Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Orlando vs Atlanta
Orlando 37 32.17%
Atlanta 78 67.83%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:47 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I've lived in both. They are not alike at all.
This depends at how were looking at it. I could give you a list all the way down to tan sand in Orlando vs red clay in Atlanta to demonstrate differences. However, one could argue that low density sprawl is their unifying characteristic. Both have thriving convention markets, both have theme parks. Yet, one could also point out that they are not similar after all because of the size disparity of Orlando's tourism industry compared with Atlanta's. Then there's the corporate base and F500's in Atlanta which lend themselves to the creating that urban/suburban professional crowd that Orlando truly needs to break the chains from the service industry. However, we are growing in that direction and therefore another way you might say they are similar but on time delays. Atlanta wants to increase it's appeal as a destination the way Orlando has, and Orlando wants to bring better wages like Atlanta has. In terms of stuff going on and things to do, the cities might be similar than many are willing to admit. Lot's of great festivals, good arts scenes, excellent music, good nightlife, great food, lots of nature, green belts, and recreation around every corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Here's the thing. The OP DOES believe they are equal. Heck, he said so in this thread and in the Orlando vs DC thread.
No city equals another city, they are all different enough from one another. Comparable yes, equal no. I guess I was just giving OP the benefit of the doubt about wanting to make a legitimate comparison between two metros that offer completely different lifestyles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 06:49 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Tell me one thing ATL has that Orlando doesn't.

...and this is the point were the battle got ugly

Old 04-05-2011, 07:52 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
This depends at how were looking at it. I could give you a list all the way down to tan sand in Orlando vs red clay in Atlanta to demonstrate differences. However, one could argue that low density sprawl is their unifying characteristic. Both have thriving convention markets, both have theme parks. Yet, one could also point out that they are not similar after all because of the size disparity of Orlando's tourism industry compared with Atlanta's. Then there's the corporate base and F500's in Atlanta which lend themselves to the creating that urban/suburban professional crowd that Orlando truly needs to break the chains from the service industry. However, we are growing in that direction and therefore another way you might say they are similar but on time delays. Atlanta wants to increase it's appeal as a destination the way Orlando has, and Orlando wants to bring better wages like Atlanta has. In terms of stuff going on and things to do, the cities might be similar than many are willing to admit. Lot's of great festivals, good arts scenes, excellent music, good nightlife, great food, lots of nature, green belts, and recreation around every corner.
But I think the thing is that you could substitute Orlando in that paragraph for a handful of other cities across the country and what you've said could still ring true for the most part. The stated similarities really aren't specific to either city but are pretty common for cities.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:37 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
But I think the thing is that you could substitute Orlando in that paragraph for a handful of other cities across the country and what you've said could still ring true for the most part. The stated similarities really aren't specific to either city but are pretty common for cities.
Exactly

Old 04-06-2011, 06:30 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Truthfully, this is one of the weaknesses of these city vs. threads as most cities are different enough that once you start comparing the stated similarities, you realize that you're really just comparing normal urban things. Where we can make a valid comparison is with quantity and quality. Perhaps a city like Atlanta would have a greater quantity of something all cities have like nightlife, but maybe Orlando will have better quality, maybe not. Maybe you can't really determine quality because not everyone sees eye to eye on what they like. Maybe Atlanta has a superior quality and quantity of hip-hop clubs, while Orlando also has a higher quality and quantity of rock venues, perhaps not or perhaps Orlando only surpasses Atlanta in quality due to places like HOB and Hard Rock (among others). How do we really compare any 2 cities when I think the potential differences outweigh the similarities especially if you eliminate the obvious urban v urban ones. Consider this however, when one creates a LA vs NYC thread which compares 2 of the most different cities there could be, the differences actually become the points of discussion and drive the thread. I know what you're thinking, but LA and NYC are in the same tier, correct but size isn't harped on as much in a Houston vs LA thread, everyone acknowledges it but then lists why they personally believe Houston has smaller, but similar attributes to LA. I think the same should be applied to this thread.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:39 PM

322 posts, read 614,390 times
Orlando doesn't compare to Atlanta. It gets more tourists but thats about it.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:14 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
Orlando doesn't compare to Atlanta. It gets more tourists but thats about it.
Orlando beats Atlanta in:

Theme Parks
Oranges
Average Temperature
Basketball Playoffs (probably)

Old 11-30-2011, 12:39 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Bump:

-diversity Orlando
-nightlife Atlanta
-entertainment Atlanta
-economy Atlanta
-culture Orlando
-high culture Atlanta
-Skyline Atlanta
-museums Atlanta
-tourism Orlando
-weather Orlando
-traffic Orlando
-public transit Atlanta
-theme parks Orlando
-shopping Tie

Orlando is also in Florida, not the deep south, closer to better cities like Tampa and Miami, more socially liberal, closer to better beaches.

I think weighing the different benefits each hold, they come out even.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:36 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Wow, this one is hard. Two of my least favorite cities I've visited.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:59 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Bump:

-diversity Orlando
-nightlife Atlanta
-entertainment Atlanta
-economy Atlanta
-culture Orlando
-high culture Atlanta
-Skyline Atlanta
-museums Atlanta
-tourism Orlando
-weather Orlando
-traffic Orlando
-public transit Atlanta
-theme parks Orlando
-shopping Tie

Orlando is also in Florida, not the deep south, closer to better cities like Tampa and Miami, more socially liberal, closer to better beaches.

I think weighing the different benefits each hold, they come out even.

Orlando and Atlanta aren't that much different when it comes to diversity especially metro-wise. Atlanta blows Orlando away in regards to shopping and there's no way the culture in Orlando beats Atlanta. Atlanta is the poster child for African American Culture while Orlando really doesn't even have an identity.

Just being honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City