Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 07:22 PM

178 posts, read 583,216 times

Advertisements

I swear, I saw this no where on VS! I am getting too much personal info about each city with the actual site, so would really like to compare them side by side. Brief descriptions would be best based on your opinion. I am looking for the differences and similarities, and which is better for each thing, not all together. Thanks!

1. climate (each season)
2. outdoorsy stuff, hiking, walking, swimming, forests-trails-canopy, mt biking and ease of getting to it (can you walk there, or how long is the drive time to get there)

3. safety
4. housing type/looks (ranch/row home/cape etc)
5. types of people-why they go/move there, general population looks/acts
6. cleanness of the city, maintained areas no trash (even recycling can get into here)

7. caring about your city/neighbors/environment
8. general "feel" of the city (happy, friendly, community etc.)
9. raising a young family (parks, rec, yards, other young parents etc)
10. how you personally feel about one or the other and why (I like xx b/c I am this type of person), and have you lived there?

Right now I do not need to get into taxes/house prices/auto/jobs/real estate or anything like that...I can continue with that type of stuff later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 08:55 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
I'm assuming you're talking about Greenville, SC. If so, here's how I see things (I'm more familiar with Greenville though), although you should also try posting in each city's individual forum also to get even more detailed information.

1. climate (each season): Greenville is in the foothills, while Asheville is in the mountains. Asheville's spring and summers will be milder, but winters will be colder with more snowfall.

2. outdoorsy stuff, hiking, walking, swimming, forests-trails-canopy, mt biking and ease of getting to it (can you walk there, or how long is the drive time to get there): I'd say both do pretty well in that department given their similar geographic location.

3. safety: Asheville may have the edge here because it's a smaller city, but Greenville isn't too bad.

4. housing type/looks (ranch/row home/cape etc): not too sure about this one. Of course it will depend on exactly where in the city you're looking, but I do know that Greenville has an abundance of housing subdivisions with tract housing. But it also has its fair share of TND developments with better quality housing also.

5. types of people-why they go/move there, general population looks/acts: Greenville is more conservative and business-oriented, while Asheville is more liberal and leisurely.

6. cleanness of the city, maintained areas no trash (even recycling can get into here): the downtowns of both cities are pretty clean; Asheville's has more grit in terms of having a more historic urban fabric. Outside of that, it can vary.

7. caring about your city/neighbors/environment: don't know

8. general "feel" of the city (happy, friendly, community etc.): Asheville is more hippy/alternative, while Greenville is more conservative/religious.

9. raising a young family (parks, rec, yards, other young parents etc): I'd say Greenville is more family-friendly.

10. how you personally feel about one or the other and why (I like xx b/c I am this type of person), and have you lived there?: haven't lived in either, but neither one would exactly be a fit for me right now, partly because I enjoy living in larger metros. If it was for a job opportunity that paid enough or offered upward mobility, that would be different. But Greenville is larger and offers more in terms of amenities that come along with being a larger metro, so I would lean more towards it.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:19 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,169 times
Asheville if you are liberal, Greenville if you are conservative.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:19 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Asheville if you are liberal, Greenville if you are conservative.
Keep in mind the liberal, weird, Asheville doesn't extend past the city limits and the rest of Buncombe County is pretty rural and doesn't exactly strike me as a bastion of liberalism. Greenville isn't as bad as it may seem, but I was living in Upstate SC during the 2008 election and it was McCain country.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:19 AM

Can you describe what conservative and liberal/hippy are to you?

Are we talking Hippy/liberal as in not showering and smoking a joint in the street or the mentality of organic gardening and health?

And are we talking conservative as in thinking the shoulder is dangerous to reveal and skirt wearing folk or suits and briefcases?

I ask, because your view on it would be totally different than mine.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:22 AM

Think I will get more responses if I re-post in the NWC spot?

Thanks all

Old 04-01-2011, 08:01 AM

OK, moved it over. Thanks! Now how to I delete this one???

Old 04-01-2011, 09:34 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,608,098 times
This exact topic has been discussed in the Greenville, SC and Western NC sub-forums.

Overall, some people paint stereotypical images of both cities (even from some posters that don't reside in the area). In reality, Greenville and Asheville have a mix of both conservative and liberals. Greenville (within the city limits) is especially liberal/progressive/forward thinking. Asheville (outside of the city limits) is conservative.

IMO, this is the best part of the US (Southern Apps/Blue Ridge: Upstate of SC, Western NC, far eastern TN, and NE GA): (generally) low cost of living (esp the Upstate of SC and outside of the city limits of Asheville), easy access to a multitude of outdoor activities, close to some decent beaches (esp for the Upstate), fantastic/well mannered people, and an overall very good quality of life.

So, some specifics regarding Greenville and Asheville:
(I know both in detail, as I live in Greenville and was offered several positions in the Western NC area)

Greenville, SC
Pros: much, MUCH bigger than Asheville with above average shopping (Trader Joe's, Total Wine, largest mall in SC, Apple, Ruth's Chris, Whole Foods, Costco - also: Publix is only available in SC). Much better job opportunities - Michelin and BMW have NA headquarters here - GE/Fluor have a huge presence here as well. Two interesting business points: Greenville, SC has the highest number of engineers per capita and has more foreign economic investment per capita than anywhere in the US. Southwest Airlines began service here this month.

Downtown Greenville is fantastic with Falls Park and boutique stores/great local restaurants.

Climate is much more moderate in the winter compared to Asheville. The Southern Apps/Blue Ridge "shield" the Upstate from severe cold/winter weather. It could be snowing and 35 degrees in Asheville and one hour to the south in Greenville it will be 50 degrees and sunny. Nice.

Road and mountain biking play a huge presence here. George Hincapie lives in Greenville. The famous Swamp Rabbit Trail (http://greenvillerec.com/parks/swamp-rabbit/ - broken link) offers 14 miles of paved trails. Paris Mountain State Park (2000 feet in elevation, which is adjacent to Greenville) offers great mountain biking. There are some excellent SC/NC state parks just to the north of Greenville (Caesar's Head, Jones Gap, Table Rock, Dupont [NC]) that offer additional biking trails.

Cons: sprawl/endless nondescript strip centers are plentiful outside of the city of Greenville. Infrastructure is average (this is being addressed in some areas). Heat and high humidity dominate the summer weather (although the mountains are an easy escape 30 minutes north). Upstate SC and the Piedmont are ice storm magnets in the winter due to CAD/Wedge. This same weather phenomenon can quickly cool things down in the Fall/Spring. This is not a real "scenic" city as compared to Chattanooga, TN or Asheville.

Asheville, NC
Pros: what can I say that has not already been published about Asheville? very beautiful, picturesque backdrop (in most areas) - wonderful local shops - weather is genuine four seasons (with less humidity during the Summer months than the Upstate) - incredible Fall weather (with gorgeous Fall colors) - of course, easy access to a multitude of outdoor activities with the Blue Ridge Parkway, etc etc. Asheville exhibits a vibe like no other in the Southeast

Cons: higher cost of living - everything costs more than the Upstate - higher gas, real estate, etc etc - higher income taxes in NC (especially for those in upper income brackets) - "highway use tax" on autos - Asheville is the biggest "city" in Western NC and only has about 80K people - a lack of higher end/upscale shopping when compared to the Upstate - demographics are skewed in some areas - LOTS of retirees from the northeast (especially in Hendersonville) - very limited economy: nearly all based on tourism, healthcare, service, and government

Old 04-01-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
This exact topic has been discussed in the Greenville, SC and Western NC sub-forums.

Overall, some people paint stereotypical images of both cities (even from some posters that don't reside in the area). In reality, Greenville and Asheville have a mix of both conservative and liberals. Greenville (within the city limits) is especially liberal/progressive/forward thinking. Asheville (outside of the city limits) is conservative.

IMO, this is the best part of the US (Southern Apps/Blue Ridge: Upstate of SC, Western NC, far eastern TN, and NE GA): (generally) low cost of living (esp the Upstate of SC and outside of the city limits of Asheville), easy access to a multitude of outdoor activities, close to some decent beaches (esp for the Upstate), fantastic/well mannered people, and an overall very good quality of life.

So, some specifics regarding Greenville and Asheville:
(I know both in detail, as I live in Greenville and was offered several positions in the Western NC area)

Greenville, SC
Pros: much, MUCH bigger than Asheville with above average shopping (Trader Joe's, Total Wine, largest mall in SC, Apple, Ruth's Chris, Whole Foods, Costco - also: Publix is only available in SC). Much better job opportunities - Michelin and BMW have NA headquarters here - GE/Fluor have a huge presence here as well. Two interesting business points: Greenville, SC has the highest number of engineers per capita and has more foreign economic investment per capita than anywhere in the US. Southwest Airlines began service here this month.

Downtown Greenville is fantastic with Falls Park and boutique stores/great local restaurants.

Climate is much more moderate in the winter compared to Asheville. The Southern Apps/Blue Ridge "shield" the Upstate from severe cold/winter weather. It could be snowing and 35 degrees in Asheville and one hour to the south in Greenville it will be 50 degrees and sunny. Nice.

Road and mountain biking play a huge presence here. George Hincapie lives in Greenville. The famous Swamp Rabbit Trail (http://greenvillerec.com/parks/swamp-rabbit/ - broken link) offers 14 miles of paved trails. Paris Mountain State Park (2000 feet in elevation, which is adjacent to Greenville) offers great mountain biking. There are some excellent SC/NC state parks just to the north of Greenville (Caesar's Head, Jones Gap, Table Rock, Dupont [NC]) that offer additional biking trails.

Cons: sprawl/endless nondescript strip centers are plentiful outside of the city of Greenville. Infrastructure is average (this is being addressed in some areas). Heat and high humidity dominate the summer weather (although the mountains are an easy escape 30 minutes north). Upstate SC and the Piedmont are ice storm magnets in the winter due to CAD/Wedge. This same weather phenomenon can quickly cool things down in the Fall/Spring. This is not a real "scenic" city as compared to Chattanooga, TN or Asheville.

Asheville, NC
Pros: what can I say that has not already been published about Asheville? very beautiful, picturesque backdrop (in most areas) - wonderful local shops - weather is genuine four seasons (with less humidity during the Summer months than the Upstate) - incredible Fall weather (with gorgeous Fall colors) - of course, easy access to a multitude of outdoor activities with the Blue Ridge Parkway, etc etc. Asheville exhibits a vibe like no other in the Southeast

Cons: higher cost of living - everything costs more than the Upstate - higher gas, real estate, etc etc - higher income taxes in NC (especially for those in upper income brackets) - "highway use tax" on autos - Asheville is the biggest "city" in Western NC and only has about 80K people - a lack of higher end/upscale shopping when compared to the Upstate - demographics are skewed in some areas - LOTS of retirees from the northeast (especially in Hendersonville) - very limited economy: nearly all based on tourism, healthcare, service, and government

Again thanks for the info.

Do areas outside of each city have well water, or do you know how far the town water extends (1 city over, 3 counties out etc or varies) We live 5 minutes from downtown here and have well water, and most of Maine has well water...just used to it...but we just have way more water in general!

The general consensus of ALL of the areas you listed feel more like me and my family (friendly happy attitude). We sort of feel like the odd man out both here and other places we live. I wave to all my neighbors and random people and chat to them, and often here where I am now (SE PA) we are looked at like we have 3 heads......don't care if I dropped $100 bill, don't bother me, I am in a rush.......that is the attitude we are trying to get away from.

And to the other poster, about my title (name) It's just that I am from NE and I feel like I am supposed to be in the south. All the other names I wanted were taken..sorry if it confuses people, I am not from Southern New England, it's just a name. I don't see why that would matter anyway.

I am just looking for information to base/plan our trip to NWC and SC.
Thanks!

Old 04-01-2011, 10:54 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Quote:
Are we talking Hippy/liberal as in not showering and smoking a joint in the street or the mentality of organic gardening and health?
Both

or more accurately, both in the same person or perhaps one way or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City