Street (between Redhook and Fort Green) for years in DT Brooklyn. NYC started the gold teeth thing. Look in Mary J. Blige's (at pics of her smiling) mouth. She still has hers. LOL. Das EFX started the whole dred thing before Lil Wayne. NYC started the gumby hair cuts and dying your hair blonde. See any Big Daddy Kane Video. You can't tell me **** about NYC. Plus I have 4 older brothers who still live there and on any given day, they will have on some very creative outfits.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:27 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Black gogo DC people honestly think they are the trend setters in DC music, fashion and culture when the truth is they're not. No one really cares and most DC area black people don't either. You are in the minority so stop embarrassing DC and yourself. As far as me using the word 'ghetto', listen to people talk about it, read local articles about it and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:27 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Black gogo DC people honestly think they are the trend setters in DC music, fashion and culture when the truth is they're not. No one really cares and most DC area black people don't either. You are in the minority so stop embarrassing DC and yourself. As far as me using the word 'ghetto', listen to people talk about it, read local articles about it and you'll see what I'm talking about.
You might want to check the race of the people writing those articles. News flash....they aren't black. Black people in DC associate it with our culture from Chuck Brown and EU for old people to WHAT Band and TCB for younger people. You aren't considered one of us anyway so who cares what you think. You're that guy holding the red cup full of beer at somebody's house party chatting it up. LOL....you aren't apart of this culture.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:55 PM

639 posts, read 1,289,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
See NYC? LOL....I didn't visit NYC till I was 20. We talked about NYC transplants that moved to DC. We pretty much shunned them in school. We said they were bammas because they didn't dress, talk, or act like us. Simple as that. Do I feel this way now? No...there are more important things in life. But that is the normal experience of NYC people when they moved to DC with their parents. You might want to ask some NYC people who have lived in DC what it was like fitting in as a teenager or child. They probably had a horrible experience. That is what every DC poster on here is talking about when we say something about NYC people. This is what goes on in school. Take it for what it is.
Wow, DC black people act alot like the real housewives of Beverly Hills. You guys sound like a bunch of closed minded jerks and spoiled brats. Not something to be proud of or brag about. Around here only teens with expensive pill addictions and 2 wrecked cars that daddy payed for act like that.

Your vids prove to me that y'all dress like homosexuals and your music sucks. That along with your snotty attitude is probably why your "unique culture" of being a douchebag that listens to a music genre that sucks and has the same name as gay clubs is probably why no one is checking for you.

Speaking of homosexuals maybe DC ppl are proud of being the AIDS capital of the nation along with the gay and tranny capital. Bammas could never get on your level when it comes to that. It must be the gogo (I can't even say that word without LOL'ing) thats turning all you daddies boys into butt buddies.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:39 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
You'd swear D.C. was a separate country after reading some of these posts.

#WELLDAMN

mas23

Old 04-03-2011, 06:49 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
See NYC? LOL....I didn't visit NYC till I was 20. We talked about NYC transplants that moved to DC. We pretty much shunned them in school. We said they were bammas because they didn't dress, talk, or act like us. Simple as that. Do I feel this way now? No...there are more important things in life. But that is the normal experience of NYC people when they moved to DC with their parents. You might want to ask some NYC people who have lived in DC what it was like fitting in as a teenager or child. They probably had a horrible experience. That is what every DC poster on here is talking about when we say something about NYC people. This is what goes on in school. Take it for what it is.
honestly you should probably just stop posting about dc.

dc is def one of the coolest cities in this country but the way you act and talk makes dc look like a bunch of awful close minded people.

i mean honestly? you're proud about being mean to teenagers who came from somewhere else? you shun people who don't dress like you? you make is sound like people in dc are catty like suburban white chicks.

i'm sure glad the black people in philly ain't for the most part like you, otherwise i imagine i would have had a really crap life growing up white here. not saying i never got crap for being white. but close minded fools like that were in the minority.

you act like black people in philly are just trying to be like people from nyc. when that couldn't be further from the truth. people from philly ain't got an inferiority complex and for the most part don't spend their time worrying about people from anywhere else. but if there was any universal feeling about new york it wasn't like they we were begging for ny to like us, if anything we considered them a rival.

but even so, when people came down from ny to live here they might have gotten a hard time, but if they were cool eventually they'd find their circle and their friends. we wouldn't just hate someone cause they're born somewhere else.

close minded people are everywhere but you make it sound like all of dc is. which just isn't even the truth because i know plenty of dc. black white or salvadoran, none of them are like this.

i don't know what's wrong with the people from dc who post here, but down there most aren't like this in my experience.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:02 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
honestly you should probably just stop posting about dc.

dc is def one of the coolest cities in this country but the way you act and talk makes dc look like a bunch of awful close minded people.

i mean honestly? you're proud about being mean to teenagers who came from somewhere else? you shun people who don't dress like you? you make is sound like people in dc are catty like suburban white chicks.

i'm sure glad the black people in philly ain't for the most part like you, otherwise i imagine i would have had a really crap life growing up white here. not saying i never got crap for being white. but close minded fools like that were in the minority.

you act like black people in philly are just trying to be like people from nyc. when that couldn't be further from the truth. people from philly ain't got an inferiority complex and for the most part don't spend their time worrying about people from anywhere else. but if there was any universal feeling about new york it wasn't like they we were begging for ny to like us, if anything we considered them a rival.

but even so, when people came down from ny to live here they might have gotten a hard time, but if they were cool eventually they'd find their circle and their friends. we wouldn't just hate someone cause they're born somewhere else.

close minded people are everywhere but you make it sound like all of dc is. which just isn't even the truth because i know plenty of dc. black white or salvadoran, none of them are like this.

i don't know what's wrong with the people from dc who post here, but down there most aren't like this in my experience.
Well considering we are adults now, I would hope people don't think this way anymore. We are talking about when we were kids and clothes, and image etc. were important. Stop acting like you didn't experience this in High School. I have plenty of friends that moved away and experienced the same thing from other cities around the country especially being from DC. "What are you wearing and why are you wearing it?" "What does that word even mean?" "What kind of horrible music is that?" etc.....LOL...much like you all said to us now even when you guys are adults. I see DC is still the bud of jokes because we are different.

Look how everyone on this message board put down GoGo telling us how much it sucks and how you all hate it. Where did we say we hate any form of music from all of your cities? What did we say about anybody else's music in a negative light? But that is why it's so hard for people to turn a mirror on themselves. You all feel like it's ok to put down what we do here in DC yet we shouldn't show you all the same hate the whole country always seems to show us when we step outside the DMV. I'm not talking about this tiny little message board either. I'm sure every local from DC knows exactly what I'm talking about because we don't fit in with anybody else. We get made fun of wherever we go especially in the black community. That is why we act like we do. We do feel alone so we stick up for our own and we stick together. This entire message board attacks DC's culture unprovoked. That is why we retaliate.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:06 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
The GoGo culture according to users description seems conformist, exclusive, cultish, racist, and antidemocratic. Similar to Nazi culture on a smaller scale.

Last edited by grapico; 04-03-2011 at 09:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City