Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which City Has The Better Nightlife
NYC 125 81.70%
DC 28 18.30%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:56 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Ugh! Reminds me of L.A. Lmfao
I experienced L.A. about a month ago, its crazy for a city that big you would think clubs would stay open until 5 am, but at least they do have some after hours spots though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 12:07 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I experienced L.A. about a month ago, its crazy for a city that big you would think clubs would stay open until 5 am, but at least they do have some after hours spots though.
I know right!

I have a friend from L.A and she said "So when you come you can go with me to this "Kick Back" I was all "WTF is a Kick Back?!?" We went to one after the club. But I guess that term is common in the West? Never heard it here!

Old 04-01-2011, 06:48 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
I know right!

I have a friend from L.A and she said "So when you come you can go with me to this "Kick Back" I was all "WTF is a Kick Back?!?" We went to one after the club. But I guess that term is common in the West? Never heard it here!
NYC, has way more nightlife options than DC. A better poll would have been between Brooklyn and DC. Plus, NYC has a better bar scene which DC lacks in some areas. DC is more of a lounge city.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:02 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Actually I don't think it's that simple, Yea NY is bigger with more options, no question. But I have some friends from the DC and Baltimore areas who said they prefer DC clubs over the ones in NY, they felt that they really couldn't get down with the clubs in NYC and they were not the best fit for them...With all that said NY is #1 in overall nightlife i'm not going to sit here and be foolish, but DC does offer you enough not to have to ride 4 hours up to go experience real nightlife. Nor do you have to take a 45 min drive to AC cause the clubs close at 2 (Just a little shot for all the Philly posters )

As has been stated numerous times, first the clubs in DC are only open 1 hour later 2 days a week and two there are many dozens of clubs open till 4 and 5am many days a week in Philly; they just require a special license for after hours. That mantra is extremely uninformed and using this criteria the clubs in NYC are open a cummulative 26 hours later than DC each week vs your claim (well have seen from many and honestly you would by no means be the largest culprit on this tact) which has DC clubs open 2 hours per week longer than Philly excluding the after hours clubs which stay open later than DC (even on weeknights).

Philadelphia After Hours

Old 04-01-2011, 07:24 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
As has been stated numerous times, first the clubs in DC are only open 1 hour later 2 days a week and two there are many dozens of clubs open till 4 and 5am many days a week in Philly; they just require a special license for after hours. That mantra is extremely uninformed and using this criteria the clubs in NYC are open a cummulative 26 hours later than DC each week vs your claim (well have seen from many and honestly you would by no means be the largest culprit on this tact) which has DC clubs open 2 hours per week longer than Philly excluding the after hours clubs which stay open later than DC (even on weeknights).

Philadelphia After Hours

I know you have a hatred for go-gos but some of them don't let out until 3:45 - 4 am.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:35 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I know you have a hatred for go-gos but some of them don't let out until 3:45 - 4 am.

I think someone is going to have to take me to one of these go-gos

Old 04-01-2011, 01:10 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,558 times
Well New York wins. I voted for NYC. I like partying in NYC because I'm such a bar hopper. I've outgrown clubs so give me a bar on the Lower East Side over some fancy schmancy club any day. I love to just go from bar to bar in NYC have a drink and off to next destination. There's only so many bars one can go to in DC although I do plenty of bar hopping in DC as well. The fact that the bars stay open longer definitely helps. So yeah NYC is a great party city and the trains are running 24/7 which is also helpful.

At the same time I say that DC is no slouch there's plenty of fun bars in DC as well.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:16 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
NYC's nightlife pretty much destroys that of any other city in the U.S., with the possible exception of Las Vegas. But that's different.

To DC's credit, it's nightlife has gotten significantly more varied in recent years. But it's not going to approach NYC's anytime soon.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:27 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Is DC the new SJ? OP, are you Durf2?

Old 04-01-2011, 01:28 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Factory workers get out at 4am/5am in some places too, but that doesn't mean it's better than NYC nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City