Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which City Has The Better Nightlife
NYC 125 81.70%
DC 28 18.30%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 08:43 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,437 times

Advertisements

nyc has the best nightlife in the country, possibly world. but why are people hating on go go? at least dc came up with something. half your cities haven't come up with crap. half your cities jumped on nyc's bandwagon with hip hop. even eazy e was influenced by new york hip hop.

dc's its own trend setter with a unique style. can't say that for too many cities nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 08:52 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,313 times
I have been looking for an open thread. Many of the interesting City vs City threads relating to DC are closed.

Qualifications- been in the nightlife game since 1993 as a dj and talent purchaser. Originally from NY/NJ, lived in 7 countries, miami for 8 years, other stints in other states, and now recently moved to DC. It is not all black and white and it has to be broken down. In short, DC can be compared to a bigger Hoboken, NJ but with DC having the national institutes.

Ever since moving from Miami, I have been researching what makes DC tick in terms of nightlife. I have been researching the types of people, jobs, social events, and economy that make DC what it is in order to figure out why DC is not a nightlife industry Mecca why I have faced so many frustrations. I have talked to club and bar owners to find out why DC has a "if ain't broken, don't fix it attitude". It was presented that clientele will always be there and no need to try to pick up new business. I won't present all my research findings but I will submit some baseline info.

Educational and economic contributions such as colleges and students, and jobs:

DC is smaller with a greater college town and government presence compared to NY (in terms of size). Because of this, the community is that of transient and doesn't make for great cultivation. The majority in DC are out to have a good time and to socialize. They are not really in tune into the latest non-mainstream artists or dj acts coming to down from overseas or other states. They are not about freak-nik or Ibiza.

Radio:

NYC has at least 6 mainstream radio stations in the Pop/hip hop/latin with over 40 competitive and influential radio djs that are providing not only promo music material via the air waves, conducting interviews with stars, but also have regular gigs locally and abroad to continue breaking tunes, collaborating with other artists, and exposing NY culture. DC on the other, radio is nearly non-existent and the Djs are not as "on their grind" as they are in NY such as Funk Master Flex, Envy, Camilo, Dj Enuff, and the list goes on... Can't forget NY radio hosts and morning shows that get syndicated.

Record Industry and Music Stores:

Before turning digital, NY catered to all music enthusiasts and continue to do so to a certain extent with their brick and mortar shops that was visited by all the upcoming artists like the early rappers and djs. Record labels based in NY contribute to the success of many international brands. International record labels and production teams cash in on NY's nightlife. DC has it's own veteran dj/producers with their own labels that refuse to dj or cultivate the scene in DC because of the red tape and lack of "nightlife knowledge". (I was told personally)

Nightclubs:

Nightclubs in NY are ran and owned by world renowned moguls with experience. DC has lounges and venues open and ran by previous promoters from DC. 2 Ibiza brand clubs are opening up in NY this and next month. DC doesn't have any such association. NY has regular record label promotional club events and the biggest night clubs like Pacha, Cielo, etc. NY is known for long after hour sets by legendary dj residents. DC has no world renowned resident dj, let alone any legendary over 30 djs like a Funkmaster flex, Danny Tenaglia, etc....

Accessibility:

DC has NY beat hands down in terms of being able to do a quick swoop. You can do a quick run for a drink and be home by 12AM with no parking meters, no traffic, and no high prices even on a Saturday Night. You can hop from bar to club freely and hop in a cab and hit the next joint. NY is dreadful when it comes to hopping and is such an adventure. If you are not a native, after one club or lounge, you are ready to go home (not before paying $30 at the car garage). I recommend DC for someone not too much into a hard core scene but enjoys the bar/college to mid 20s scene. NY if you are into seeing your favorite record label artists and bands.

Atmosphere and Swag:

DC nightlife is greatly influenced by embassy expats, government workers, and college students. There is hardly any swag at the main venues. There is a high-school prom feel when you are in DC clubs. Many are in suits or office attire. It makes for great happy hour but club gear is non-existent in DC.

Comparisons:

Why are there so many blogs and articles expressing the "why, if, will ever, or how DC is becoming cool"? If a city has articles generated questioning or revealing its progress in coolness, then at some point, it wasn't a cool city and can't possibly compete on the same level of current cool and vibrant cities.

Point being- DC is her own lady and shouldn't be compared. She is stubborn and should be accepted for how she is. NY is a ****** beast- period!

Old 10-18-2013, 12:13 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
I have been looking for an open thread. Many of the interesting City vs City threads relating to DC are closed.

Qualifications- been in the nightlife game since 1993 as a dj and talent purchaser. Originally from NY/NJ, lived in 7 countries, miami for 8 years, other stints in other states, and now recently moved to DC. It is not all black and white and it has to be broken down. In short, DC can be compared to a bigger Hoboken, NJ but with DC having the national institutes.

Ever since moving from Miami, I have been researching what makes DC tick in terms of nightlife. I have been researching the types of people, jobs, social events, and economy that make DC what it is in order to figure out why DC is not a nightlife industry Mecca why I have faced so many frustrations. I have talked to club and bar owners to find out why DC has a "if ain't broken, don't fix it attitude". It was presented that clientele will always be there and no need to try to pick up new business. I won't present all my research findings but I will submit some baseline info.

DC is smaller with a greater college town and government presence compared to NY (in terms of size). Because of this, the community is that of transient and doesn't make for great cultivation. The majority in DC are out to have a good time and to socialize. They are not really in tune into the latest non-mainstream artists or dj acts coming to down from overseas or other states. They are not about freak-nik or Ibiza.

Radio:

NYC has at least 6 mainstream radio stations in the Pop/hip hop/latin with over 40 competitive and influential radio djs that are providing not only promo music material via the air waves, conducting interviews with stars, but also have regular gigs locally and abroad to continue breaking tunes, collaborating with other artists, and exposing NY culture. DC on the other, radio is nearly non-existent and the Djs are not as "on their grind" as they are in NY such as Funk Master Flex, Envy, Camilo, Dj Enuff, and the list goes on... Can't forget NY radio hosts and morning shows that get syndicated.

Before turning digital, NY catered to all music enthusiasts and continue to do so to a certain extent with their brick and mortar shops that was visited by all the upcoming artists like the early rappers and djs. Record labels based in NY contribute to the success of many international brands. International record labels and production teams cash in on NY's nightlife. DC has it's own veteran dj/producers with their own labels that refuse to dj or cultivate the scene in DC because of the red tape and lack of "nightlife knowledge". (I was told personally)

Nightclubs:

Nightclubs in NY are ran and owned by world renowned moguls with experience. DC has lounges and venues open and ran by previous promoters from DC. 2 Ibiza brand clubs are opening up in NY this and next month. DC doesn't have any such association. NY has regular record label promotional club events and the biggest night clubs like Pacha, Cielo, etc. NY is known for long after hour sets by legendary dj residents. DC has no world renowned resident dj, let alone any legendary over 30 djs like a Funkmaster flex, Danny Tenaglia, etc....

Accessibility:

DC has NY beat hands down in terms of being able to do a quick swoop. You can do a quick run for a drink and be home by 12AM with no parking meters, no traffic, and no high prices even on a Saturday Night. You can hop from bar to club freely and hop in a cab and hit the next joint. NY is dreadful when it comes to hopping and is such an adventure. If you are not a native, after one club or lounge, you are ready to go home (not before paying $30 at the car garage). I recommend DC for someone not too much into a hard core scene but enjoys the bar/college to mid 20s scene. NY if you are into seeing your favorite record label artists and bands.

Atmosphere and Swag:

DC nightlife is greatly influenced by embassy expats, government workers, and college students. There is hardly any swag at the main venues. There is a high-school prom feel when you are in DC clubs. Many are in suits or office attire. It makes for great happy hour but club gear is non-existent in DC.

Comparisons:

Why are there so many blogs and articles expressing the "why, if, will ever, or how DC is becoming cool"? If a city has articles generated questioning or revealing its progress in coolness, then at some point, it wasn't a cool city and can't possibly compete on the same level of current cool and vibrant cities.

Point being- DC is her own lady and shouldn't be compared. She is stubborn and should be accepted for how she is. NY is a ****** beast- period!
There is a reason for what you say and it's listed below:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZaVA3NS7zE

D.C.'s nightlife is only good for one race and that is black. Why? The same reason San Fran's nightlife is not for black people by any stretch of the imagination. You have to have other races to have nightlife cater to them. Remember, all the other races just got to D.C. about 8 years ago. D.C. has some of the most popular (black clubs) in the country. Infact, many would argue D.C.'s nightlife is better for black people than NYC.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:27 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,664 times
Seriously? NYC by far. Heck I could name quite a few cities that have better nightlife than DC alone.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:52 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
NYC by a mile

Old 10-20-2013, 10:36 AM

204 posts, read 309,489 times
Miami nuff said....

Old 10-25-2013, 01:13 PM

67 posts, read 95,925 times
This isn't really a fair comparison. NYC has 10x as many bars and clubs has several times the number of people and has much wider taste ranges. For instance you can find dive, rock n roll and metal bars in NYC, Chicago, LA...well just about any major city other than DC.

But the girl to guy ratio is really our of whack here. Going by the statistics, there are supposed to be a large number of single women in DC...but it doesn't seem they go out much.

Just check this foto and count the number of helmets as opposed to women. Then go back and see if any of the women are attractive.
Attached Thumbnails
Nyc vs DC(Nightlife Only)-ultrabar-nightclub-washington-dc.jpg  

Old 10-25-2013, 01:36 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,206,627 times
Quote:

Radio:

Nightclubs:

Accessibility:

Atmosphere and Swag:

Comparisons:

Curious, what did you mean by that? WPGC, WKYS, and HOT 99.5 may not be on the level of say HOT 97 or Power 105.1 or Z100 but they be keeping us locals informed for the most part. And they do conduct interviews with artists, they're just normally taped online. I do wish they would do live interviews and live freestyles like the NYC Hip Hop/R&B stations though. Can't speak for our EDM and Rock stations, rarely ever listen to them.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:43 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,769 times
My only question is who actually admits to voting for DC? I mean, DC is a great city, and all, but comparing DC nightlife to NYC??

Old 10-25-2013, 01:45 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,206,627 times
Quote:

Radio:

Nightclubs:

Accessibility:

Atmosphere and Swag:

Comparisons:

What about Thievery Corporation? They operate the Eighteenth Street Lounge in Dupont Circle and it's often classed for being one of the best nightlife venues in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City