Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which City Has The Better Nightlife
NYC 125 81.70%
DC 28 18.30%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:56 AM

46 posts, read 79,218 times

Advertisements

I see it's everybody hates DC week I guess. And I guess degrading GoGo music is also cool this week. I fell out of my seat laughing at DC finest response about the New Yorkers with the three slashes in their eyebrows and the blond gumby haircuts, thats how I remember New Yorkers when I was younger. And is it me or was StuddedLeather denying that New Yorkers were the first to start styling gold fronts. But back to the main subject of course New York has better nightlife than DC, its about 14 times larger city proper wise so it should have a better selection of nightlife options. On the other hand as a black male I prefer the nightlife options in DC over New York. Don't get me wrong New Yorks a fabulous city but places like DC and Atlanta are just my style. And pwright1 is right about DC having two different cultures, GoGo and non-GoGo. GoGo is the culture of the streets in DC. Without any links to the GoGo culture you wouldn't last a day on the streets. So if you know anything you would at least let your face be seen even it you really didn't like GoGo. And is it me or do others feel like the whole hip-hop/rap genre was a scam or maybe it's just that I'm older. Just think about it, you can take someone else creativity and talk in a rhyming sequence over it and make millions. You can speed it up, slow it down, add different samples or play it with different instruments. Basically someone found a way to mass market old music and the reason they can get away with it is because the younger generations never heard the original music. Some tracks are put together with so many different samples in a sequence that it's almost a totally different song, that I can appreciate but now as I look back people were foolish to call Dre, Puffy, MC Eight and others musical geniuses when they didn't change anything on the original music. Biggie, Tupac and other rappers were just quoting what they heard on the streets and if you were already on the streets everything they were saying was old news. Wu Tang on the other hand sampled with a whole new style and don't get as much credit. And now because of groups like Guy and Keith Sweat RnB followed the same path as rap.So who is rap going to sample off of if the new RnB is sampling off of the old RnB. Maybe it's just me but I'm feeling that my later youth was a big scam as far as music is concerned. Real music died with Maze, Prince, Rick James and others in the mid 80's.

Last edited by nyanti; 04-04-2011 at 03:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 06:37 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
NY dudes are loud off brands. You bammas following LA culture with all the gang banging which is a disgrace. Even JAY-Z said that Biggie would be hurt to see NY gangbang and following an LA thing. Point blank when Snoop and the Dawg Pound came through to make a video dissin NY back in the day. Do you really think Snoop could come to DC and make a video dissin DC? He would be taking a dirt nap.
ny had gangs from the start. might not have been crips, bloods and ms but ny always had gangs.

ny has also always been known for wild **** so who cares if the wild **** is coming from wild dudes repping a set/gang/color of a bandana? its still terrible, random violence.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:47 AM
eek

if two ppl from dc wasn't making the dmv area in general look bad then nobody would clown dc.

but this whole tough guy, we're better than ny, gogo is better than rap type BULL is BULL. nobody is trying to hear that. this guy is buggin.

nobody, NOBODY ****s with gogo outside of the immediate dmv area and like eastern nc. so one or two producers have sampled. and? thats what hip hop producers do. *****s sampling poison but it doesn't mean they're into hair/glam bands. like i said, before you speak on who samples what, understand how producing in hip hop works. its about "can i flip this and turn it into gold" or what.

and as far as style...come on, son. dc. vs. ny. style. fashion.

foh with that. its not even worth wasting my time posting about.

and nobody here is scared of dc. just like if one of us goes there and looks for trouble if you come here and look for trouble you can get it. why glorify that tho? is that what dc is about?

dudes are glorifying their mayor being a crack head. this can't be life.

dc dudes leader was a CRACKHEAD on the glass ick and these dudes have the nerve to even speak about ny. wooooooooow.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:52 AM
eek

and wale is trash. yeah, i said it. nobody is trying to hear that dude. he had to get tossed onto ross' label because the label he originally signed to didn't know what to do with him.

nobody was giving him a chance in the industry. he basically had flocka begging the industry to put him on. he's corny. now he has to align himself with a dude that is infatuated with the whole mafioso, colombian druglord NEW YORK rap that raekwon started way back when, just to get put on. again. this clown is gonna end up on xxl's freshman cover again lol.

these two dc dudes are in denial. the south doesn't want dc and neither does the north and they think this somehow makes dc "cooler."

ok, we believe you.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:49 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
if two ppl from dc wasn't making the dmv area in general look bad then nobody would clown dc.

but this whole tough guy, we're better than ny, gogo is better than rap type BULL is BULL. nobody is trying to hear that. this guy is buggin.

nobody, NOBODY ****s with gogo outside of the immediate dmv area and like eastern nc. so one or two producers have sampled. and? thats what hip hop producers do. *****s sampling poison but it doesn't mean they're into hair/glam bands. like i said, before you speak on who samples what, understand how producing in hip hop works. its about "can i flip this and turn it into gold" or what.

and as far as style...come on, son. dc. vs. ny. style. fashion.

foh with that. its not even worth wasting my time posting about.

and nobody here is scared of dc. just like if one of us goes there and looks for trouble if you come here and look for trouble you can get it. why glorify that tho? is that what dc is about?

dudes are glorifying their mayor being a crack head. this can't be life.

dc dudes leader was a CRACKHEAD on the glass ick and these dudes have the nerve to even speak about ny. wooooooooow.

OK....first of all....you need to go back and read the comments in this thread. Top of page 12 from none other than EEK!!! You guys attacked us first. Like I said before, it's so funny how you all seem to think it's ok to put down our city and expect us not to come back at you all. Go back and read! And since you missed the memo....the crack comparison was about unity. The black community was ravaged by crack and unity and helping each other out was the only way to get through that time. Maybe if black people in NYC had any say so in their community, they would have been able to help each other out too.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-04-2011 at 08:11 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 07:52 AM

159 posts, read 279,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
OK....first of all....you need to go back and read the comments in this thread. You guys attacked us first. Like I said before, it's so funny how you all seem to think it's ok to put down our city and expect us not to come back at you all. Go back and read!
No bullsh*t....

People must think we some suckas or sumthin.
Come at us and we gonna do the same thing to you point blank.

Is DC the only city that doesn't kiss NYC's ass?

Wanna know why most DC people dislike NYC?
Because y'all talk way too much sh**.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:02 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
The GoGo culture according to users description seems conformist, exclusive, cultish, racist, and antidemocratic. Similar to Nazi culture on a smaller scale.
Corn anyone?

Old 04-04-2011, 08:04 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
This is where the conversation took a turn for the worst!!!! Top of page 12!!! And look who started it, none other than EEK!!! Yet, he/she doesn't realize he/she insulted us first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
its called hip hop.

and gogo isn't the equivalent of anything because its nothing special. yeah, i said it.

there have been full fledged movements based on music genres and you're sitting there putting weak ass gogo on this pedestal with them? please.

NY alone and by itself has had more musical movements than dc by far. BY FAR. speaking of duplicating the identity of a city, you guys have never had a successful, not even REMOTELY successful hip hop artist. all you guys do over there is bicker with crab in the barrel mentality against your own so NONE of you get on.

back to gogo tho. nobody outside of dc even likes it like that. you can KEEP it. those of us in 2011 are too busy listening to the remaining GOOD MUSIC that is still left.
Yeah...it was you!

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-04-2011 at 08:31 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This is where the conversation took a turn for the worst!!!! Top of page 12!!! And look who started it, none other than EEK!!! Yet, he/she doesn't realize he/she insulted us first!
eek always does that......

YouTube - youtube plus eek vs dc

Old 04-04-2011, 08:13 AM

skip to 2:20 on that video....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City