Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which City Has The Better Nightlife
NYC 125 81.70%
DC 28 18.30%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 11:31 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Again that is all fine but all that being said that does not interest me at all, and agree DC has great nightlife in general but it is not NYC; which is the point of this thread. This thread is not which city has the best go-go it is which has the best nightlife and while go-go is a part of this night life it by no means means defines it. So you win on go-go and lose on night life; seems very simple really

so Phildelphia has the best mummers parties; does that make Philly the best nightlife in the country, well no
That is basically it in a nut shell. Black people in DC would say no, NYC night life is not better than DC because black people in DC like GoGo better than rap. Every other race would say NYC has better night life than DC. We are ok with that. This is Chocolate city you know. Ask national rap artists and they will tell you, GoGo is #1 and hip hop or whatever other music is #2 in DC. We are the only city in America with this dynamic.

To make it as an artist in Hip Hop, it is known that you must win your city support first. Every rapper ever to try to come out of DC has been silenced and hated on because it's GoGo or bust in DC. Wale was the first to win DC over. How, brilliantly mixing rap with GoGo music. And look where he is now. Ever wonder how Chocolate city the capital of black America never had rappers make it out for 40 years? GoGo is the answer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 11:35 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
Because it offers something that NY cant.... GOGO

^^^ That's what MD is getting at if you guys just read between the lines for crying out loud. What City other than NY has there own Music genre with there own Award Shows (Which is held at the Convention Center each year BTW)?

DC AA community is by far the most unique AA community in this Country because they do everything the opposite from the rest of the AA communities from all over the country. GOGO been had a chance to go nation wide back in the 90's when Russel Simmons tryed to signed a local GOGO band onto his lable, but they didn't want to because they wanted to keep GOGO a DC thing. Hip-Hop and GOGO came out around the same years while NY decided to take hip-hop main stream DC decided to keep GOGO Local and after seeing what HIP HOP has became today I see why DC made that choice. While New Yorkers are complaining on how other people from other regions are messing up there craft that they created DC is simply enjoying there's at home and selfishly keeping it to there selves with no problems at all.

If you take away GOGO from DC's Night life, DC would still have a ton to offer, but it's just that the Native AA communities much rather prefer to have GOGO's than anything else.

So Boom, there it is..
dude straight up, if things were reversed and people in nyc had tried to keep hip hop regional and dc people tried to take gogo nationwide, we'd still be sitting here today with hip hop as a worldwide musical genre and gogo and dc regional thing.

you really think hip hop needed to be promoted to be what it is today?

you really think that if only dc gogo bands wanted to be popular they would be?

no matter how underground a band or a musical genre tries to be, if it's good and people like it will gain popularity. that has not happened to gogo.

Quote:
No one is arguing that DC has a better nightlife. He brought up gogo just to let people know how relevent it was to DC's AA community for Nightlife. You and Kid always take things above and beyond LOL. We know NY has more to offer, but DC is still No slouch in that department either.

No Pun BTW
haha okay fine.

and for the record i don't have a problem with gogo. i don't know much about it. i got some chuck brown on my computer tho, **** ain't bad. i don't know how much respect he gets in dc today, but people tell me he like started gogo. i don't listen to it much but i'm not going to hate on it.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
That is basically it in a nut shell. Black people in DC would say no, NYC night life is not better than DC because black people in DC like GoGo better than rap. Every other race would say NYC has better night life than DC. We are ok with that. This is Chocolate city you know. Ask national rap artists and they will tell you, GoGo is #1 and hip hop or whatever other music is #2 in DC. We are the only city in America with this dynamic.
if you really think that you're delusional.

american black man ≠ dc black man

dude i grew up in an almost entirely black neighborhood, my grade school was something like 85% black. wasn't anyone talking about gogo then, anyone i talk to now ain't talking about it either.

again, it's great you got your own, thing. but you can't have it both ways. one seconds it's a dc only thing and no one else gets it. next thing i know it's black people everywhere no gogo is number one.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:42 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:

To make it as an artist in Hip Hop, it is known that you must win your city support first. Every rapper ever to try to come out of DC has been silenced and hated on because it's GoGo or bust in DC. Wale was the first to win DC over. How, brilliantly mixing rap with GoGo music. And look where he is now. Ever wonder how Chocolate city the capital of black America never had rappers make it out for 40 years? GoGo is the answer!

well am curious then what do you like the development in DC being driven by the gentrification and outside influence or the roots of the city - it wont retain both

Old 04-02-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
if you really think that you're delusional.

american black man ≠ dc black man

dude i grew up in an almost entirely black neighborhood, my grade school was something like 85% black. wasn't anyone talking about gogo then, anyone i talk to now ain't talking about it either.

again, it's great you got your own, thing. but you can't have it both ways. one seconds it's a dc only thing and no one else gets it. next thing i know it's black people everywhere no gogo is number one.
Wow....you and Kidphilly have really bad reading comprehension skills!

I said black people in DC would say DC has better nightlife than DC. Who said anything about black people in other area's? Better yet, why would we care what black people think in other area's? I already told you we think they are bammas. I'm not making this up. This is what people from DC say about black people from other cities.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:48 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:

I said black people in DC would say DC has better nightlife than DC. Who said anything about black people in other area's? Better yet, why would we care what black people think in other area's? I already told you we think they are bammas. I'm not making this up. This is what people from DC say about black people from other cities.

sounds like a herd mentality

Old 04-02-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:

you're totally right my comprehension skills must be lacking right now because i didn't see that in dc below when i first read it. my bad

Quote:

missed that in dc and that made what you say mean something else entirely, my bad

Old 04-02-2011, 11:53 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
LOL, yeah it's wild and crazy and we do have Gospel GOGO as well.
Yea it's that serious in DC, although I think some Go-Go has changed for the worst, but even Kirk Franklin recently came to DC and had to get a taste of the Go-Go at church...

YouTube - DC Teaches Kirk Franklin How to Chop {Gospel GoGo}

Let's not get off topic though, NYC's nightlife is still more widespread and has more options than DC.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
well am curious then what do you like the development in DC being driven by the gentrification and outside influence or the roots of the city - it wont retain both
That's the huge factor people need to understand about DC and I'm glad you asked that. DC's culture is not engulfed in it's neighborhood architecture and "character" as you guys always talk about lol.... The black culture in PG and Montgomery County MD is the same black culture as the city. In fact, most of the black people in those counties are from DC originally. DC will always be a black city but diversity is great. I love it. I don't mind it really. Our culture isn't where we live, it's who we are in the DMV. That is what we call ourselves now. The DMV!

Old 04-02-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Yea it's that serious in DC, although I think some Go-go has changed for the worst, but even Kirk Franklin recently came to DC and had to get a taste of the Go-Go at church...

YouTube - DC Teaches Kirk Franklin How to Chop {Gospel GoGo}

Let's not get off topic though, NYC's nightlife is still more widespread and has more options than DC.
Hey...!!!!

I was there last week!!!!!

It was all the way live in there!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City