Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better
Minneapolis 45 75.00%
Cleveland 15 25.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 12:50 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,287,370 times

Advertisements

Oh, and here's some old Cleveland ethnic culture

YouTube - 'Kill The Irishman' Trailer HD

Based off a true story of Cleveland and its crime in the late 1970's. In 1976, for example, 36 bombs exploded in the city in the turf wars.

Documentary:

YouTube - Danny Greene:The Rise & Fall of the Irishman Documentary Trailer

Last edited by costello_musicman; 04-05-2011 at 01:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 11:31 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
I asked my wife about Mayfield Rd as a place to live near because it seems to connect all of the neat places in East Cleveland......maybe not!!

Old 04-05-2011, 11:34 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Also, the Western Reserve ended at the Cuyahoga River...so only the present day eastside was part of the Connecticut Western Reserve. This magnifies the east coast influence to the eastside set up. The housing in Cleveland Hts and Shaker Hts really illustrates the strong East Coast influence.

The westside grew more naturally Midwestern. It's important to note is that the westside didn't grow until a few decades after the founding of the city, so all the initial wealth had ready settled on the eastside. Bascially, all the old money endowments created the museums on the eastside, which today is University Circle.

The city limits of Cleveland really is the dividing line between east coast and midwestern cultures.

In regards to breakdown of populace:

Eastside: Black, Jewish, Italian, Slovenian, Polish, Asian, Lithuanian
Westside: Irish, Puerto Rican, Hungarian, Ukrainian, Slovak, Polish,
Well, I guess the Eastside is where we belong then (Jewish/Polish). Although Polish is listed twice. I definitely like the vibe and way of life on the Westside though -- blue collar, laid back, middle class, etc. like much of my family.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I asked my wife about Mayfield Rd as a place to live near because it seems to connect all of the neat places in East Cleveland......maybe not!!
Mayfield Rd today is a great place--mostly art galleries, bakeries, and Italian restaurants... very few old mafia people

And I fairly familiar as I live a block from there!

Old 04-05-2011, 01:05 PM

261 posts, read 588,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Mayfield Rd is just another way to refer to Little Italy, which is arguably the safest and one of the most thriving neighborhoods in Cleveland. Mayfield Rd and Little Italy are part of a district that is served by its own police department separate from the Cleveland police, it's perfectly fine.

The east side is Jewish territory all around but Polish is listed twice because Polish populations are on both sides of the city (East side has more of them though).

Old 04-05-2011, 03:40 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
Both are great cities but Cleveland seems to have a cooler vibe to it. And much better food!

Old 04-05-2011, 04:45 PM

252 posts, read 493,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Both are great cities but Cleveland seems to have a cooler vibe to it. And much better food!
According to who or what? As already pointed out, Minneapolis - St. Paul has a much higher foreign born population and more than likely has much more diversity in terms of food. As far as vibe is concerned, what makes you think Cleveland has a cooler vibe, especially when it is considered by most to be a dying, rust belt city? Minneapolis - St. Paul has one of the highest college populations in the country and attracts a lot of young professionals. That being said, I would think the MPLS vibe would be a bit more positive.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:52 PM

4,665 posts, read 4,980,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioDominicana View Post
Mayfield Rd is just another way to refer to Little Italy, which is arguably the safest and one of the most thriving neighborhoods in Cleveland. Mayfield Rd and Little Italy are part of a district that is served by its own police department separate from the Cleveland police, it's perfectly fine.

The east side is Jewish territory all around but Polish is listed twice because Polish populations are on both sides of the city (East side has more of them though).
Little Italy does not have its own police department. It is served by the Cleveland Police Department.

Going east, Mayfield Road leaves Little Italy and goes through Cleveland Heights, South Euclid, Lyndhurst, Mayfield Heights, etc. Those cities all have their own police departments.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Little Italy does not have its own police department. It is served by the Cleveland Police Department.

Going east, Mayfield Road leaves Little Italy and goes through Cleveland Heights, South Euclid, Lyndhurst, Mayfield Heights, etc. Those cities all have their own police departments.
He's referring to University Circle police, which patrols the area. Also Case Western Reserve has a separate police force--that makes three, without even counting the neighboring Cleveland Hts PD.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity77 View Post
According to who or what? As already pointed out, Minneapolis - St. Paul has a much higher foreign born population and more than likely has much more diversity in terms of food. As far as vibe is concerned, what makes you think Cleveland has a cooler vibe, especially when it is considered by most to be a dying, rust belt city? Minneapolis - St. Paul has one of the highest college populations in the country and attracts a lot of young professionals. That being said, I would think the MPLS vibe would be a bit more positive.
Cleveland has a definite vibe to it...you don't have to have foreign borns to have a vibe....

Of course, there is the famous Cleveland T-shirt slogan from the 1970's: "Cleveland. You've got to be tough"

And I would argue Cleveland has a better dining scene hands down than Mn-St Paul. Not only does Cleveland have the ethnic food, but we also have the celebrity and nationally renowned chefs...Iron Chef Michael Symon, James Beard Nominees: Zach Bruell, Jonathon Sawyer, Dante Boccuzzi...

Not to mention one of North America's best indoor market places...the Westside Market, built 1912.

Minneapolis beats Cleveland in alot of categories...but not food. Cleveland "takes the cake" on that one (pun intended)...just ask Mario Batali who has the best Cassata Cake in the USA:! 10 great places to discover Italy in America - USATODAY.com

In regards city vibe and culture, Anthony Bourdain of No Reservations is a big fan of the Cleveland vibe:

The Original (Goodbye Splendor) « Anthony Bourdain

Last edited by costello_musicman; 04-05-2011 at 05:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City