Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2015, 06:41 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,521,678 times

Advertisements

I love living in Baltimore. I love the trees and the old brick the architecture. I love the non-pretentiousness of the city, yet it still has things to do in terms of the arts. I even like the dinginess and grit of the city. However, I'd like to live in a place that's equally non-pretentious and laidback, but more diverse (there are few immigrant communities here and the LGBT community is surprisingly small).

So, what city is like a just as laidback and down-to-earth as Baltimore, but more diverse? The first city that came to mind is Phily. But I'm worried that what I'd be gaining in diversity I'd be losing in laidbackness. The second city that came to mind was St. Louis, but I've never really been there. Any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 08:38 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,659,384 times
St. Louis is Baltimore's brother from another mother. The two cities are incredibly similar in lots of ways: Both are independent cities, both metros are nearly the same size, and both are old industrial cities that straddle the north and south.

St. Louis has a relatively large and open LGBT community. While it's not an immigrant magnet compared to large coastal cities, it's quite diverse and multicultural in the city and inner-ring suburbs.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:14 PM

93,401 posts, read 124,052,832 times
What about Cleveland?

Old 07-19-2015, 10:48 AM

233 posts, read 334,291 times
I'm not sure St Louis is especially more diverse than Baltimore. Both are largely black and white cities with relatively small asian and hispanic populations. Wikipedia tells me that it does have a large Bosnian community.

As for Philadelphia, it is hard for me to assess the city's laid-backness, since I've lived in the area since I was six, and so the city's social climate is the default to me. I can say that Baltimore didn't strike me as particularly more laid back than what I'm used to, but I have only visited briefly.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:36 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,217,234 times
Philly. Looked and felt more diverse than Bmore when I visited. As for its pace, it was somewhat more laid-back than DC if that'll give you an angle.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:59 AM

42 posts, read 47,576 times
Living in st Louis I can say the burbs are completely white but the inner city is mostly black . the north side you will be lucky to find a white person in sight and the south side is about half and half depending on what neighborhood your in. St Louis really in my opinion isn't that diverse in the inner city. I live in downtown and so I'm always walking in inner city neighborhoods and I'd say it's more like 65% black 30% white rather then wikipedia's 49% black 43%white
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City