Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 11:55 AM

87,982 posts, read 83,805,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
You wouldn't happen to remember which restaurant it was that you ate the BBQ? Being from Lubbock, I'm just a little curious.

Blasphemy, I tell you! Blasphemy! Perhaps I'm assuming, but if that's your opinion, I think you definitely haven't had the real thing. Mexico has a distinct cuisine, and what many Americans call Mexican food is the equivalent of junk food popular around the border regions. It would be like saying all American food is hotdogs and hamburgers.

LOL, but that's why I said I was wondering if I am missing something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Real Mexican cuisine is actually one of the most diverse and delicious of any Latin American country(or any country in the Western Hempisphere). Burritos aren't really common in Mexico outside of the far northern regions. Mexican cooking varies with the mix of ingredients--the northern regions are closer to what Americans commonly think of as Mexican cooking--but nothing in Mexico gets as greasy as the cheese-covered monstrosities that pass off as Mexican food in much of the US at gimmicky chain restaurants.

If one actually travels to Mexico outside of the tourist resorts you find as much variety from the Yucatan to Oaxaca to central highlands to the Pacific coast as you would travelling in Italy or France. The cuisine of the Yucatan uses a lot of tropical ingredients like bananas, plantains, and sweet orange sauces. Which is much different than the grilled beef dishes like carne asada popular in Northern Mexico or the fish tacos of Baja or the seafood stews and Veracruz-style cooked fish of the coasts. My personal favorite is a good authentic mole dish. A good mole poblano or Oaxacan mole negro when prepared correctly, can be one of the the best food experiences in the world, with the unique mix of spices and chocolate.

I've traveled all over Mexico, and I've ate like a king (usually for cheap) throughout just about every region. Mexico is country that loves food, and the passion for cooking is evident at every festival or market or family party.

Authentic Mexican food in the US isn't really the popular Mission-style burritos(originated in Northern California) or Tex-Mex--although both can be delicious, and can be considered authentic Mexican-American styles. That being said I've found delicious, real Mexican food throughout the western US, which can be as simple as good tacos al pastor, a bowl of pozole, chiles en nogada, or even higher end versions of regional Mexican food. It's not that hard to find in California or the Southwestern states--and it's hard to pick just one place for great Mexican food. Personally I've been impressed with what I've found in Los Angeles or San Diego, along with what I grew up eating in Northern California.
Thanks for the answer! It's lunchtime, and I'm eating a bowl of canned soup. What you're describing sounds so much better, so I'll just pretend.

I have never been to Mexico, or California for that matter, and the closest I've gotten to a southwestern state is a five-day-trip to LV with a drive to the Western Rim of the Grand Canyon. It's interesting, because here in the NY/NJ metropolitan area we are known for having available just about any type of cuisine on the planet, but apparently real Mexican food did not make the list.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKxoxo View Post
What part of Texas was he from?
The food is also regional in Mexico but my favorites in general are: Menudo, sopa de fideo, molé, pan dulce, elotés. The ice cream men here sell elotés and tons of other Mexican sweets.
Um, I'm American and being here in the Valley and eating what my mum makes, no one even likes or even eats burritos. That's weird and he must be from up north.
I don't remember exactly, but for some reason I seem to think he was from eastern Texas.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:18 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,901,258 times
Quote:
Well then that's stupid because you've never been here and you've clearly never been to the Mexican side of the Rio Grande Valley (Matamoros, Nuevo Progreso, Río Bravo, and Reynosa in the Mexican state Tamaulipas) which it takes like 10 minutes to go to. You can park your car on the U.S. side and walk across. I do it ALL THE TIME. Or, you can just go to one of the many locally owned restaurants (Taco Palenque among others). Or if somebody invited you for dinner at their house (since you probably can't make it yourself).

Maybe you should read up before "calling BS" on something you don't know about. In case you didn't know, the RGV is right on the tip of Texas, on the border.
Have you ever even heard of/tasted molé? Or sopa de fideo?
Yeah, you're totally unconvincing. So why again is Mexican food in the Rio Grande Valley a million times better than Mexican food anywhere else close to the border or in any other U.S. city inundated with Mexican immigrants?

Old 04-12-2011, 01:13 PM

76 posts, read 192,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Yeah, you're totally unconvincing. So why again is Mexican food in the Rio Grande Valley a million times better than Mexican food anywhere else close to the border or in any other U.S. city inundated with Mexican immigrants?
Ok, chill, f*cking hell I was over exaggerating on purpose I didn't know you take things so seriously.
I'm just saying that the RGV is like no other place in the U.S.
Go into the Texas forum and see all the bashing it gets from people from up north and how it's supposedly "Mexico".
And you've never even been here. Why don't you visit? AND WHY DON'T YOU READ ABOUT THE RGV GOOGLE IS RIGHT THERE.

The Lower Rio Grande Valley

or look what I did, I gave you a link now shut the f*ck up.

Why don't you go to a f*cking colonia outside of McAllen and eat with one of those families, then will you be satisfied? I can't stand ignorance.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:14 PM

76 posts, read 192,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't remember exactly, but for some reason I seem to think he was from eastern Texas.
Yeah, the RGV is on the southernmost tip of Texas. The very very tip.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:16 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,901,258 times
Quote:
Ok, chill, f*cking hell I was over exaggerating on purpose I didn't know you take things so seriously.
Go into the Texas forum and see all the bashing it gets from people from up north and how it's supposedly "Mexico".
And you've never even been here. Why don't you visit? AND WHY DON'T YOU READ ABOUT THE RGV GOOGLE IS RIGHT THERE.

Why don't you go to a f*cking colonia outside of McAllen and eat with one of those families, then will you be satisfied? I can't stand ignorance.
You make me nervous

Old 04-12-2011, 04:01 PM

209 posts, read 521,627 times
Im going to say that any region not touching the border isn't going to have a clue to what "real" mexican food is.

Their are a couple of things about Mexican food that most people don't realize.

1. Burritos in the US are a fushion food. You go to California and you can literally see the transformation of the burrito to what is now commonly sold at Chipotle, Bullrito, Mission Burrito, etc. It isn't really Mexican. The Mexican Burrito is extraordinarily simple, sometimes containing nothing more then Beans inside a flour tortilla. Think PBJ minus cultural significance. Most mexicans will carry a Burrito (in texas at least) to satisfy your more hesitant anglos...it usually consists of Beans, Ground beef, Rice(not often), and a sauce that covers it (usual Queso).

2. Mexican food is extraordinarily diverse. Beans, and a Taco is hardly the extent of Mexican food.

3. In my experience, not a lot of cheese is used in authentic Mexican food. ive found this to be very true....especially in regards to Yucatecan food.

IMO, the Yucatan flavor is the very best possible mexican food you can eat. I don't really care for your more northern tastes of Mole', Menudo,etc. in fact...i hate Mole'... it is disgusting.

Yucatecan food is to die for...some of my favorite dishes:
Cochinita pibil- on a Torta topped with onions, lime juice, chili powder, and Habenero based sauce....To die for.

Panuchos

sopa de Lima'

Pollo Pibil with the sauce soaking in on a pile of hot steaming rice. Side of black beans sprinkled with a light mexican cheese.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:04 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,628,503 times
Quote:

When one is given the opportunity to present a positive attribute (such as distinct regional Mexican cuisine) it's best not to be vulgar, defensive, and with a chip on ones shoulder, thus totally negating the entire point. Also assuming everyone should know the Rio Grande Valley in South Texas is the Mexican food capital without considering Mexican communities, culinary offerings, and cultures scattered throughout the US (they have fanned out beyond the Border States too) then I would certainly say that is ignorance.

In fact Confucius say.....

....."He who Flies off the handle conveys to oneself a distorted reflection of ignorance redirected back like a boomerang, kettle must chill"!

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-12-2011 at 08:17 PM..

Old 04-12-2011, 11:26 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,802,913 times
Do people actually know the answers to these or is everyone just guessing? "Hmm, I don't really know where you'll find the best soul food, but I'll just say Atlanta because it's in the South and there are a lot of black people there, so it must be the answer"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City